Recommendations Bad Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Risuke, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Risuke

Risuke Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'm on a journey to read the highs and lows of novel translations. I've already read plenty of average to great quality novels, but it is more difficult to find badly translated novels. Emphasis on "translated." I don't want to read novels that are inherently bad because of bad writing. I want to read novels that are bad because they have been butchered through GT, machine translation, blasphemous interpretations, and such. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could recommend me some "bad" novels that you guys have read before. This is not a troll post, but a genuine inquiry.

Edit: On a second thought, badly written novels might not be too bad either. Send me any recommendations for badly written novels if you have them.

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
  3. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >Badly written novels
    >All japanese novels
    Done

4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm rather surprised no one talked about Invisible Dragon. I guess it's a good novel after all.

Pleasantly-plump likes this.
  5. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    try the fanfiction tag

6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I find “I Woke Up Pregnant With An Undead’s Child” nigh on unreadable. Anything I’ve read by Flying Lines is a bit of a headache. I feel bad to mention another novel I’ve stopped reading because it’s too much of a headache, since I know English isn’t the translator’s first language, so I don’t want to mention it by name...

Boo!!!! Oh, wait, you probably mean fanfiction of asian novels, not all fanfiction... right? :blobninja: Sorry, knee jerk response to un-constructive criticism.

7. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    have you tried reading MTL ?
    go to Estelion’s Secret Imouto's web site (just google that phrase) and you will get terribly translated novels
    there is a ton of others, don't remember them all...
    there are quite a few novels badly translated, so I don't know why you say they are hard to find. In my view novels with good quality translation are harder to find

8. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first few chapters of I’m Not Going to Be Bullied By a Girl were horrible. Although it was a good novel many readers didn't continue reading it because of how shit the first few chapters were translated
    Nope, it was perfectly translated. The translators were true alphas to translate every typo and mistake to truly experience the masterpiece Invisible Dragon is

kenar likes this.
  9. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Pleasantly-plump likes this.
  10. Risuke

Risuke Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm trying to find the worst of the worst. There isn't any place where people recommend their worst novels that they have ever read... MTL can be both good and bad. So simply saying MTL leaves a broad spectrum of novels from 2013-14 KR GT to dictionary translations. I personally think finding terrible novels that is on par on the opposite end of the spectrum of the highest qualtiy translations to be more difficult. A masochistic translator has to be willing to translated such a terrible work and suffer long enough to finish the novel.

11. Rilise

Rilise Aestivating

Reading List:
    Link
    Banished to Another World's current tl made my brain hurts

SayMrrp likes this.
  12. Syash

Syash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Midnight Cinderella. The first chapters especially by Isohungry were edited so it's fine, but after chap 20 or something, on the translator's wattpad, it's just pure MTL, practically copied from google translate, I assume. Even names were translated.

13. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what you expect. Open raws and run them through the google translate, see how that compares to "bad translation".
    What does bad translation constitute for you?
    For me bad translation is:
    - Non-sentence
    - Incoherent paragraphs
    - Errors in the tenses
    - Multiple grammatical errors throughout

14. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of novels translated by Babel Realm has many reviews which complain about their translation quality. (Personally, I don't know for sure, since I haven't read any of their works.)

As for badly written novels... just check out Qidian's original works. Most of them (except for the few, rare gems) have terribly written plotlines and a bunch of grammar/spelling mistakes. It really amazes me how low some people's standards are for what makes a good novel.

15. Risuke

Risuke Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for anything honestly. Incomplete sentences, incoherent strings of text, completely flipped sentence arrangements, translator's addition of detail that isn't in the raws, grammar dysfunction, completely incorrect translations. I might have a bias against "bad" translations because I've already dug my head seven feet deep into google translate. I need to pull my head out of the sand and find the societal norms of what is bad.

16. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This might differ from OP's (or others') opinions regarding of badly translated/badly written novels since I am a non-native English speaker, but here is my list :

- Magi's Grandson (somewhere in the middle of currently translated chapters, up until idk where. I dropped it)
    - Otoko Nara Ikkokuichijou no Aruji o Mezasa Nakya, ne? (the translator before the current one, though he did say that he posted an edited mtl version)
    - To Deprive a Deprived Person (Funny thing, even the title translation is not accurate)
    - That Person. Later on… (the whole translations from the first translator, idk about the current translator)
    - Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou!
    - Ex Strongest Swordsman Longs For Magic In Different World
    - I’m Back in the Other World?

and possibly more that I did not list on my reading list/reviews

17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    everything that tornberry said
    I Said Make My Abilities Average!
    Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu
    Gun-ota ga Mahou Sekai ni Tensei Shitara, Gendai Heiki de Guntai Harem o Tsukucchaimashita!?
    Going Back and Forth Between Earth and The Other World with Space Time Magic
    Saving 80,000 Gold in an Another World for Retirement
    Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi
    The Laid-back Life in Another World of the Ex-Hero Candidate Who Turned out to be a Cheat from Level 2

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You want to torture yourself?
    I would have taken a stab at it, if you told me that you wanted to read badly written novels to know the psyche of the author.
    I am a sadist but I rather torture someone without them being aware they are being tortured. It's not the same thing if they know...
    [​IMG]

*Says in a small voice* Read on Asianhobbyist.com. it's so bad that you should turn off your adblocker and donate so you can be truly hardcore.

19. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Like books by Marquis de Sade, origin of the word Sadist? :blobpeek:

Wujigege likes this.
  20. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep I tried reading My fiance fell in love with my sister something like that and I can't even understand the sequence of the events