Am i missing something here?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ZXu2002, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monrai

Monrai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone said above The earth is online is really good too,this is more plot driven than others yaoi or shonen ai novels. I really liked it, so can't recommend it enough!

2. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard it's something about bias of yaoi readers, they rate every yaoi novel 5 stars, while those who hate yaoi or don't want to read it won't even check it out and thus not rate it.

GDLiZy likes this.
  3. shinobimike22

shinobimike22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yaoism is soaring like an eunuch eagle now a days. "Breaking Chrysanthemum with a Banana" and "Toad who wants to eat a fellow toad" are now the new norm. Apparently.

4. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    you are not entirely right. It's always rated 1* when something new is released, esp when its shounen ai or yaoi. And then comes the follow ups..... which is sorta disappointing, cuz they didnt read it yet but just rate it 5* for the heck of it cuz needs to negate the 1*.... and + translator review...... which is totally no go. Then there comes the ones who truly actually write a decent review. And then I'm one of the rest who are too lazy to vote or just gave up cuz of the reviews... being like that

CawCawBird and mir like this.
  5. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    That's so accurate. That's what I feel too

6. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's very vocal minority that will upvote if there's any yaoi action. That's just how it is.
    Also I have much more issues with Japanese novels than Chinese and Korean. That's also a factor. I think people had enaugh of OP beta males with harems of lolis.

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing that you're missing is that numeric ratings are meaningless, and there are a ton of overinflated books out there. A lot of BL titles are rated highly but it has nothing to do with their quality. There are going to be some good ones out there, but the majority are going to be terrible, so caveat emptor!

8. Hanten

Hanten Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Lord of the enigma
    like H.P Lovecraft stories, but Mc is running circus

9. Hanten

Hanten Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't trust reviews, I have seen yaoi story about shota x demons like dragons and orges ,even wolfs and slime, and he lay eggs ,
    Most of reviews are 5 stars

10. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I look at the numeric ratings because at least for the Chinese ones, it feels like if the writing quality is crap the rating also generally falls down a lot. I’m complaining about the abundance of yaoi because those are some of the few novels where I can’t really trust the ratings.

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say that the very opposite is true. When it comes to Japanese webnovels, a lot of junk gets high ratings, but what's popular there tends to be popular on NU as well so the novels that are good get highly rated as well.

It's different with Chinese books in that what's popular there might be barely known on NU. As a result, a ton of good Chinese novels will have more modest ratings while a bunch of mediocre titles rise to the top. BL novels only exacerbate the problem; they do not encompass the totality of it. The moral of the story is don't trust the ratings at all because they're junk.

12. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiya, the metric you should look at is the number of readers. Go to series finder, click on the "horror" genre, then scroll down. The bottom is "sort by." Pick "readers" and "descending." (y)

13. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the other novels are in paid site like Qidian (webnovel) so they are just not updated in here?

Also I like BL so I'm biased and totally rec them. Due to the ban in China they are not smutty and very censored so you wont get overly traumatised.

14. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Be it BL/GL, never read a story that has a nagging Flat-Earth and SJW mother-in-law that lives in a van down by the river with Seymour, a Chris Walken-sounding and silent film-watching vegan cannibal zombie moose!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.