Discussion What if wuxiaworld had..

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Aug 22, 2019.

?

People who haven't signed up. Would an extra chapter made you sign up?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    57.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing with QI was a culmination over a long time with the whole community against them. The adwall only added to the fire. Also, there were already signs of paywall on QI then with the spirit stone system (similar to China). This was in addition to them saying there would be no paywall. Adding that to the list of things they did early on, anything, minor or major, back then would cause reprucssions for them.

2. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, just pointing out the similarity of the situation, as well as letting some people know that their hypocrisy is showing.

Wu Jizun and Wujigege like this.
  3. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Similarity of the situation?
    Or you just try to justify so that you can diss WW for something so trivial as creating an account?

Also, I'm surprised I had to spell it out to you – In QI's case you'd have to pay them to remove the ad block.

WW is simply asking to register/log in, something that is sometimes automatically done by your browser or just a one click away.

Wanna remain anonymous? Don't be in the internet, don't register to the government for benefits, don't get mobile/internet subscription.

If you aren't living like a caveman, you aren't truly anonymous.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon bread.jpg
    back then on QI you just need spend lil time to watch ads
    now for WW you also just need spend lil time to sign up
    the key lay on you just need spend lil time
    if you want to pay QI you only need spend lil time to do it~ if not then time you need to kick it~ similar thing for current WW policy
    really I'm surprise people sometime thinking too much with thing actually need lil time to think

sure priority is another matter cuz it is relative
    still I believe your post about Government register is over the top
    calm down your tits
    raccoon bread.jpg

5. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Registering for WW only needs to be done once. Those QI ads from back then had to be done over and over again, once for every chapter that you wanted to read. Read 100 chapters times 30 seconds per ad = 50 minutes wasted on ads. Are you sure that the time needed between the two are comparable?

On a side note, to get a driver's license, you need to register with the government. Isn't that a benefit too? Indirectly speaking, it's the same with a savings account or signing up for school. Why are you calling it over the top?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To force a sense of community. Lurkers who just come to the site each day to read their daily updates doesnt add anything to the site other than the page view/a tiny bit of ad money, so not anything amazing. And a lot of the people who just goes to read and doesnt engage in the comments or community does it simply cuz they're too lazy to make an account, so if they're forced to do it that eliminates most of that problem and they might start commenting/getting engaged in the community.

Obviously WW would rather have actual ''users'' than random anonymous numbers visiting their site, since users will feel a bigger sense of belonging, and therefore might donate or w/e makes WW money. And, even if they don't, all sites want community engagement, since that promotes growth, which again = more money.

Well, it's either that or they're laying the foundation for a paywall.

Wujigege and DiabolicGod like this.
  7. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    So them wailing about something trivial is not?

I mean, they are complaining that they can't be lurkers anymore, that they can't be anonymous.
    Well, too bad since they never were to begin with.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes~
    because for me it just lil time cuz I read while doing something else
    hence I said priority is relative

lel

Wujigege likes this.
  9. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...that's amazing. This is the Chewbacca defense, isn't it?

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    non non
    it just to diverse attention to cooling down my mind ya know~

TamaSaga likes this.
  11. Buffive

Buffive Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would people even compare webnovel to wuxiaworld? The overpriced webnovel is nothing like ww or even qidian china. The western version of qidian has unrealistic prices, shitty customer support with the scam tactics as a bonus they offer. It is not hypocrisy to not support their bad business practices.

TamaSaga likes this.
  12. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a couple of reasons, but one of the biggest one for me (quite frankly) is ads. We often get claims from advertisers that we have a lot of invalid bot-traffic (because who clicks on a website several hundred times in one day, right?), and we also have issues with a lot of people running the website through Google Translate (so they can read in their own languages). Connecting specific views to specific user accounts is one of the tools that we are using to help demonstrate to advertisers that this is all genuine user-generated activity. Ad-revenue remains an important part of what we do to keep Wuxiaworld mostly free, and if it continues to tank the way it has I don't know that the current model would work. Lots of moving pieces here, this is just one of'm.

13. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The hypocrisy is how people are saying an adwall is no big deal now but they had an active development thread here to bypass Qidian adwall.
    My money is on them doing the same thing for WW.
    I don't have any faith in a part of this community.

GDLiZy likes this.
  14. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an ads wall that required you to watch ads or pay to skip ads. It only takes a little bit of your time.

I am not dissing WW, in fact, I don't really care that much about their change. They are a company that needed to make a profit after all.
    It felt very much comparable. If you read a chapter at the rate of 3 mins, you would have spent 300 mins ( 5 hours ) reading 100 chapters, which meant you only wasted 1500 sec ( 25 min ) staring at ads.

Translated to 4% of your entire reading time. Pretty much neglectable. ( And this is when you are stupid and not let the ads run while reading. )
    Ahh yes, this is the prime example.

Apparently, the double standard is not hypocrisy. You can kill the murderer's family because they are bad, right? ( Extreme example, but you get the idea. )

Finally, I'm not hating on WW, just amusing at the turn of the situation where history almost repeated itself.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Sadly some people just stop thinking or don't think at all. If this is a contact center I can definitely see someone requesting for a supervisor. Wait, they did ask for the CEO (you)

Someone in this thread even pointed to your annoucement, none of 'em wailers probably bothered to check on it.

16. Saxon Violence

Saxon Violence Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Friends,

I'm puzzled.
    I go to "Wuxiaworld" all of the time and I'm not registered. I don't have any trouble reading anything.
    O wait, down on the comment section at the bottom of each page, I always see my sister's Facebook Thumbnail. Am I being automagically registered through my sister's Facebook account? Man, they must think that she reads BEAUCOUP Light Novels.

Saxon Violence

Myriadfold likes this.
  17. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    1 in 3 people on earth are guaranteed to have a FB account. so if these people weren't so obsessed with being anonymous, they wouldn't even need to make an account.

although I suppose they could always learn to live with a human-check re-captcha before being allowed to read each chapter xD

but at this point it's safe to say the thread has outlived its usefulness and anything further will just be the next cycle of the conversation repeating itself.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  18. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    cue in "But I don't want them to know I'm reading something like this!"

To you who will say this, everyone in my workplace knows I'm reading WNs/LNs, nothing changed with how they treat me.

If your friends do treat you differently, get new friends. You don't need 'em.

19. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There IS a login via Facebook option, you or your sis might’ve clicked it at some point!

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pfft!
    raccoon bread.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.