Recommendations Yaoi for Beginners

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Matteus, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys, we all know that yaoi is a big thing on this site and I thought about giving it a try, see how it is, have a more open mind regarding this genre. Now, I'm your average Joe, boring heterosexual that has no experience with this sort of thing at all so I'm scared of chosing a random novel and regret it later because of graphics and stuff. What would you recommend me? Nothing too sexual please, I want one step at a time...

Japorea, leo.d., riddlemethis and 2 others like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One Mpreg* novel and you'll be running 4 cover... :blobwhistle:

*Male pregnancy

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    PlayingSchupid, kenar, Doomr and 2 others like this.
  3. Unsaltea

Unsaltea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. PrettyDamnCritical

PrettyDamnCritical Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mingguiwen likes this.
  5. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    PIckup BIBLE. You need a soul-cleansing SON!!!

Neku, L0pez, Doomr and 1 other person like this.
  6. riddlemethis

riddlemethis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should definitely check out Priest novels, I especially recommend Sha Po Lang.

There’s also Don’t Pick Up Boyfriends from a Trash Bin, it’s a Quick Transmigration that tackles on heavy and complex topics with surprising realism you won’t often see in danmeis.

Sheri_Yui_Chan and Naruin like this.
  7. Green Genesis

Green Genesis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Reality Check by TripleJxskittles at Wattpad. It's incomplete because the author is not there anymore, but whatever chapters are there, it's worth a read for beginners. Also Five Letters on Sunday by JackHarbon (Wattpad)

Also, if you're going to look for stuff like this on Novel Updates, best to check for the tags; go for Shounen-ai without the Yaoi tag accompanying it, avoid Mature and Mpreg tags (for now).

Read the comments on the websites of the posted stories, not on Novel Updates, because those on the websites are usually loyal readers there for the story itself, and not for the fun of commenting.

I personally recommend The Unicorn Legend. It's funny and sad at the same time.

P.S; - I'd go for Chrysanthemum Garden Group for any fluffiness. There are also stories such as My Cherry Will Explode in the Apocalypse or Cub Raising Association that are actually BL, but focuses more towards the situation rather than the romance.

8. Cat_the_axe

Cat_the_axe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the person with The Earth is Online comment, Earth is Online is more shounen-ai, it focuses mainly on plot and i'm sure you will love it. I'm not sure what type of sub-genre you prefer so here is a bl novel that focuses on horror elements; Game, Live Stream, if you like some gaming novels i recommend God Level Summoner, if you are still adamant about no sexual content than i advise you not to read the extras as that is just full of smut, but that novel is completed along with Earth is Online, also by the same translator Game Loading, is also a good read and very cute and shounen-ai. I also recommend this funny, still-ongoing novel called Dinghai Fusheng Records because it has less chapters i still recommend reading it because of how comedic some of the chapters are, but again if you still aren't in the right phase to read the smut bit i wouldn't recommend reading more of the novel as the author tends to write explicit smut, but i still recommend reading this novel by the same author of Dinghai called Seizing Dreams, the world building is beautiful but i'm not sure when the smut comes in or if it has been translated yet, but if it has just skip it as i'm sure it doesn't matter if you, cause trust me the plot and world-building as well as characters will reel you in. Oh lastly, because i can't think of shounen-ai novels directly on the spot i recommend Back to the Apocalypse i having nothing more to say, just read it it is lovely and also completed.

nejvi, Madoqua, bgta and 2 others like this.
  9. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing sexual? Then i'd suggest avoid yaoi & stick to shounen-ai genre.

I've read somewhere that omegaverse tag stories are transition between smut(?) & yaoi. It's kinda "girl must marry man & give birth" but instead it's "omega must marry alpha & give birth".

Novel suggestions? :sweating_profusely: uhh i rarely re-read so i might be mistaken...
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/cub-raising-association/
    Heartwarming. Nothing sexual so far. A guy working on alien daycare/orphanage. One of the kid like him.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-ship-my-adversary-x-me/
    Comedy. It starts like this:
    MC & ML (main character & male lead) hates each other so much, internet thought. Everytime MC & ML meet, fans over analyze things and go to fan war. MC is stressed coz it feels like everything he does is wrong. But he accidentally opened a new world... Fans who shipped them. Everything here is peaceful & full of fluff! Stress-free! And so MC join to ship ML amd himself​

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-cherry-will-explode-in-the-apocalypse/
    Zombie apocalypse story but the main pairing is gay. Also inspired by plant vs zombie.
    actually you should write what Your Story preference is. Heartwarming? Drama? Less focus on romance, more on plot? Tragedy? Horror? Power couple? Doting couple? Slow burn? Early romance? Love triangle with unclear final pair? Very obvious pair and a third wheel?

ky_s likes this.
  10. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Kyou Kara Maou!?
    Saiyuki
    Free
    Tsurune
    Hataka tonkotsu ramens
    Mobile suit gundam: iron-blooded orphans

Naruin likes this.
  11. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Nicolewave

Nicolewave Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Death progress bar
    A guide to raising your natural enemy
    Both are funny and are full of misunderstandings. Should be safe.

Illisaide, Dudduls, Eques and 2 others like this.
  13. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
  14. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You dont want to enter there!! get out and ran FAR away while you can!!!

15. skyre

skyre Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy fuck

16. auraizen

auraizen aeu •.*°☆「procrastinating 」『always sleepy』

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding on to what everyone else said, The Earth is Online is definately a good choice. I'd also suggest trying The Legendary Master's Wife if you want to read a cultivation novel. There are quite a few reviews I read for it where the people reading didn't notice it was a BL until they read it but they ended up enjoying it anyways ^^ You also might want to give Spring Trees and Sunset Clouds a try? Idk aa there's plenty of good ones but I'm trying to think of some that aren't too heavy on the BL

(sorry I didn't link any of the ones I mentioned I'm on mobile right now and it doesn't want to work)

Aforia likes this.
  17. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like BL anime but can never get into BL novels, maybe it's because I love BL with androgynous MC like in anime but can't find it in novels.

18. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kudos to you for having an open mind. I think you'll start off better with plot-heavy novels.

The Earth is Online - Possibly the tamest slow-burn romance ever, but the MC and ML have a really strong connection. It's a survival/game sort of novel, so expect a lot of mind-tricks and "puzzle"-solving. Also, the romance takes a back-seat to the surviving, so you don't have to worry about any scandalous BL stuff. And it's already complete!

Founder of Diabolism - Basically one of the best BL novels out there and a must-read. The plot's really good, like really. The story doesn't just evolve around the main characters (which a lot of BL novels suffer from) and all the side characters have their own motivations. It's also complete as well.

Guardian - I haven't read this yet (since I'm still waiting on it to be completely translated), but I'm pretty sure there's hardly an sexual stuff due to the shounen ai tag. There's also a heavy focus on solving cases.

Don't Pick Up Boyfriends From the Trash Can - Personally, I think it's the best BL transmigration novel so far. (Hard to understand or appreciate it if you haven't read other BL transmigration novels though.) The MC is actually very logical and plans everything out beforehand. The ML (no spoilers here) is really gentle and understanding, so no yanderes here! The romance seems to be on the slow side, and so far in the translations, nothing "sexual" has happened yet. The author actually has a reason behind the system/transmigration aspect of the story, which is unique among BL transmigration novels.

I'm Not Shouldering This Blame! - I really like this story due to the plot and the roles the MC and ML play in it. It turns out that the world they're in is a novel, and there's people transmigrating into their world, messing things up because they've read the novel before! And since the MC and ML are villains of that novel, well... you can see the messes they get into. The romance is also quite slow, and I recall that the sex scenes are basically "inferred" to the readers, haha. I do think the translations would benefit from better editing though.

Spring Trees and Sunset Clouds - A really nice slice-of-life story. I'd say it gives off a really quiet, peaceful tone as the MC learns what it means to live again. Plus, there's a mystery behind the place he's made a home at.

In all the novels I've listed about, the MCs and MLs are either physically and/or mentally strong. All the relationships are healthy and consensual, making you want to root for their happiness!

But seriously, before reading anything, I would recommend reading the reviews for any recommendations you get in this forum. It'll help you decide if a novel is worth reading for you.

PastTimer, Shunraiki, Matteus and 6 others like this.
  19. macy2

macy2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be honest. For newcomer to yaoi, there are a lot of landmines. One wrong one and it'll really leave a bad impression. Especially when many incorrectly label the novels. Yaoi involves sexual stuff and shounen ai is more innocent usually. But as of recent the lines have been blurring quite a bit. I would stay away from yaoi for now and start with the many innocent reccomandations from others. AVOID Omegaverse (tags with alpha, omega, etc) at all costs!!!! You are not ready.
    I personally wasnt too big of a fan of BL years ago, manga has given me a very bad impressions. The anime Yuri on Ice actually renewed my perspective on the genre; so you can try that. Many novels here are geared toward BL fans so even if they are inncocent it might not be the most comfortable to ease in with depending how you are with the subject. Yuri on Ice is definitely entry level, in that the characters are pretty reserved with actions and thier thoughts. And if you really arent into the genre, you can easily dismiss the affection. So its a pretty good tester with how comfortable you are, and it does help that its a good anime.

The Founder of Diabolism is my favourite novel so far. Theres a smut scene at the very end And in the extras, but overall its pretty innocent. The affection (its innocent love type affection, very pure) ultimately grows stronger as the novel goes on, so you can gauge your comfort as well. Also, the plot is intriguing enough for you to hang on.

I'll also like to advise that some BL fans are really passionate about physical (kiss, sex, etc) scenes (sometimes I wonder if they are reading for the 'action' or plot). And they may also like to exagerate things, as in make a mountain out of a anthill for ANY interaction between leads. Reviews may not be accurate at all. Please be aware.

ky_s, Matteus, nejvi and 4 others like this.
  20. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    @Ryss here corrupt this poor soul and may have god have mercy on him, Amen.

Doomr likes this.