Question English Translation for some KR novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by JinVodka, Aug 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I would like to ask is where is the original site of for this novel and if there is an english translation: If I Happened to Tame my Brother Well, The Tyrant’s Tranquilizer, The Villain’s Sister Suffers Today and I Raised an Obsessive Servant

Seems like the KR authors/publisher is hunting the english translators so their site is already password protected or dropped. I still want to read so if the price is reasonable I might just read the novels website like what lezhin and tapas does (though lezhin is so expensive and full of BL that I don't visit there anymore). Though, I don't expect there will be english release yet. Just need confirmation, thanks

Sorry for bad english, i'm too hungry

2. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Me when reading the author's hunting the translator
    [​IMG]

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  3. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are author/publisher hunting translate. They didn't sell their book, they only translated it to read. What's wrong to translated korean to english. If it's illegal then why are there is google translated. Author are petty. Moreover they plagiarism other author work, japenese novel. That's why there too much otome games, yandere novel.

Edited: I may be bad girl, but I hate when author hunting hard working angel translate.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  4. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because it lowers the desire of a lot of people to read the book. If I've already read it then I'm likely to buy the book if they have it translated and sold. The best would probably to have a few free chapters to gain interest and then you have to pay for the rest.

5. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is sad because translating a novel is free advertising. Unlike what many people like to say, it does not decrease the number of people that buy the book. An argument can actually be made that it can increase sales by allowing the book to reach audiences it normally wouldn’t.
    It is unfortunate how short sighted greedy corporations line a lot of lawyers pockets by causing frivolous law suites for something that is technically not illegal and actually benefits the book.

Aisha Ann likes this.
  6. HnM_Pete

HnM_Pete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Translating excerpts of a novels would be free advertising. Translating the whole thing affects future sales, and, if done badly, may completely ruin the novel for a foreign market.
    An argument can actually be made both ways. There's a significant chunk of translation audience that would never buy in the first place. There's a chunk that will not buy after they got it for free. There's a chunk that will. It's complicated. For an off-the-cuff example: people who read fan translations are not exactly in love with YenPress and don't build a good impression of the company in the new audiences they spread the word to.
    It is illegal under most jurisdictions in the world. What's more, the copyright holders that don't defend their IP when aware it is infringed upon risk losing that copyright altogether. There's also no lawsuits yet, just stern letters to the translators to please stop.

You could make an argument that some sort of mutual relationship could be in best interest of both sides, but getting there would be messy and I can see why the publishers don't bother.

7. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Breaker [Manhua] never got licensed for the English Market because it was fully translated.
    The only way to have a physical copy of it is to either buy the Korean version or print the fan translations.

Besides having the series translated, you have to understand that fan translation groups translate whatever they want. Sometimes it's good, but oftentimes it's pretty terrible. Just look up Jojo Duwang. I can't bear to read some novels because the translations are terrible or outright MTL garbage.

8. luhmp

luhmp Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just know that in the country were I live only a few novels are published ( I can count then on only one hand) and I only know one guy that translate novels, but they aren't my taste.

If it isn't for me knowing a second language and the groups translating it, I wouldn't have access to anything. Not even paying cause if the price is in dollar it always gets at lest 4 or 5 times more expensive.

If you have the money, buy it! if the artist is the one receiving profit, one more reason to buy it! However if you really don't have the money, it's not accessible and the one holding the money is a rich corporation, just go and pirate it.
    Piranting creates market competition, industries don't like it, but I'm sure consumers do!

Conspiracy theory below:
    I just don't trust that ah something wasn't really translated to x language because it already had been pirated, idk maybe they already estimated how much they would risk thought it wouldn't sell that much and later when some fans (because they already read the pirated translations) complained, they put the blame on piratary.
    Industries are like:
    So you read it out of my terms and conditions before it was accessible in your region, therefore creating a market but also obligating me to lower prices so I can access a larger audience by lowering my profit? You know what I prefer a market were I have a monopoly of the story and we're I can make it as expensive as I want, knowing fans don't have any other option!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.