google stadia

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Xiongace101, Aug 23, 2019.

?

hit or miss

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. no

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. maybe

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. dont care

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  1. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    was listening to pandora when ad popped up about google stadia googles trying hard to get into the gaming industry wat yall think about googles attempt?

2. Kingloli229

Kingloli229 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is almost certainly gonna fail.

3. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    3 months before Google launches another product that competes with Stadia lmao

4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I find the poll a little confusing. The answers are “yes” and “no” but the question is not a yes or no question. I didn’t vote because I can’t figure out what my vote means.

I think Stadia’s going to fail. Probably not right away, but within a couple years.

Astaroth likes this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Google is prolly gonna pull out all the stops to make it succeed, just like OP pulled out all the (full) stops in his urgency to convey this momentous news.

pentadrian likes this.
  6. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Bruh... Google already pulled all the stops to make gamers not interested in Stadia service.

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Rain_

Rain_ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might you never know just like the Nintendo switch people said that would fail

8. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    internet providers are the real issue here, I mean throttling alone would really damper it and unless google offers internet now to individuals its pretty pointless in the short term

10. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    HiT oR mISs I gUesS theY NevEr mISs HUh:blobcat_hyper:

Dead meme aside I think if the games are plenty and fun and cheap it would work. I never got the switch because the games don’t seem plenty yet and is expensive and no friends to play with

11. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People are pissed for lags when they have 100 ms ping while playing Dota...

Imagine playing csgo on stadia....

Google is too wsy ahead here....
    Sort of like Microsoft and their pocketpc.

The tech is not there yet

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I think it's long overdue. Let us be realistic here, die shrinks are going to come to an end soon and only improvements going forward is either larger hardware or if we break quantum computing. Regardless, neither is going to work at home. So the only possibility is cloud gaming.

The limitations of cloud gaming is you need low latency(reason why onlive failed), and to accomplish low latency you need local servers next to the ISPs.

Currently there are 3 companies with large enough cloud footprint to pull it off.
    1) Google
    2) Microsoft
    3) Amazon

Now normally Microsoft would be a prime candidate but I think them being tied down to the xbox is limiting them. Because part of getting cloud gaming working is to go hardware agnostic. Amazon has also gotten a bit into games with their gaming engine, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get into it too.

But Google I think has a huge advantage on this front. For now they require their Stadia controller hardware, but if going forward they support Android TV. It'll become even easier to get people using it.

[​IMG]

Ruyue likes this.
  13. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    piece of crap....

Astaroth likes this.
  14. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Bruh why you gonna do my man like this

mir and otaku31 like this.
  15. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    ISPs just want money, and Google has the money to pay them. Something like youtube is hard to pay for since most of the traffic is free. But stadia is a paid service so if they share some revenue with ISPs they will gladly hook them up.

Uhm, google is promising 60fps which is 16.66ms with future of 120fps which is 8.33ms.

30fps is the bare minimum for gaming which is 33.33ms, so yes 100ms would not be good enough. But unlike Valve, Google has local servers so they can do much better in terms of fps.

As for pocketpc, the issue there had nothing to do with MS being too early for their time and more to do with MS missing the ball. They let manufacturers use old processors and not license GPU drivers. Thus the pocketpc experience was a lagfest that it shouldn't have been normally.

16. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2019-8-23_13-29-9.jpeg
    False advertising

justmehere and GuldTasken like this.
  17. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They might succeed since they have all the money to make it succeed. Big companies can invest big and take over. But... My personal nugget...

Why would you trust a company that wants Money ONLY?

Compared to Steam, that was created from a Gaming company. Stadia is created by a company who has the sole purpose of Earning lot of money. Considering their failure in running the Youtube empire properly ( Bad information, shitty practice toward creators etc ), I doubt they will be able to run Stadia any better outside their focus of pleasing the corporate machine.

EA and other big titles will surely Praise and Throw their games at Stadia. But you have to remember, Google was never a Gaming company. They will never partake in the gaming community in the way, a gaming company will. They will rather butcher the player for the sake of money in the long run.

So, I will rather stick with steam that supports small creators, PG18+ games etcetera. One of the rare platforms that allow all sorts of Games to succeed within reason.

mir and pentadrian like this.
  18. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a company that isn't out there to make money?

Sure, Google will probably never be with the gaming community like valve. But I disagree about the small creators.

Small creators have much less staff and budget to make sure their games work properly on all platforms and all hardware. Sure, gaming engines have simplified this to some extent but it hasn't eliminated it completely. If you only have to target 1 platform and it works for everyone, that'll save them quite a ton of money and effort. As we have seen, there are plenty of amateur developers all over google play. As long as Google can insure wide support, they'll quickly jump on board.

If anything, I think the big studios are harder since some of them have been trying to break free of appstores or create their own.

19. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems very useless to me, xbox, nintendo, playstation already cover a large area on non pc gaming
    Now if they put the system out like they can like steam, pc users wouldnt prefer not when twitch is most sought after and the second in coming is mixer

20. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't say google play... You simply can't compare the coding work between Desktop/console with mobile. There is a reason why there is more games on Playstore than there is on Desktop in terms of indie. Why? Because they simply a LOT easier to code.

On computer, any game that wants to run smoothly and decently, has to be pretty much C++. JAVA games tend to hit bottlenecks in comparison regarding how to harness hardware capability.

And yes, every company in the world wants to earn money, that is the foundation. But there is a difference when it comes to big companies like Google that already has monopoly on large market parts of the internet. Google Ads, Youtube, Google search engine, Gmail and those. And most of these things, aside from google search engine. Are constructed to focus on earning money for the corporation or other corporations. It runs the players / creators over, if necessary.

Considering they cannot put their brains together to resolve the issues around Youtube, then I doubt they will be able to run Stadia in a long term manner either. I rather stick to Steam and Gaben's steam sales till some company buys it off his grave because his kids were stupid.

Steam is hardly ... Free from faults, but it does have the advantage of being a gaming community from the start and that... in my opinion counts a lot more than a business man seeing Money opportunity. Much like I find more reason to hire an Electrician to do my electrical work than a handyman. Even if both advertise the same knowledge, I think the electrician has more experience than a Handyman that might of learned through doing.