[Non paid ads] Mangadex is hosting WordPress for novel translators.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by xiazixin, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    …and what? Forcing me to make a new list from the start again?

Nope thanks. Bleh. :blob_coffee:

Shio, xiazixin and Wujigege like this.
  2. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Me: From r/lightnovels to r/novel translation and then novelupdates.

As long my favorite novels/translators are on it, I'm good.

xiazixin likes this.
  3. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    For anyone here that didn't know, the Mangadex team did this not to be any kind of aggregator for novels but to give the community a free alternative to be hosted that is not WordPress, Mangadex already links any manga that has a novel directly to NovelUpdates of you want to read, I think it would be awesome if NovelUpdates had the same feature if we want to read the manga from some series, Mangadex already works like NU for some Official series, just linking to the official site of translation to be readed (ex: Mangaplus)

Shio and xiazixin like this.
  4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I almost forgot. The obligatory emoji:

[​IMG]

xiazixin likes this.
  5. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope they are literary hosting WordPress, I even make my own sites on bbis.mangadex.com. it is 100% WordPress, it even says powered by WordPress.

It use wordpress.org plugins and themes. which better than wordpress.com

it don't have WordPress core just like all other dedicated WordPress hosting and wordpress.com not as good as opening your own server.

it don't have dedicated mail server, not as good as some dedicated hosting server but same as wordpress.com

overall it's better than wordpress.com but not as good as dedicated wordpress.org servers and self hosting.

self hosting WordPress > dedicated WordPress host > mangadex > wordpress.com

@Darkaeluz it's not that we can't add MAL links on description in novel updates, it's just that unlike manga, most novels don't have manga unless later in game and no one really give a care after a series get added.

6. Silavin

Silavin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure how to feel about this after the whole manga fiasco.
    https://mangadex.org/thread/92399

It is also easy to set-up and host our own WordPress site for free. So, I'm not sure what kind of pain point this solved. If people are worried about traffic, join WuxiaWorld or some of the bigger translation sites.

Claiming it to be the biggest aggregator is also kind of a stretch since WebNovel and other publishing companies that are springing up would definitely not sign up with them. So, a ton of novels will be missing.

xiazixin and Wujigege like this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that dumb thread. I skimmed through it again, I find it laughable.
    People say that if the hobby of scanlating is too expensive that people should stop.
    What a bunch of idiots. They want their cake and want to eat it to.
    Having people work for you for free and excusing it as a hobby is just insane.
    The way I see it, readers are running sweatshops.
    I stopped reading manga years ago because the community is toxic.
    • They want things to be free but complain when others support the scanlators
    • They leave sites that become legit and call them out for betraying the community
    They want to have their cake and eat it too.
    You don't have to pay for content but someone has to.
    The excuse of scanlators dont pay authors, so they dont deserve to get paid. Is laughable, you are paying for the work involved not the content.
    Besides, if you want to take the moral high ground, consume all your content legally.
    The way things are going, due to the toxic community, human translators and scanlators will be released replaced by MTL crap.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    xiazixin likes this.
  8. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the values, you have seen what happen to pirate bay and mega-upload, they fall when they are dominating the internet, like all piracy sites they last after are dominating the markets.
    even P2P and torrent seed server got raided by anti privacy company, and mega-upload rank 16 in the world, with workers more than 3000 people literally got shutdown. what make you think a small company can lasted against those official publisher?

I don't think that post was about the money, it's about mangadex removing chapters after the official translation picked it up.

I don't think there is any point in scanlating manga when the official publisher are doing it. just like how there is no point in translating LN when publisher are publishing English translated novels, well i think web novels still have a reason to exist even if LN got translated.

If you love the series why are you harming the sales rate of localized sales?
    for money? why not licence it and print your own copies and sell it in amazon, you can even print other things like shirts, bags to pull up the profits.

For some reason those groups don't really wants money, they didn't licence it. and they don't love their series enough and not wanting to remove the chapter which may damage the sales. THEY ONLY LOVE THEIR SCANS. it's fine for TLer who love their scans, but when its time to let go one should really let go. you shouldn't ruin a class of fish just because of one bad fish. There is no way to win a war when the law is with the official translator.
    small site like personal blogs might swim though the holes in the net but a whale like mangadex is impossible.

for those who don't know, licencing a series and print all those goodies are usually over 40% profits from the sales from the cost of ordering them and you only have to pay a one time fees from 700 to 800 usd.
    Japanese publisher don't really care about sales outside japan so it's dirt cheap.

oh yes other Aggregators do remove chapters from manga that the publisher actually force them to.
    mangadex is better than most of those sites so why not.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  9. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    So true, half effort jobs why. there are tons of time I translating with half efforts that is so bad it's literally machine translation.
    It was so bad that amazon almost cuts my pay.
    This must happen in fanlate groups also.
    quality was never important, you can see chinese JAV pron or hentai manga. you can see they literally says "stop stop pull it out" in raw, but in translation it's "more more so good" and I was likeㄟ(≧◇≦)ㄏ what !!!!

some time late at night brain just autopilot with your CAT tools
    you don't know what you are reading.
    you don't know what you are typing.
    you don't know what you are translating.
    and readers think that you are MTL, but you are zombie translating.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant to say replaced not released.
    Care to explain further the last part of your post?

xiazixin likes this.
  11. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wordpress is always a nightmare to navigate.
    I would use WW or novel updates instead.