Discussion Fake?True?Faint because hit on head but not dead.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tsuru55, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When a character in a movie hits another in the head with a hard item and they don't die but faint.

I didn't question it before but when i saw the manga Jin and that a casual accident of a hard item hitting the head and later on cause the person to have haemorrhage/fainting/die without operation + a movie where a soldier was hit on the head by a big rock by a woman, i began to question if you can truly make a person faint by hitting on their head WITHOUT KILLING THEM.

Any doctor or person in the medicine industry's answer could be nice.

2. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I have fainted because I tripped and hit my head against the refrigerator before.

akes117, ReadOrDie and Traveling Chef like this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *recalls the countless times I hv hit my head* Am I actually an undead?! :sweating_profusely:

mir, Milanin, justmehere and 4 others like this.
  4. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's possible, although it's not reliable.
    The effect is concussion, but it doesn't exactly always knock you out, the hit has to be pretty strong/unexpected.
    The effect can knock you out, but it might also just disorient you. It also kinda damages the brain and can be pretty dangerous.

Adding to previous is fainting due to pain but again, not reliable method.

Source(s), I have had both of above happen to me as a kid with both sets of effects too

5. Shatteredsun

Shatteredsun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have as much chance of them dying or getting brain damage than knocking someone out

6. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Soooooo what you mean is that it's potentially deadly or can create a ticking time bomb just like i thought ? but low chance of that happening ?

7. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm dont know if it is the right theme but i read to knock someone out you need to give a good punch to the Chin.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  8. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Thx for confirmation. Even though i would kinda prefer if you explained why you are so sure of yourself (you are doctor or reference a pro medicine website).

9. Deathdy

Deathdy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it has to do with the part of your head hit. If its to the sides, where it seems like there is a cave in in the skull, the bone is thinner, then the chances of you fainting are higher, you can also die from a hit. The back of your head, the meeting place between your head and your neck is also vulnerable. The throat is also very dangerous place to get hit at. I learnt this from some self defence video.

10. valzione

Reading List:
    Link
    Both have a chance of happening really, that's why you are usually monitored/checked at hospitals if you suffer a concussion.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  11. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if you search (unless i am wrong, my mind is quite hazy) you can find people that debunk (show it's not true) it in video. Also the manga with the MC esper Saeki joked once on this fact that in real world, hitting there won't faint them.

12. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    it's the opposite, it's has high chance to happen but even more chance with side effect like "celebral hemoragie".....so it's better if you avvoid hitting people head if it's not a situation where you have no other choice, else you risk to kill someone.......

13. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
  14. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    to quote Dara o'briain “Don’t be fooled by the frying pan industry… they don’t go ‘dong’ when you hit someone. There is no setting for ‘stun’ on a frying pan. You're either gonna piss the man off, or kill him" (read with an irish accent)

15. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    There's always a chances for them to die out of hard trauma in the head or making them die later. Fainting from head trauma is actually secondary from the amount of internal hemorrhage in the skull. In some case a hole immediately necessary to be drilled to ease pressures due to blood vessels breaking from the trauma.

If you want to safely hurt them by hitting them in the head do so by aiming at nose or cheekbones. Temples and above are what to hit if you want to kills them.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  16. valzione

Reading List:
    Link
    The fainting is caused by concussion, which in turn is easier to cause when your opponent isn't bracing themselves even unconsciously because they can't react. These tests in general are done in controlled environments, minimizing the damage caused(whiplash), and don't bring realistic data.

Even if there are no issues afterward, the fainting effect isn't that long.
    Examples; when I was tackled as a kid in an ice slide into a tree, I was unconscious for only few seconds

When I fell down from one of Finnish ye olde benches and got a 15 cm long scar on my head, everything went black the moment I hit the ground, I remember waking at ER as I was being stitched up but fainted after again from the pain

The loner and Traveling Chef like this.
  17. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    It can always lead into this http://www.medlink.com/article/traumatic_intracranial_aneurysms

18. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always get consistent knock out if you can lands enough shocks into the head. The problem is the inside of someone's head not always in the best shape to take a damage from hit.

19. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    like a few other pointed out, hits to the head can potentially knock you out or make you faint, but you're just as likely to give/get internal bleeding from a hit to the head
    sources: 1. me, in high school at football practice caught the fumble(I was a lineman and had no right to be near that ball) and had the whole team basically dogpile my head at the same time. popped my helmut off my head and a blacked out. woke up five minutes later on the side of the field with the coaches over top of me asking if I was ok. 2. my coach, a close family friend, lost his son in a car accident due to internal bleeding in the skull. it was a light fender bender but his youngest son had fallen asleep with his head on the window and the sudden jolt caused internal hemorrhaging that cost him his son's life.

an alternative to busting skulls to knock people out is a good ole chokehold, compress the jugulars till they stop and immediately release pressure to stop from killing the target.
    source: highschool(where I did lots of dumb things) with me and my friends were trying to do "California Knockouts" which involved hyperventilating until you were lightheaded and then someone puts you in a chokehold for a split second. thankfully no death here. but if you hold a chokehold too long, cutting the oxygen off to thier brain. they will die.

basically, anything that can knock you out has a good chance of also killing you.

20. The loner

The loner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing how keen Op is, I wonder what Op's trying to with this information... :sweating_profusely: