Question MOBA/eSports terms? (CN -> EN)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by rere_86, Aug 18, 2019.

1. rere_86

rere_86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm thinking about translating a novel I really enjoyed about a fictional MOBA game, but the only MOBAs I've played are simplified mobile versions, and I don't watch streams/eSports, so I'm having a really hard time translating some terms in a way that flows.

- 一杀 – has slain an ally/enemy

- 脆(皮) – squishy

- C位 – carry

- 浪 – trolling

- 怂 – playing passive

- 坑 – bad/bronze player

- 搞事 – trolling

- 发骚 – being flirtatious, being in heat

- 压制 – pressuring/lane pressure

- 压在塔下 – pushed/pressured under the tower

- 丝血/残血反杀 – counter-kill with a sliver of health

- 刚 – going head-on, being aggressive

- 反野 - steal/invade the enemy's jungle

- 技能刷新 – got off cooldown

- 中野联动 – mid & jungle two-man gank

- 2换3 – 2 for 3 trade

- 按在地上摩擦 – rekt

- 建模 – 3D Character/Models

- 走位 – positioning

- 抗塔伤 – tanking the tower

- 赢定了 – the win is set in stone

- 翻车 – to lose/throw the game

- 身败名裂 – devastating defeat

- 漂亮/精彩/etc. – marvelous/spectacular/nice play/great move/smooth/etc.

There’s a lot that I have absolutely no clue how to say in English, and others where I kinda get the idea, but I’m looking for an English equivalent that people actually use in MOBA/eSports.

If there are any translated CN novels about MOBAs that I can consult, please let me know as well!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    xiin likes this.
  2. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, I wouldn't say that necessarily, but Chinese slang is seriously hard to translate orz
    At least I'm pretty sure (like 50% sure) there's English equivalents for these MOBA jargon, I just don't know what they are.

3. Haters gonna Hate

Haters gonna Hate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    rere_86 likes this.
  4. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Tilt- getting frustrated and end up messing things up.

Inting(feeding)- letting enemy team kill you for the heck of it.

Gank- sorta like a pincer attack, getting unsuspecting players through jungle or whatever.

ADC, APC, jungler, Supp, normal terms etc.

Positioning is a thing, especially for ADCs

rere_86 likes this.
  5. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah, there's a lot of useful terms, thank you! Definitely saving this site!

Thanks for reminding me of these!
    Yeah, I was thinking about using "positioning" for 射手走位 (the marksman's positioning), but in the novel, they also talk about how the jungler was 边走位边躲闪,同时进行还击 (can I say, the jungler was positioning and dodging while counter-attacking at the same time?)

6. IackIork

IackIork Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    rere_86 likes this.
  7. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Should be something like Lee Sin Insec

rere_86 likes this.
  9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no significance with single kills, so they're just called a kill. It could be significant if the target you killed was on a killing-streak, then it would be called a "shut down". Or if they were the last living member on the team, then it was an "Ace (kill)".

When at least one character from each team is killed, you just call it a "one for one (trade"). So in this example their team made a 2 for 3, 2 players died in exchange for 3 kills. (or maybe the opposite)

This is common terminology in stuff like MMOs, the english term would usually be "squishy". "Glass Cannons" are squishy, but to be glass cannon it also means they've got huge firepower and can either do a lot of burst damage or dps.

The opposite, i.e. being hard to kill, would be "tanky" usually something like 很肉.

压制 is probably Crowd Control or (CC), but what I've usually seen is (群体)控制

Afaik this is just common chinese slang for tricking/cheating or being tricked. So it could be someone making a feint or something to trick the opponent. Maybe a "juke".

(blood)
    in games means health or HP (Hit Points). 丝血 probably means a sliver of health, i.e. very low HP. 残血 means low HP.

反杀 should be fairly obvious, reverse/counter kill. Together with 丝血 or 残血 it would be a low Hp counter kill, so while it might depend on context a bit, I'd guess someone was "low" (HP) but reverse killed someone else who tried to kill him in an upset.

Haven't seen this one, but if it's indeed talking about the ability cooldown becoming 0, then it would be "got off cooldown" or "came (back) up".

Haven't seen this since I don't really read League of Legends or moba novels, but my guess would be that it's referring to either the "Fortified" buff that Top & Mid towers have during the early 5 minutes that reduces the damage they take.

Or it's probably referring to how towers take a lot less damage if there are no "creeps" or "minions" nearby (Reinforced Armor). A mechanic that exist to make it very difficult to "backdoor".

I would need to see context, but my guess is that it means: get to or leave lane (top/mid/bot lane) and for a jungler it would be the jungle, but I don't think there's any general term that would work for both laners and jungler.

need context, but to lose a game that should have been a win is called a "throw".

Making mistakes that might cost you the game is called "throwing" (the game).

If it's about the "casters" (the commentators), then I guess this is referring to "color" casters. Basically the guys who just hype things up and making it entertaining for the viewers without knowing much about the deeper stuff in the game.

Or actually being a color caster might be the opposite of what I thought, quick google search gave me this.

And well in general I'd need more context for the terms.

Edit:

Oh and this is might be "(do and/the) objective". Things like Baron Nashor and Dragon.

Edit 2: Here's a good (english) game terminology list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_video_game_terms

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    AerynW, rere_86 and nonononononono like this.
  10. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Trolling

漂亮/精彩/etc. – You can probably translate these comments as is. Pretty/marvelous/spectacular/nice play/great move/smooth/etc.

rere_86 and Astaroth like this.
  11. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much for translating all of that!
    For "一杀", it's because the novel writes it like:
      【系统】XX,一杀!
      【系统】我方ZZ已阵亡!
    Do you think it sounds more natural if I translate it as “XX, kill!", "XX, one kill!", "XX has killed your teammate!" or "The enemy XX has killed your teammate!"? I'm more partial to the last two, but is it too big of a change from the source material?

Ahhh, this is perfect! Thank you so much!!

I think what the author was trying to say with 压制/压在塔下 was that they were playing so aggressively that the other team couldn't even peak out from under their tower without getting ganked. Could I say that the other team was forced to play defensively/passively? Or is that something else entirely?

What about something like "匹配到的队友都是坑" or "既然到了大师段, 队友都不会坑到哪里去吧”?

Sorry, I didn't give enough context: 搞事 was actually referring to how they were there to cause problems for other players, such as insta-locking three marksmen, etc. I think I might use trolling for this too, if I can't find anything better.

Your comment was super helpful, thank you again for taking the time!

12. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
    Perfect, thank you!

13. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Roaming,
    Playing passive,
    Troll
    gank
    out play with with little of hp.
    mid + jg two man gank.

14. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    should be the sound of gank.

rere_86 likes this.
  15. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    【System】"XX First Kill!"
    【System】"Our Ally XX has been slain"

Bronze player
    压制 – lane pressure. (you could say give/apply more pressure in mid or duo, 压制中路和Duo)
    按在地上摩擦 – Rekt

抗塔伤 – tank the tower

16. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    more tips.
    你号没了
    Stop the harrestment (in chat)

毒奶
    toxic player

大龙 baron
    小龙dragon

奶heal

翻车failed

奶妈 soraka
    奶大力nidalee
    刀妹illirea
    男刀talon
    老司机old all time player / sion player.
    小狗uzi
    强人头ks
    补兵cs
    补刀kill secure.
    人头狗ks dog.
    高的塔inhib turrets
    一塔 outer turret
    二塔 middle turrets
    菊花3刀 xinzhao 1st skill where he storm your ass 3 times.

Astaroth likes this.
  17. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you! Stop harassment and "toxic player" are especially useful, I was just thinking about how I should translate "有毒"!
    I think might mean something different though, because in the book the commentators were talking about how the MC's team was 很刚, always refusing to be the first to retreat, and choosing to ban three junglers just because the other team did so too.

That's a really good idea! I think I'm going to use "XX First Kill", thanks!

Ah, I remember seeing "lane pressure" in one of the lists mentioned, but I didn't connect it to 压制, thanks!

18. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, in that case there might be quite a bit of terminology that can be used.

压在塔下 makes me think of being "pushed under tower" in that case, but just as a general term I guess "pressure" like @nonononononono said would work.

There's a lot of terms with "pressure", like "kill pressure" (kill potential) "pressure top/mid/bot" (pushing in lanes to threaten turrets/inhibitor/nexus) and such. Maybe this video would be useful to watch:

Honestly I might have to look up some Chinese League of Legends stream and compare the announcers. The second one doesn't make any sense to me so I guess they're quite different/localized.
    Oh, if it's referring to the first kill in the game, then that's called "First Blood".

How it's shown in the chat is "Player name(Champion name) has drawn first blood!" and the announcer at the top of the screen is:

Actually I think I realize what the problem is now, the regular "has slain an enemy" or "an allay has been slain" announcements do not have any text in the chat, there's only the announcments. And the thing is, the actual names aren't shown in the announcmenets, you just see the icon of the champion.

So the 【系统】我方ZZ已阵亡!message would be (Icon of allied champion that died) has been slain (Icon of enemy champion that got the kill), and the sound announcer is "an allay has been slain"

rere_86 likes this.
  19. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Bronze player Urban dictionary
    "I am always teamed up with some bronze players." Or "since it is a master rank match, you won't see many bronze players here."

rere_86 likes this.
  20. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like that. I'm gonna add "pushed under the tower" and the "pressure" terms, thanks!

Thank you so much! Yeah, unfortunately in the novel, 一血 is first blood, and I guess the author wanted to make it clearer who killed who, and added 一杀 as well.
    Wow, I never noticed that the system announcement never said the champion names, but what the author changed it to kind of makes sense now, thanks for explaining that!