Discussion Actual work hours

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You often hear how someone works 12h a day or even more and sleeps less than 7h, but how much of this is true?
    What is this work? Is it just being at work but actually working for 7h while the rest of the time is spent on small breaks, getting to needed location, lunch, casual conversations..
    Me, I'd snap if I had to work more than 8h which include lunch break and 2-3 bathroom breaks.
    I can barely work if I sleep less than 7h the next day, let alone repeteadly getting the lack of sleep.
    It's seriously bad for your health and even if you could stay awake unlike me, you'd work only at half efficiency at anything that requires thinking or being energetic.

fun fact from ted talks, when the clock switches forward due to daylight saving time, on that day there is significantly more heart attacks due to lack of sleep

2. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh... I'm just a high school student but I sleep less than 4 hours a day and don't get any naps... My schedule's pretty packed after school and before school too... I feel unhealthy QAQ

Ruyue and Blazingprincess like this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    If you own your own business, or work at a startup, then even more than 12h a day is possible. I've had times during emergencies that I went multiple days without sleep.

Of course even in large corporations, some would have "expectations for you to work overtime" to finish deadlines or the like. Albeit they will often times let you take days off after.

asriu, kenar, Zomula and 4 others like this.
  4. arahera

arahera Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends more on the person itself that the work tbh. There are indeed jobs that requires the worker to work for full 12 hours, there are even hospital shifts for over 30+hours too. All these shifts are very hard to do for most people, and it is far from easy to handle it mentally if you're not used to it.

For example, I know many of my friends having to work for over 30+ hours in the hospital, I personally don't accept those shifts unless needed because of surgeries and so on. These shifts do allow us to sleep on work, but only if we are available at any time. For most times - sleeping on a couch.

It is truly mentally tiresome to work for such a long period of time, as even the brief pauses you get is barely helping.

And I also know some people that only work from 08:00 till 15:00 shifts, and they usually say that they do feel mentally strained if they had to work for a few more hours.

But all in all, it depends on the person itself, and the habits they are used to. I am not used to long shifts, but I can do them if need be. But I do prefer normal shifts at around 12 hours.

kenar, Fulminata, orematcha and 3 others like this.
  5. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    That is nothing

https://www.livescience.com/50068-daylight-saving-time-heart-attacks.html
    https://www.webmd.com/heart/features/the-truth-behind-more-holiday-heart-attacks

Want to save people from heart attacks cancel christmas

Jojo775 likes this.
  6. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After HS during vacation i worked at a factory with a lot of immigrants who only worked in my country and their families were abroad, you'd be surprised how many of them could easily pull of 24hours or even 48 if that was necessary(they were not forced, they genuinely didn't mind working for co-worker because these were extra hours and extra pay, and guy who told me about it was kinda boasting so it wasn't everyday thing for him).

Muscle memory can take you through a lot in manual labors, in other jobs, if you're required to do problem solving or creative thinking, you'll need your brain so it indeed sounds impossible.

Then again, we can adapt and survive more than we think if it's really necessary.

In comfortable conditions, you'll procrastinate over doing 10-min homework, in extreme conditions, you'll learn basics of a language in a few days.

@Edit Not to mention, among animals, humans greatest feature is durability/stamina, we can't outrun anything, but we can chase almost everything until it drops dead.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  7. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Riajuu explode!:mad:

:ROFLMAO: Just kidding...:p no way if you’re here, right?:cry:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    When you can only earn so much, you have to work extra shifts to make ends meet. Overtime is always a plus.

Sometimes, people work more than one job too.

mir and orematcha like this.
  9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    I agree with this

kenar, Fulminata, orematcha and 5 others like this.
  10. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    I work 3 days a week, each 12h shifts. Sometimes the day shift and sometimes the graveyard shift. I'm an M.E, there a 4 of us in the office so it works out fine.

11. WorthierSky8

WorthierSky8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While working in construction after hurricane Matthew and Erma hit I was working on site about 14 hours a day 7 days a week for about 7 months. Then we cut it back to 10-12 hour a day 6 days a week for about 18 months. And in pyrotechnics the weeks leading up to th 4th of July I will work (including transporting equipment) anywhere from 8 to 16 hour days every day.

12. Madnessmmo

Madnessmmo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't say anything more true than this

13. Madnessmmo

Madnessmmo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I swear I work all year round for more than 12 h ... my only break Friday afternoon 6 h
    God please have mercy on my poor soul

14. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    My work is officially from 2pm-10:30pm, 2 15min and 1 30min break. If we're backed up we might end up staying till 12am.

If I want overtime hrs I stay till 2am or 3am and take a smoke break when I feel like it.

15. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, nope, just a student with an Asian mom

userunfriendly likes this.
  16. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you're not a doctor then. Depending on the specialty of the doctor, they can have shifts of 12+ hrs and can get called in pretty much any hour of the day. And since they need to use their brains and bodies to fulfill their jobs(AKA not kill their patients and get sued for malpractice) it's a rough life.

17. YukiShiiro

YukiShiiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I work on a hospital so its 8 hours for me. If in bad luck then its extended to 16 hours! Its so busy that I can barely have a refill of my water bottle or eat anything at all, but if its not toxic then I'm able to sneak some snacks! After that I'll have an 8 hour (or less) break/sleep before the next shift again \o/
    So yeah, my eyebags will accompany me till I die

18. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    My family business means that I'm at work approximately 70 hours a week, including breaks, when I am not a school. Summer vacation is rough for me.

19. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish I could work a 12 hour day, hell that's a luxury for me. I only get 1 day off a month also sadly.

20. Sakuraid

Sakuraid Writer, translator and editor

Reading List:
    Link
    12h work days.... Makes me recall the 12 h weekends two summers ago. By weekends I mean by only Saturday and Sunday but also Friday. Those weekends were either 12h day or 12h night, hell.