Discussion Do you choose to read novels based on update frequency?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by gnessa14, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently, I've noticed that some translation groups only release about 1 chapter a month (or less). If the novel has 120+ chapters but the translator does 1 chapter a month, it's going to take 10+ years to finish.

Is there any merit in reading those anymore? What do you think?

I'm been reevaluating my reading choices and thinking about reading only the ones with at least 50+ chapters translated.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    I must certainly will avoid novels with slower update speeds. I prefer 1+ chapter a day otherwise I'll normal just ignore the novel.

novaes and Femme Fatale like this.
  4. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No i read the ones i like. Just read simultaneously 20+ series and you will be fine for a long long time without needing to wait for updates.

No but seriously. Lately just like you (maybe?) i felt frustated of the rate of translation so i began to MTL/Google Translate the series. And now i am quite happy reading ton of new stuff.
    Here, a gift, a cooking system series without drama (ch40 still none and a FL in love for MC) that is still not discovered by translators:
    https://www.uukanshu.com/b/99043/
    Just download google translate add-on if needed if you can't any button "Translate this page".

5. daildaros

daildaros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously, waiting for 1 month for a single chapter that's not even that long isn't worth it. Pretty sure everyone would forgot what happened in the last chapter after waiting for that long.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, I would prefer novel with fast translation, but atm I'm not really liking any novel with frequent updates so what can you do?

And either way, no matter how fast a person translates it won't be faster than I read (and I read fairly slow tbh), so it doesn't really matter...

Reading some MTL and make terms while waiting...

p.s. with that said, while I don't care as much about TL speed, I do care about current amount of translated chapters. So I won't waste my time to even try novels with few chapters.

Skaistise, Wujigege, checkm8 and 2 others like this.
  7. ryosuke08

ryosuke08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do prefer the ones that update at least once a day or minimum once or twice per week. But if it's something I'm already hooked in since long I don't mind the wait as long as I can somehow end reading the story.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  8. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why i learned JP, so I could go to Syosetu and read as much as I want.

Refulgent and gnessa14 like this.
  9. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I do, since I usually avoid reading novels which update monthly and have over 100 chapters untranslated. If it'll take more than 2 years to finish, then I avoid it. If it takes so long to update, I'll just end up forgetting the plot and characters...

If a novel updates daily, I usually wait until there's 30-50 chapters for me to binge before catching up to the releases. And even then, I won't be reading it unless it's almost complete. (Rainbowturtle's translations are an exception though, since she's reliable and steady with her releases.)

10. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    only reads frequently updated novels.. well atleast 3x a week... 1 month really makes me forget the last chapter already so.. i kinda pass them.. ^^"
    unless ofcourse the story was really good.. i mtl those *covers eyes*

and yeah.. agrees with astaroth.. cares about the amount of chapters traslated too.. prefers something around 25-30 for short ones, 100 for medium ones and atleast 300-400 for long ones.. @.@

11. NeoPhyRe

NeoPhyRe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read novels with frequent updates, but I don't restrict searches in Series Finder based on update frequency. After all, nothing stops me from putting novels that look interesting in a "Future Reads" reading list. I can just come back if someone actually finishes translating it someday, or a faster translator shows up.

12. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Laughs in 'The Death Mage Who Doesn't Want a Fourth Time'. Frequency can be compromised with length of chapter and quality IMO.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  13. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no, need time to see. I don't have the world's best memory, and a lot of these web novels aren't exactly the most interesting reads in every chapter. If it's been long enough between releases that by the next chapter I have to go reread the last to keep up, no thanks.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a very old topic.
    And your question doesn't hold water because there are no free Japanese novels that release daily.
    Some are close but they most likely already caught up with the raws lol.
    You seem to be implying that you only read Chinese novels.
    Maybe change your thread to mention Chinese novels specifically.
    For Korean novels, I can list less than 5 that update daily.
    Japanese, I can't think of any and no MTL crap doesn't count

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate you! Thanks to you promoting MTL like the second coming of Christ. I read MTL of Reverend Insanity and can't read until the translation catches up

Wick likes this.
  16. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Typically no, but I hesitate to start reading if a novel is 2k+ chapters and the translators don't update at least multiple times a week. If the summary is interesting I usually stick it in my To Read list for much much later or just resign myself to slow/no updates (if it was dropped). If I've forgotten what happened (this still happens with novels that update frequently, sometimes) I just skim the previous chapter(s) or sometimes move it to my On Hold list.

novaes likes this.
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read translated Japanese novels and I don't care how often they get updated because I still mostly read Chinese novels. And for those I don't need to bother with translations. Honestly, I find it super liberating to just finish books one at a time and not have to worry about catching up or anything like that.

18. auraizen

auraizen aeu •.*°☆「procrastinating 」『always sleepy』

Reading List:
    Link
    I never keep up with the latest chapters and reread the whole thing when I come back to certain novels, so update speed doesn't affect me too much.

I just read whatever's complete, though if updates are slow but I like the novel I'll read what's translated and then reread it all and the new chapters six months to an year later ^^

If the novel looks like it might be finished within a few (idk less than ~5?) months I wait till it's done and read it then. If the update speed is fast I actually have less of a chance of reading it and usually wait till it's done aha

19. White Head Ice Prince

White Head Ice Prince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :sweating_profusely: I’m actually reading Dominion’s End and those folks from Prince revolutions release exactly one chapter every month. It’s excruciating but the novel is too good to give up and I don’t wanna ruin it by machine translating. But it’s true that if you simultaneously read a lot of novels (I have 67 novels in my reading list) you don’t notice if the update rate is a lil slow or if it got dropped until you get another release. :blobsweat: I won’t give up a gem just cuz rate is slow or it got dropped.

novaes likes this.
  20. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some Japanese and Korean novels, I put them in on hold list if the updates were slow. Sometimes I still read some of those novels. It's still worth the wait for me and I don't like to MTL. But for Chinese I don't really mind it, as most of them have enough chapters for me to read...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.