Red Alert! Red Alert! Help!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Chize, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Facebook got nothing going on for them but the games and ads, the guy found his call in there leave him be, he wants to call others to join something or another, it is just marketing, worst that could happen he gets nothing, just make sure he pays nothing and stop bothering him for nothing, being meddlesome is just a waste of time, leave him to it, sooner or later he will give up

3. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Call me a fool but man he is your father and way more experienced the you are.
    He should be a smart man just Google him both pros and cons of the topic and let him decide , just tell him to be careful and not invest too much. Do show him all those scammed examples too though.

Donutmindme and kfahad like this.
  4. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My condolences.

5. Boredgasm

Boredgasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most MLM schemes nowadays don’t actually require you to “buy in” on anything, but will instead just make you invest all your time while paying you next to nothing. At its core it will probably remain a sales job, and if your dad is good at sales then he can still make good money, assuming this is MLM.

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Use his login to do things that go against the rules and get him banned. Send random google dick pics to your own account, delete the traces on his and report him on yours. :blob_blush:

Donutmindme and LordCorwin like this.
  7. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Threaten him with jail time but make sure to have a firm of assurance of your own safety.

8. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know your family situation (who the parental figures in the family are, whether there are relatives assisting, etc), but I somewhat agree with @Har D Rai.
    Go the softer route first. Do your research about the MLM, gather concrete evidence about the company (everything from official BBB ratings, to FTC). Tons of official links. Who knows, maybe this MLM has already been reported. It should just take you a few hours at most, don't panic.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2014/05/telltale-signs-pyramid-scheme
    Once that's done you could broach the subject with your father, or find another authoritative family member to assist.

If that still fails and there's critical family funds involved then consider dialing 911 for advice. It's a non-emergency (immediate life-threatening) but they can refer you to the appropriate channels for help. At least you'd have done your homework by then and this would be a legitimate call. You might then be able to get proper legal advice.
    I mean, even a kid could call 911 for pizza and they delivered =)
    https://www.npr.org/2019/08/09/749659080/boys-calls-911-for-pizza-cops-deliver

I'm not sure what age you are, so my above suggestions are assuming
    (1) this is a legitimate call for help,
    (2) you're still in your teens and,
    (3) that you may not have legal authority to make certain decisions.
    If that's accurate, then this is a serious issue and you should ignore some of the earlier comments from other commentators ("threaten jail time", "calling a lawyer", "parental block", "leave him to his own devices and let him learn his own lesson *paraphrasing* ", etc). They are mostly clownish references to Southpark, tv tropes, impractical advice or uninformed opinions.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. thekingofgamez

thekingofgamez [He who makes others cough up blood in anger!]

Reading List:
    Link
    find a movie that is similar to what is going on and make him watch it. seeing it happen to someone else even if its through a movie might help

10. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    It's on FB. Just hide post lol

elengee likes this.
  11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, try r/antimlm for some good ideas. Those companies are the scourge of the earth, and Fully legal (so far).

AMissingLinguist and bidoblob like this.
  12. bidoblob

bidoblob Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AMissingLinguist likes this.
  13. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s not how pyramid schemes work. Pyramid schemes work by forcing you to meet a certain quota of sales. If you don’t make the sales, you get penalized. Each lower tier of people is forced to make more sales than the tier above. What ends up happening is that the salepeople are forced to buy their own products each month, losing money, as there are only so many people who will fall for buying the wares.

Donutmindme, kenar, bidoblob and 2 others like this.
  14. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I said
    You can't stop people from doing their business, you just need to be smart :blobsweat_2:
    Lots of people won't stop unless they try whatever it is that comes to their mind (like me) in such cases you take precautions and not waste time trying to stop them (you can try but for those convinced or curious they won't stop even if you keep telling them not to, they will do it :blobsweat_2:) that is why you take precautions and let them do what they want, once they find the truth they will leave on their own or if it is legit (rarely) they get hooked

15. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Pyramid schemes work because they trick people. If people didn’t get hooked, there would be no such thing as pyramid schemes. It’s similar to how normally intelligent people can fall for cults. There’s some sort of mental trickery that goes on there, which is why it’s a really bad idea to let yourself get caught up in it in the first place.

16. Jellyfish 00

Jellyfish 00 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember the name of government department but the have list which know if company is legal. As far I know pyramid scheme need a company to ease their target.

17. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude.. stop being so easy-going. The problem is that his/her dad are convinced enough to "invest" money in the scheme.. better be safe than sorry.
    Marketing? Dude have you even been scammed before? My family did go through this original post situation.. in fact all family members had their own on the same situation, but different case. So if i were you i wouldn't be so relaxed and wait til another of my family got scammed, yet again, and lost hundred thousand dollars of moneh just like that, poof.

Call me whatever you wants but not every parent are matured enough to be a parent, some of them might not even ready to be one when they already had 3 kids. Dont expect just because they have way more experience than their child, they can be much clever.

I am saying this because what you said was what i exactly did when my parents got into MLM scheme, and after having big losses, both my two big brother got scammed by their own respective "trusted, friends" company, both on two separate cases..

I am the only one in my family who thought whatever they believed were bullsh*t from the start. I thought they surely will realized how fools they are sooner or later since they're older than me, since they should have waaaay more experience than me right? But you see, people who tried to scam them are not fools either. In the end, my family loss soo much when we can just use all those money to maybe even buy a new home or two.. complete with new cars etc..

Donutmindme, kenar and kkgoh like this.
  18. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it isnt like there is no money to be made if you have good timing. As long as he isnt being an idiot by joining below the middle of the pyramid it should be fine. Depends on what kind of pyramid tho

19. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried telling your Dad how terrified you are right now? You never know. An emotional heartfelt plea might get through where logic has failed.

PS: I would have hardcopy printouts of the information on pyramid schemes ready to give to him at the end of your plea. Make sure they are clear and direct, and printed in slightly larger than normal font. (15-16pnt font, unless he has bad eyes, in which case make it even bigger.). Also be sure the text is occasionally broken up by graphics or pictures. You want this to be as easy to read as possible.

20. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    You said it, it is a mental trick (or rather the sugar coated words of a good marketing strategy or an excellent scam) nevertheless, some people won't learn unless they try and see how reality really is, or if they are someone trying to learn the inns and outs of the 'business' perhaps making their own scheme next :blobsweat_2:
    Well, I am sorry for what happened to your family, but I did say "make sure not to pay anything", it is good to try but not actually invest (would you or your family stop if someone told you not to? I don't know what happened to you mate but actually losing money because of an internet scheme that everyone knows about is kind of and excuse me for saying this but it is stupid :blobsweat_2:)