Korean Is this the Butcher's, Everyone's an A Rank Except Me

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by Eeveelutionlvr, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Eeveelutionlvr

Eeveelutionlvr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Is this a Butchers, Everyone's an A Rank Except Me
    Raw Link:
    http://www.joara.com/literature/view/book_intro.html?book_code=1231074
    NU Link: None
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two versions of the cover, small one with the title, big one with just the cover image.

Description:

Author synopsis: Hey, I think the saviour of humanity's headed this way. Of course, I'm not talking about myself.

Why It Should Get Picked Up (and my own description of the series):

In a modern-fantasy setting where monsters constantly invade and wreck large chunks of our world, you have humans awaken to skills, magic, fantasy weapons, blah blah blah, your usual KR modern fantasy. But this ain't no dungeon raider or hunter novel, no it is not. Our MC is a mook with low-level power to barely be able to tussle against a low-rank monster and survive, with his motley team of whatever fellow mooks he's assigned, to thin out the mobs so the A rankers can clear the boss while they're still fresh. Surprisingly enough, our MC, a man in his early-mid 20s with a thoroughly jaded outlook on life, is a colleague and relatively close friend of the 'hero' and his party. Our MC's daily grind and near-death struggles changes when through no real fault of his own, he gets dragged into the a family squabble of the family who is the CEO and biggest shareholder of the largest company on the planet, as the younger sister of a member of the hero party joins his team with her maid, complete with French maid outfit. (???) Although the fact that he nearly dies in each arc never really changes.

So although this does have fights like your typical KR modern fantasy, they are not the showpieces of this series. What this does focus on, and in my opinion do very well, are the conflicts and politics between people both within a team and without. And unlike most other novels where each arc is essentially a 'reset' of the previous in terms of consequences, each arc here either affects, or sets up aspects or key events of future arcs. MC's background actually affects his thought process, decision making, emotional conflict and how he goes about doing things instead of your generic 'oh i used to be poor but now i got op power and i gotta get rich off it and hide it so i can profit and not be exploited etc etc etc.' Even when the MC does get stronger, his abilities still don't make him a cheat by any means, so you get insight in the mind of a genuine layman who does is best to navigate himself and his team through politics and conflict. Sometimes you also get POV switches to other characters at either the same location, or ones doing things in other places to give us an idea of what's happening in the meanwhile that can affect other characters. Oh, and it also makes fun of Brexit, Korean politics, Japanese politics, US politics etc. For better or for worse, it does become a harem of sorts, but all of them have good reasons to like him other than 'he's a nice person,' and since it's Korean modern fantasy there's little blatant fanservice thrown at us. Just some more subtle, good stuff. The fact that none of the girls are really all that bad or there's no designated winner from the beginning doesn't hurt.

The author's confirmed that he won't be converting this to a P2R until it finishes at least, and although Joara's not exactly the easiest site to scrape from, it isn't that hard to scrape its raws, manually at least. This gives any translator ample time and ease to check things out and read ahead, etc. Moreover, since this is a WN without a licensed publisher, a dedicated group can actually try to get proper permission/license for this series directly from the author.

One thing to note that due to the nature of its complexity, it does require a good translator, one that's at least better than myself. I honestly want to pick it up myself, but I have to read the chapter at least twice and flick through the comments to fully understand what's going on due to my comparatively crappy Korean skills, I have my hands full with RATH as it is and I've also got another project earmarked that I have no idea when I'll be starting. Plus, since I have a shit naming sense re:titles, someone else needs to take a crack at a translation of the title because I suck at it.

Brago130sf, Paps, Mufarasu and 4 others like this.
  2. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

Westeller likes this.
  3. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    The Art reminds me of Ares manhwa

4. Kishimura

Kishimura 騎士村

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm intrigued :blob_plusone:

Westeller likes this.
  5. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Could be interesting if it doesn't get drawn too much into the usual harem and fanservice garbage...

6. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. linnil

linnil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link