Discussion Bad novels you enjoy.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Novetsu, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So Empress' Gigolo is not a ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) novel ?
    Damn, I was interested in it because of the title

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Story of a big player from gangnam

3. BookHermit

BookHermit ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

Reading List:
    Link
    Most villainess, otome game novels.
    I know that a lot of them are just poorly written crap but I enjoy them. Not my favorite but not bad to pass the time with.

Fulminata, mir and Wujigege like this.
  4. Az31r4

Az31r4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know whether this novel is good or bad, people had different perception afterall. But I defenitely find ''Isekai Yururi Kikou ~Raising Children While Being an Adventurer~ '' as bad, it's repetitive and the children response doesn't changes at all, with a few cliche that isekai had especially about food. I don't even know why I keep reading it:hmm::facepalm::notlikeblob:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Wujigege, SerialBeggar and Novetsu like this.
  5. Alamand

Alamand Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God is probably the worst novel I still read daily. The author is seriously terrible, starting 5 plot threads for every 1 they resolve and at least half are just forgotten and ignored. I'm starting to question if time even exists in their world because the author loves throwing out random time limits for quests, but time only seems to pass when the author remembers it. They also endlessly introduces new power-up Mcguffins that just so happen to be perfectly suited to solve whatever problem the MC is facing, there's so many different items and power ups that can be applied to player's armor by now that I can only assume they all look like a 4 year old got their hands on a bedazzler and went to town.

Then of course there's the MCs guild he founded, which seems to be completely useless in helping the MC outside of supplying bulk materials whenever the MC needs to go on a crafting spree to solve some random problem. Of course all the top end equipment and gimmicks of the guild are only found when they MC is present, and we never get the pleasant surprise of the guild having found some item the MC needs for a quest beforehand or an equipment upgrade. Speaking of gimmicks, the MC has found at least 10 or 20 that singlehandedly created first rate guilds out of nothing in the past timeline, but for some reason his guild is only barely strong enough to surprise everyone whenever it's in danger of being wiped out (aka every 10 chapters). At this point I'm convinced the guild only exists to give enemies something to "threaten" while not being an actual threat to the MC himself.

Sorry, I might have ended up venting a bit.

6. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It Seems That I’ve Slipped Into a Different World. Also, My Gender Has Changed. - Its not like "bad". There are people who like it and those who tend to like it always rate it highly. It's just that there are many people who don't like it either for the reasons you mentioned. They find it bland or boring and full of plot holes....but I like it because I learned to look at it how the author saw it, I looked over the plot holes and tried to experience what the author was trying to portray, a beautiful love story, ignoring the little mistakes and not letting myself lose immersion for it by hanging on to those minor stuff (which after completing it I don't even remember any of those so called plot holes...that's how minor they were).
    And it's very VERY slow paced, taking itself very relaxingly and nothing much ever really happens. The first arc was probably the most boring to most people and they dropped it there (but there is a reason why nothing happens in the first arc, and honestly I would prefer that bland arc over going through a time skip of her adapting to her new home, I really don't like missing out on stuff like that), the romance starts from the second arc so it picks itself up from then on.
    There's no romantic drama or anything, just pure innocent first love sort of thing.
    People say the MC is really passive so they don't like her personality of never willing to take actions...but they're forgetting, she is never in a situation where she desperately needs to take action! She is very passive, yea, but it's not really a bad thing. She is soft and kind, but the people around her are always there for her whenever she is in trouble. She also doesn't stay passive in things that matter. When someone tries to hit on her, she clearly rejects them and closes any further possibilities of them continuing because she already has someone.
    She's passive about the succession thing and doesn't argue back when someone is trying to prevent her from getting something because she herself doesn't want it, what do you want her to do? It looks like she's not answering to someone who is clearly being hostile to her, but she just doesn't want it herself! How is that being passive!? She isn't going to waste energy in something she clearly doesn't want. Just because she doesn't complain when you think something is unfair doesn't mean she's passive, you should consider the weight of the matter and how much it means to her. Since she's not so narrow-minded she easily looks over a lot of things.

Also, the arc with the most plot holes, the arc before the last arc, was probably the most fun arc if you can enjoy it for what it is. It really felt sweet and also somewhat intense in an otherwise slow paced story, everybody got together and defended the fort in a magical fairytale battle and it basically looked like a fun little event (even though it was kinda dangerous) and then ended with a touch of romance. I feel it had everything for a fun arc. But people didn't like it and kept pointing out things that weren't explained. (If it's not explained, that doesn't mean there is no explanation for it, just the author didn't chose to write it because it would've been meaningless to the progression of the plot and kinda boring to read in general.)

Then the final arc, it was the softest landing for a love story. Everything settles down with the big day being right around the corner. Everybody is busy preparing and it just feels so relaxed and happy. It's so sweet, it's one of my most favorite endings to a love story just because of that. How the romance develops sweetly without any hinges in the road, it shows their complete journey that's just pure and perfect, no need for needless drama for two people to fall in love, it's just a damn good read if you give it a chance. I just wish that it had an epilogue chapter or an extra where they show them having children and shows them interacting with their children. That would be perfect.

Edit: Oh sorry, I always get too into it when I'm talking about my favorite novels that I forget everything else and say whatever is on my mind. lol

Novetsu likes this.
  7. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i forgot to mention, bad stories are better in manga because the art covers some of the empty narrative and they skip most of the filler, that why i read most bad novels in manga form

rosie94hrpr and Az31r4 like this.
  8. Novetsu

Novetsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I skimmed through that really fast but I'm just going to assume you said something meaningful.

9. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not at all...I just went off on a completely meaningless rant.
    ...it's not the first time this has happened.

And this is not even its worst form. If the novel I had been talking about was my most favorite novel...then I'm afraid the essay would've turned out three times bigger.

Novetsu likes this.
  10. Novetsu

Novetsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah.

11. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to bring this one up too. I don't know why people rate this novel so highly along side with Death March. Other than the MC traveling around with kids he picked up, there's no comparison. This novel is sooooooo boring. Many whole chapters only contain 2, sometimes even 1, conversation. Nothing happens. And if that wasn't enough, the author pads the chapters. The Narrator describes something which is immediately followed by the MC repeating it almost verbatim. That said, every now and then, I come back to read a stack of chapters to see if the story has finally gone anywhere. It's like playing a slot machine. It's got to payout soon, right?

Az31r4 and mir like this.
  12. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ultimate scheming system and shoujo grand summoning

Both had such a shit linear op mc plot with hardly memorable characters as well as gigantic harems but strangely interesting to read. For USS it was because the mc was fuckin hilarious and for shoujo grand summon it was because it was the only type of anime summoning novel that I could stomach more than 50 chaps. Could’ve done without the harem but it’s that sort of novel after all

13. Master_Arch

Master_Arch New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God.

The writing is atrocious, yet I got hooked. Then things started getting repretitive and I had to put it down.

14. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    TDG I read it when it was new and cool, stuck around with it
    ATG it's pretty good for its genre and I don't mind author's justifications for questionable decisions Scum Che makes

15. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    To be a power in shadows
    It is so bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.