Discussion Do you choose to read novels based on update frequency?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by gnessa14, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazilygrinningcat

lazilygrinningcat Cookie Thief

Reading List:
    Link
    I read novels that interest me. It matters not whether it's slow or not. Though after reaching the latest update, that's when I tend to consider whether I would wait for updates or stash them and let them stock up some chapters. I'd pick it up after I have no chapters to read then. That's if I didn't forget them completely. I tend to forget novels if they had some similarities to other novels.

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  2. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL was the solution for you, so just read what you like something that make you enjoy reading it.

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  3. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m learning Japanese and half assing Chinese, so hopefully in a few years I could gather enough ability to read the raws bore they are translated (and then live with endless regret in the meantime)

Refulgent, Ylle-QinMo and gnessa14 like this.
  4. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. But once they gain some popularity, some big ass publisher would swoop in and take it away. Just look at The Second Coming of Gluttony or Solo Leveling. They used to be 1 or 2 ch/wk, now it's 1 ch/day and Solo Leveling is completely translated.

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  5. Aytise

Aytise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed when there's more frequent updates the read is much more enjoyable, i wonder how many years it will take to finish a single novel otherwise

Ylle-QinMo and novaes like this.
  6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    No merit, I'm not reading webnovels anymore but if I see a fanfic has been out for more than 2 years and has only crossed 100k mark I ain't gonna read that. There are some authors that are writting fictions that can only end after a million words, yet in 7 years they wrote only a a tenth of that, pointless.

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  7. PEKA

PEKA Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The others will cover the flaw

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  8. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well a lot of the time, some novels just have really bad tl speeds. Like once per month is fine with me, but make them consistent. If the schedule is actually consistent I don't care how long there is to wait between chapters.

Refulgent and Ylle-QinMo like this.
  9. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I read WN because the story itself. If update frequency is slow like a chapter for one month then I will wait patiently, just take a look at Mother of Learning, many people willing to wait a month just for one chapter, we did that because the story is good. If the translated WN gone hiatus then I will search the Raw and use MTL to read it till complete or at the latest raw chapter, like novel Dark Mage complete raw volumes that I found after weeks searching and posted on my blog.

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  10. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care if the novel release one chapter a month or year. Because I literally have 200+ jp novels so downloaded in my phone and 50 or 100 cn novels lol. So I have really long time to build up for slow novels.

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  11. shinobimike22

shinobimike22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    120ch novel doing 1 chp/mo? holyfck... Thats a no for me unless the novel itself was a real deal research on "How to change seawater to wine" or "How to open a door to a parallel world" or something like that

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  12. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I used to only read published books I didn't mind so much, since I could retain most information and infer the forgotten things as I went. Published authors are a lot better at this than web publishers.

When I started reading web serials and began to suffer from chronic f5-itis, I eventually figured out that yes, you need reliable schedules since most web serials are not high enough quality to maintain momentum on their own merits. My basic rules are something like this:
    • must have 200 pages minimum to start, or
    • 20-30 chapters released close to each other
    • if less, must hit the niche genres I'm craving
    • needs rapid updates or I forget the story (I'm reading way to much to keep it all in long-term memory)
    Basically, I need SEROTONIN! This bad boy right here is what keeps me reading, my brain absolutely cannot maintain that buzz forever, it needs to be fed or the anticipation dies. Ever loved the heck out of a story, then the updates die? Then when you see they resumed much later, you really don't care anymore? Yeah, that's me all over.

Disclaimer: Many stories turn to crap after a few dozen chapters, so I see why the translators stopped their work sometimes. But really, if you want to succeed you either need to pander to a desperate niche, have rapid updates or be fantastic at writing.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Refulgent, Ylle-QinMo and mir like this.
  13. namio

namio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the sort to doom myself with really good novels that's hard to MTL and only has like... 11 translated chapters. They're likely to be on a months-long hiatus, too.
    The tragic truth is that sometimes the really good stuff are hard to translate well and quickly, so regular updates is a true struggle on the part of the translators LOL It's totally understandable, though it sucks, so I just shrug and hope someone picks it back up. The fact that they're great novels doesn't change, though, and that's the biggest thing for me. Daily updates of pure shit isn't exactly how I'd like my daily meals....
    If it's MTL-able I'd MTL it while waiting for translation; but someone else mentioned also that reading like 1029323 novels at the same time really helps with making it bearable.

Ylle-QinMo likes this.
  14. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. I look at the frequency to see if the the releases are consistent or if it's getting randomly dropped for months at a time. And if there are a lot of chapters left and the updates are slow or inconsistent, I don't start reading. If it looks good, I'll still put it in a reading list for things to try far in the future.

Ylle-QinMo and novaes like this.
  15. Ylle-QinMo

Ylle-QinMo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Second the motion. Because I hate being in cliffhanging story

16. AKIKAN

AKIKAN The Dicktator

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there are still people reading Mad Snail's novels. I wish they would stop so that no one will read that guy's novels anymore. It's not like it's gonna finish anyway.

I have read many novels that went on infinite hiatus. Their novels look promising at first, then the authors just had to experiment something unnecessary and written themselves into a corner, failing to deliver the ch on time or just became lazy and rarely released it, and then stopped writing it altogether. I have nothing but scorn for them.

The worst thing about them is that they still have the nerve to ask for tickets and votes for their novels to earn the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.