She Cried.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Aug 31, 2019.

1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda wonder. Maybe I should start blogging on NU instead of writing ranting post thread like this.

What do you do when someone cry? And you're kinda...like one of the factors. I didn't say anything mean. It's at work. A work related situation.

I made a digital mistake and so the new people with reload card for their paycheck would not be getting their payment on time. I get it. I'm should have been more diligent. This was my worst nightmare. But then, I can't take responsibility for people's situation. I just can't.

Yea, I made the mistake. This is causing a chain affect. But still, it is not truly my fault that they are in their position.

She came and cried because I told her we made a mistake when we entered the reload card into our system missing digits; and so, they will receive that payment next week. She wept claiming she won't make her bills--her rent; and would be charged. I feel bad. Honestly, I do. My whole body went into this shake and nervous oh-shit mode. But I cannot take the blame. After all, her paycheck would amount to roughly 400. Who pays rent at this rate? Unless, she is under government assistant. It doesn't matter because hr situation is because of her. Why didn't she have put some money away for emergence? Can't she borrow money until she is paid?

Although I feel I hold some fault. She is the one entirely in control of her life. Make plans.

What ya think? I probably sounds like a douche bag.

once people started to response, I realize maybe how I word it was wrong. I do admit my fault and my department fault. I was certainly not the only one that the account numbers went through. The system should have catch the lack of digit and rebound or something. But it didn’t. I am entirely new to keying reload card. We did exactly the same thing as direct deposit, I just didn’t know we need three additional digit prior to the account number. I also had the instruction in front and somehow missed this as well. The co-worker who was doing it with me as I taught her, also missed this as she read the instruction. My gut at the time was to ask my boss to run over one session with me. I learn fast and just to get the minor details. But she was super busy so I simply ask if this was the same as direct deposit. We should have realized that if I was asking questions, we should have set a time to sit down and do it together once. Prior to payroll closing, I double check all reload cards double time. What I don’t know I can’t catch and so I didn’t catch the error. Afterward, I did a double check that they were paid and everyone was. The money just wasn’t directed in the right direction and was not showing up in reload accounts.

Anyhow, I dug around once one employee, with a very cute daughter, showed up. I didn’t know why he wasn’t getting his $$. I instructed him to call a rep from the card company, while I continued to search for the cause on my side. Since I didn’t know we need that three digits I just casually re-trace my steps, until I happened upon that step and everything made sense. I emailed my supervisor and update our software before heading to lunch. I told my coworker what happened and informed her to tell the supervisor if the boss came back and I’m still having lunch. The boss was back but didn’t ask about it, so I went and asked her about it. We chatted and soon corporate responded. I immediately came up with a list of people who had new reload cards, and we sent that within minutes to the corporate. Thank god lord for my hoarding habits. I keep documents for a while before shredding. So I have records of all we gave reload cards to, else who knows what. By then, it is all in the hands of corporate. Nothing we can do.

I had two employees who had asked about this issue and was honest we had an error and we were fixing it ASAP. She were chill about it. She was the third one that asked me and broke down. We screw her when it comes to paycheck, but her financial situation is her responsibility. I can only apologize for our mistake and failure to provide proper payment, but I cannot take on the role that I was the cause of her financial situation. It is too heavy of a burden for we are not the only factors and IDK if this payment could even pay her rent. Rent here are high, even when you have roommates.

Nonetheless, I still think I sound like a douche bag.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Matteus likes this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I raise my hand and ask if they really want something to cry about.:blobtriumph:

Femme Fatale likes this.
  3. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    Let her borrow money from you to pay her bills? or any of you so she can pay her bills? or she is just shy in borrowing money so you offer it first.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Commit sudoku for your mistake.

5. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    That is life.
    Mistakes happens, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    With this, she will learn to have backup money.
    Be happy! You made her feel pain this one time, but with this, she will be cautious and avoid bigger difficulties.

6. Necromanico

Necromanico Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are an ass. You refuse to take the blame and instead saying it's her fault that she's poor? You are a piece of work. You screwed up and someone else is paying for it. You literally just said she isn't getting paid because of your mistake, it is your fault.

7. MarSprite

MarSprite <Impossible to Gauge>

Reading List:
    Link
    I lived on 800 a month for many years, when that's all you have, saving really isn't an option. Rent, food, utilities- basically knocks the whole sum out.
    When shit inevitably happens, it screws you pretty hard.

Ultimately it's a train-wreck waiting to happen. You aren't responsible for that train-wreck, even though your mistake contributed. My suggestion is to remember this as a learning experience, that your mistakes can impact peoples lives in ways you don't want them to, and redouble your efforts to be diligent in your work.

You are human. Humans make mistakes. Forgive yourself.

8. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It IS your mistake. Sure, maybe she overreact or have bad plannings. But it is your mistake, don't try to blame it on her.

pandaqueen and Kirill like this.
  9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    She could have roommates and be paying only a part of the total of the rent. And yes, there are many people who aren’t able to save because they don’t make enough, even working multiple jobs, or because they have other costs that drain the money, like medical bills or children or a family member who needs special care. At least in the U.S., a lot of the younger generation simply cannot save because our living costs are much higher than the wages we get paid. There have been a few times myself when I wasn’t able to pay bills because I didn’t have the money. Fortunately, I’m in a much better place financially speaking now, but that’s only due to luck.

Necromanico, Lurking, Beltran and 5 others like this.
  10. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like this dude said. Humans made mistakes. What you can do is not to repeat your mistakes.

But I like it when girls cried

UnGrave and elengee like this.
  11. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I made mistakes in the past, not things I am proud to talk about as I did hurt some people :sweating_profusely: and sometimes I got hurt (albeit I wasn't in the wrong :blobtriumph:) nevertheless I try to mend my mistakes and apologize if possible (some people just don't want an apology :blobsweat_2:), not going to lie I have lots of pride so trying to apologize is a hurdle to me but I am not heartless, when I see someone crying and it is because of me someway or another I simply try to comfort them, anyway, enough of me, I say lend her some money and make sure she pay you back one week later (make her sign to pay you back if you don't trust her), it is no big deal don't complicate matters, the world is like that, we all make mistakes, there is nothing embarrassing admitting it, what is embarrassing is acting like a douche and running away saying it is not my fault :blobexpressionless: that is irresponsible and will make your consciousness restless (I for myself hate that :blob_coughblood:)

Anra7777 and 01 like this.
  12. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    This may sound bad, but from the way you wrote things, it seems that you feel like you're not at fault at all. But well, you're may be feeling a bit guilty (mostly because of the tears maybe? I understand the crappy feeling of people blaming you while in tears). You're asking cause maybe you want someone to say that, "yeah it wasn't your fault, blablabla, she needs to be prepared for these things."

And yep. You don't need to ask us that. You know best how it should have gone cause you were there. You know what the situation was, the mistakes that were made, and what you could have done better. Maybe, now you know how much that mistake affected people. The guilt will pass(if you're not the type that holds on to regrets), and frankly you don't need to compensate her for what happens to her personal life (of course, you need to explain this to her patiently, or better yet, just say it won't happen again but you can't help her this way). It's good that you're feeling emphatic, but the way you keep justifying yourself here... uh. I dunno. Maybe go to your close friends for that?Just believe what you will man. I trust that you know what's right. And finally, as everyone always says, learn from your mistake. The best compensation to people you've wronged, is to not mess up the same way again. If you manage to do this, people who still bring up the past mistakes are the douchebags, not you.

(Ps: Sorry if I offended you with some words. I meant no offence. Good luck.)

Lurking, Beltran and kenar like this.
  13. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Emergencies you can't plan for happen when you can only save a little. She might have had good planning but had her car go out or had plumbing issues recently.

It is YOUR responsibility to do your job and make sure people get paid. Additionally I would try to fix this error as soon as possible. They are entirely within their rights to sue you over this.

Their contract when signed into the position almost certainly includes designated pay periods. If they experience problems due to you breaking that, you will be held liable in court. Your problem, fix the mess you made, or the court fixes it for you.

Additionally you can't be held responsible for their living situation, but you are ENTIRELY responsible for when they needed to be paid by. If you can't accept that responsibility then you frankly don't belong in any kind of management position. In management the most important thing isn't not making mistakes, it's owning your mistakes and quickly working to better them, someone who pushes off their own responsibility any chance they get is a good way for a business to die.

Lurking, Beltran, kenar and 4 others like this.
  14. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    This is how Casting Couch usually starts. :blobwoah:
    [​IMG]

Beltran, Femme Fatale, 01 and 2 others like this.
  15. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, you fucked up but is talking shit about the girl? That's pretty messed up bruh...

kenar, Kirill and onnyfp like this.
  16. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    You basically ranted to make yourself feel better in your mistake.
    You are blaming her for the guilt you feel because you caused her trouble.
    It is true that they are the ones responsible for their life and accidents like this happens but it is still your mistake nonetheless that caused this.

If everything went according to plan then they would have the amount of money equivalent to the amount of hours they worked.
    Well, her choice, if her credit card is at max is to borrow money from friends and families.

17. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Set up a GoFundMe for her.

18. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about just fixing your mistake instead of blaming her for not saving money for emergency?
    How about fixing your mistake instead of ranting online?

Saying she should have just saved money for these kind of scenarios, how much of her life do you know exactly? Do you know where exactly her paycheck is going aside from rent?

Because if she's just lavishly spending it random shite then fine, but if she's also paying important bills then you're being an absolute a-hole

Necromanico and Lurking like this.
  19. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    no offense to her, but if someone is in that much desperation for money, I would never loan them money unless I was very close to them

GDLiZy likes this.
  20. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, she's just as justified to hate you as you are to make the mistake. I personally feel nothing about other people so I don't know how to offer you advice. Accept that she's blaming you and move on? I know when I make a big mistake like this I definitely think about covering my own assets before my worry about other people so we're probably similar in that regard. My only advice is this: don't try to get people on your side with that explanation you have above. It's not going to make you allies, and you'd be much better off bowing and scraping for forgiveness.

Lurking and MarSprite like this.