Question How would you build a xianxia-based VRMMORPG?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by kkgoh, Aug 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're considering a larger sandbox like, for example, only sense online, then I guess it's possible to come up with something like a Dao (unlock at stage: soul formation for example) where the system calculates all the exp (= qi) the cultivator has absorbed during different activities, like (player Nan Wang made 100 exp with the spirit herb gardener III skill and 400 exp with the Ultimate Dragon Slash IX skill and 300 exp as daily bonuses (closed cultivation) as well as 699 exp with many skills (<= 10 for each). Dao created. +10% bonus in proficiency when growing spirit herbs + 6% bonus in efficiency when learning the skills of the sword slashing tree + 3% affinity to the dragon-related skills and treasures.... Insert the name for your Dao: ___ ) this would allow the cultivators to have even more reason to plan out their builds (solidify foundation)

2. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, but the nonsensical variation in xianxia (and LMS) is precisely the part that gets off-putting in most RPG type scenarios. After awhile, all those stats no longer matter. If so, what's the point of having stats/structured levels?
    The only reason we still keep reading the various xianxia novels and LMS is because the development and fantastical world described is enough to keep us entertained. It doesn't fix the fundamental problem of excessive skills that make no sense.

To clarify, sandbox worlds are ok, but excessive sandbox like LMS doesn't work. A game needs to be a game, not ACTUAL reality. Else why are you playing a game? To replicate your job in real life? The basic premise for ALL games is standard. Some amount of effort/risk MUST get you CALCULABLE amount of reward. Even the ridiculous open-world/lack-of-clear-objective-besides-nonsensical-nostalgia that is "Ready Player One" has a simple incentive. Find clues to inherit a fortune.
    That's the difference with reality which has excessive variation/possibilities to the point that you cannot reasonably figure out a reward, if there's any at all.
    Which is precisely why I get annoyed when people claim "No Game No Life" is great. The whole setup is stupid. It's a bunch of socially awkward kids who couldn't make it in the real world that escaped to a game world to lord it over others since the rules/life is simpler. If they are such geniuses, they can't figure out the rules of reality? Or can they only function when they are given a fixed set of rules to work with? I digress ...

Think it's best that authors just keep VRMMORPG novels well-structured and balanced.
    They could take a page from one of the older CN novels (can't rem which, Martial World or something similar?) where teams of various specs actually matter. That keeps inline with the game element and need for social interaction (parties, dungeons that require XX players to be included, etc).

LMS still made some sense in the beginning since classes / jobs were silo'd. You could be a farmer and enjoy it because there were calculable rewards. i.e. literally play Farmville in a VRMMORPG. But the balance was broken because all these players have to interact in an open world whether they like it or not. Think that's one of the core tenets of game design. If you could be PK'd even if all you wanted to do was farm, with limited options to defend yourself, then that would be a very broken game.

Guess it comes full circle ... a VRMMORPG has to be designed first as a game. Came across a decent Youtube vid covering game design.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  3. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would go a bit of a different route but still like some games I've played.

Levels:
    1-12 - Qi Condensing
    1-12 - Foundation building
    ... Core... etz etz
    Once you reach level 10 you go on some epic quest to make a breakthrough, this can be a global quest or a specific dungeon. Going to level 11 or 12 will yield you much more stat points, that will be carried over. However the time it takes to go to level 12 will be 4 times it took from 9 to 10. Once you complete your quest to the next level your level goes back to 1 but a class higher so to speak. All your stats get multiplied by 10. This should make class jumping in fights very difficult but not impossible. It will also reward those who took the extra time to max out their stats by going to level 12. You would still have your basic stats like Int - raises your qi power, strength, agility, etz etz.

Classes
    There are no defined classes!!! Go back to your western games if you want a class.

Skills
    I would make a skill tree similar to Path of Exile / Guild Wars. You can go many many ways on your skill tree. Each level you get 1 skill point, each class up you get 10. You start by picking the skills you like, like in guild wars, your skills given decide what roll you play. You can then upgrade those skills with your skill points with either buffs or advanced tiers of the skills. Like in Path of Exile you should be able to take any basic skill and upgrade it in multiple ways that are unique to your play style. If you invest enough points in a skill it should eventually become ridiculously overpowered... However it's your choice if you want to specialize or not.

Jobs/Profession
    What is a world without a blacksmith, alchemist, and such? These all go into the Jobs or Profession categories. You can spend your time to make some nice flying weapons or learn to make yourself some potions, maybe train some pets to sell, like most games this would be just a side job to the main game and your choice what you do, how much you do, etz.

World
    I would start the world as the main character going to a sect to take the entrance exam. At this point you can customize your character and choose a initial path. For example like in Fallout you get points to assign to different attributes. You can decide if you want a single or double cultivation root! or if you want a Yin or Yang body, if you want to start out with a special physical skill or such. Having 1 boost will cost you in different areas, would you rather have easier time growing your skills (+1 skill point every 2 levels) or get a boost to certain skills (Double strength on all Fire attribute skills with a Yang body). Add all kinds of random skills you see in novels that could help you out!

After entering the sect I would add a whole sect life section where you learn the game, have tournaments, get sent to the
    surrounding areas for sect quests and so on... Once you are high enough in level you can go out and 'explore' which opens up the rest of the world.

kkgoh likes this.
  4. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i lol'ed

5. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't that just be an idle game?

otaku31 likes this.
  6. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What about vr in vr?

7. Ruyh

Ruyh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I was EA. I would put auction houses which were paid with real money. And several instances of Meng Hao's mirror somewhere which also required real money. Xd
    /s

Alternative ly it could be a rogue like game. With players starting in different regions. And there being mini tournament arcs for advancing a realm. (Several in one region) That would limit the amount of advancement. But Im not sure if it would be that fun in-game.

Higher realm players helping lower realm players is also problematic. As it could concentrate too much the monopoly of power and many players would rpobably dislike it. However it would be very xianxianesque.

I would limit it to golden core so there would be three 'advancement tournaments'. With golden core tournament winners 'winning the game' and having thier names recorded as immortals.

Would you guys play this or would it be too frustrating? (The second part the first was a joke)

I can see some competitive players liking it. And would try to make the combat skill dependant too. But I don't know if it would garner a huge playerbase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.