Other Request NU for OELs?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by jacobpaige, Aug 24, 2019.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a site like NU, but for web novels that were originally written in English. Specifically, I'm looking for one that
    1) Has a good Advanced Search option. Wattpad, fanfinction.net, Web Fiction Guide, etc. either don't have a search function at all, or have a truly crap one that might as well not exist.
    2) Links to the author's preferred distribution method, whether that be their own website, royalroad, webnovel, or whatever. I'm not looking for the distribution sites themselves as that is far more limited than what I want, or they're stealing the authors' works, which I want no part of.
    3) Is strictly free web novels. I'm not looking for something like Good Reads where works that you must pay to read or find in a library are mixed in with web exclusive free stories.
    4) Does more than just list the series. Specifically, I'm looking for synopses, tags, user ratings and reviews, but discussion forums and information about the series' release rates would also be nice.

2. Hotato

Hotato Eternally Confused

Reading List:
    Link
  3. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Sabruness and Cosmic_ like this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean like: https://www.wlnupdates.com ? Though the site has advanced search and what you want, the site itself is kind of crude.

5. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, royalroad and scribblehub are probably your best bets. They both have pretty much everything you want. Royalroad doesn't have a release rate stat as far as I know, but you can see when all the chapters in a novel were posted (not exact date, like 3m ago or 2 days ago etc), which is enough to get a general idea most of the time.
    That being said, you mentioned royalroad in your comment, so you're not looking for something like that? Or less a place where novels are posted and more somewhere that just has links to where the novels are posted, like NU?

Sabruness likes this.
  6. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2B32CB6D-9D27-4766-8F1D-184114D3C100.jpeg

emersy, Fossil and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  7. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    All the ones that I know and match your preference are already listed.

I'll second storiesonline, scribblehub, royalroad, and fictionpress.

Look through here for others.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/other-websites-for-fiction.8195/

I'd also recommend spacebattles, suffientvelocity, and questionablequesting. They're not dedicated for fictions and can be hard to search through but the gems are definitely worth it especially the fanfics. I can rec you some fics if you're interested.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Storiesonline, scribblehub, royalroad, storiesonline, and fictionpress are all distribution sites and their advanced search functions (if they exist) only search the works posted on them. The other sites listed don't have advanced search. I'll check out the NUF link.

9. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    The ones liated are good

There is also Archive of our own, primarily fanfics but also original fictions as well although those are rare to find. The search function and tag system are some of my fav parts of that site. It dont link to other sites but archives a bunch of stuff from other sites, if you know what I mean?

10. emersy

emersy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try this https://www.scribblehub.com they have the best CN and JP base novels written by the author himself they are originally in english so you wont wait for a translation. User interface is very similar to NU so its confortable to use

11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If that's the site I think it is, then I've tried it before, but having to keep a key handy to understand the search results was quite annoying. Plus, as you said, its also a distribution site. I'm just looking for a listing site like NU.
    I am well aware of the existence of Scribblehub. It's kind of impossible to not be when you use NU, but the only series listed there (as far as I can tell) are ones that are also on royalroad, and RR will usually have more user feedback since the series will have been listed there long before going to SH. Since RR's search function is quite good, there just isn't a reason to use SH until it starts getting stories that aren't already on RR. And even then, it will still be a distribution site. Honestly, if it was just NU but for OEL, I'd be 10 billion times more interested in it. As is, it just feels like a waste of Tony's time and energy. For now.