Discussion Need an analysis of a song lyric

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SerialBeggar, Aug 19, 2019.

1. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    OK. Serious request here.

This old song came to mind as I was poking around youtube music videos. It's "Maid of the Seas" by The Roches (pronounced "roaches", yeah, I thought it would have been more Frenchy instead) that was released in 1992.

I've mentioned before that I don't really pay attention to song lyrics (like you would have caught that :blobtongue:). I hear the words and phrases, but they're just additional sounds in the music. However this particular song is one of my all time favorites, its overall sound pushes all of the right buttons with me. As such, I made an effort to pay attention to what the song is saying.

Here's the copy pasta of the lyrics:
    You can listen to the song here:

Offhand, it seems pretty straight forward. A husband is at the funeral grieving for his departed wife when a "Maid of the Seas" spirit tells him that it's OK to move on with his life.

The part I don't understand is the "Take my husband to bed" line. :blob_tilt: :blobflag:

Who made that plea?
    Who is that being directed to?
    Was there a change in perspective?
    Is the "Maid of the Seas" actually his wife's spirit?
    Is there an implied love triangle?

I don't know. Give me your thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a jojo reference.

edit- Dammit Jospeh keep it in your pants

3. Mochakat9

Mochakat9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s not written from the husband’s perspective. It’s the new girlfriend/wife’s POV.

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is what I thought reading those lyrics:
    Some guy at a funeral looking at a dead body
    He got a boner and imagined some vision or spirit that told him that it is alright to have sex (with a dead body?)
    The guy is embarrassed because of such thoughts so he tried to think of something else but the spirit kept insisting that it was alright to be wild...
    And for some reaon I remembered this thing the moment I began readig those lyrics

I am stopping here because it seems my head isn't working properly and my imagination might be running wild at the moment, I blame the internet for this misinterpretation

5. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You understand that it's about grieving husband being told to move on, but you don't understand when the spirit of his wife tells some other woman to take him, ffs.

6. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's fairly obvious the Maid of the Seas is a spirit, but where is the connection that it is his wife? I couldn't find any reference for what a "Maid of the Seas" is, especially it being a euphemism for the spirit of a departed person. I got the impression that the Maid of the Seas is more of a distinctly "worldly"(?) entity.