Discussion Why do human needs shower/bathe?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by prongsjiisan, Sep 3, 2019.

1. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    you don't need to shower everyday or bathe everyday, but if you sweat then it's a positive choice that you should do so you don't smell.
    and if you don't smell then the next reason why you should bathe or shower is to prevent build up of bacteria/fungus and other unhealthy activities from building up on your hair skin and nails.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  2. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    what the fuck man.

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shove 'em into a puddle of mud or pour a can of soda over their head and ask if they want to clean themselves off afterwards.

AMissingLinguist and Kuro_0ni like this.
  4. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take them to animecon or smash tournament and tell them that's how they will smell without shower/bath.
    This serves three purposes, you will answer them in a comprehensive manner. You will corrupt them to become ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US. The last one is a secret but you will figure it out.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  5. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    I shower once or twice every day, but I only wash up every other day(depending on how hot it's been). I do it to wake up for work or get ready for sleep. mostly though I have a bit of OCD about my hands and about body odor thanks impart to the area I used to live in and my own younger brother.

first off, the area I used to live in, while not rife with them, had a good amount of homeless people. and it was only the worst of them but they smelled pretty bad, which left an impression on my young mind back then.

then while growing up my younger brother was/is the type to wear the same clothes day in and day out, not properly bathe(I mean for like weeks) and not wear undergarments (which help drastically with reducing how much of your sweat and B.O soak into those clothes he would wear for far too long.) he has bad foot odor but would refuse to wear socks with his shoes and he would refuse to use any kind of foot powder or spray. more often than not he would smell worse than any homeless I came across.

this gave me a kinda complex about my hygiene and bodily smells, so I probably shower more than needed and do a full wash-up of my clothes quite frequently.

whats more the smell you put off can harm you in society. any time I hear from him, my brother has trouble getting or keeping jobs because of his smell(and lack of hygiene to this day) no matter how often I tell him, in the nicest way possible, it's because of his body odor, he lashes out saying he doesn't smell bad. you become blind to your own smell when you are surrounded by stank all the time.

6. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Most? So not all..? :hmm:

7. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Bathing every day actually doesn't make you any less susceptible to bacterial or viral infections. Also the bubonic plague was mainly due to rodent infestations and lack of proper waste disposal. Bathing is primarily for looks and removing bad odors, your natural oils protect you better from bacteria and viruses than bathing does. The only health benefits are that it prevents build up on your skin that may harbor bacteria and viruses and you won't have to worry about getting knocked out and wake up being sprayed by a water hose...

Mostly bathing is good, what you should avoid is using hand sanitizers with frequency and industrial cleaners in your home.

8. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You shower/bathe to wash away all the liquid fear that leaks out from your skin. :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Otherwise, they'll smell you miles away. :blobcat_hyper::blobdog:

Stay clean or stay dead! :blobowoevil_horns:

Good luck and hope you live! :blobokhand:

prongsjiisan likes this.
  9. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    i dun mind wit the smell of my body, but the stickyness is so uncomfortable. also often got attacked by swarm of mosquitos.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  10. NamGi

NamGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It reduces the chance of getting diseases? (´⊙ω⊙`)!
    Epic! I should just stop taking baths from now on hoping that I get killed! (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

prongsjiisan likes this.
  11. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Kiskaiya likes this.
  12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    That study was unreliable, because it was based on only one circumstantial evidence, where a bunch of researchers found a tribe in Amazon forest who developed positive bacteria that killed bad bacteria from not bathing for years. The research said nothing about their smell. Another 'research' paid by perfume companies made another 'study' using this finding and stating that you shouldn't bathe everyday because it would strip you of your keratin. And now since there's two 'studies' that corroborated each other, anti-bathers went to town with it. Nevermind that the studies have been way too recent and there has not been any counterstudy made to poke holes into the theory.

Now imagine who'd make a lot of money from a lot of people not bathing and carrying their odour around?

As you live, your skin accumulates a layer of keratin and sebum. This keratin is similar to the shells or scales on some organism. The keratin provides a tough layer of skin that prevents the dermis from being damaged from scratches while also preventing bacterias from entering your cells from the outside. Sebum is basically skin oil. Its purpose is to keep your skin moist and prevent water from the outside from entering your cells.

The problems are that our bodies create way too much sebum, which we don't need and while these sebum are odourless, when bacterias break down these sebum, they release really bad smell. Also, too much sebum can cause blockage. So when normal bacterias that are too happy to live on your skin gets trapped behind this sebum plugs, it creates an environment that makes these bacterias thrive and grow exponentially. That's why you get acne and pimples. Body soap binds with the sebum, allowing water to wash it away. Most of the time you do not need to worry about skin drying, because your body can regenerate the sebum in just a couple of hours, though there are some soaps that cause skin to dry, which is when you use moisturizers.

Keratin is the outer layer of the skin. It is also the building block of your hair and nails. It is harder compared to the rest of your skin structure and forms a sanitizing armour on top of your dermis. The problem with keratin is, your body never stops producing it, and it by itself is smelly. As it never stops producing itself, the keratin layer builds up, and the flakes provide hiding places for bacterias that do not get washed away. So you have to scrub your skin to break these excess keratin flakes before your soap can wash away the bacteria. While having keratin is good for your health as it protects you from germs, having too much keratin is not good as if gives safe refuge for those same germs.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  13. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Bolame it on the gemaphobic people.

They made such a fuss that being dirty makes them sick and what not that it was better to just clean up.

However, even after that, they still make a racket, albeit not as much

prongsjiisan likes this.
  14. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    So the conclusion is shower/bathe is good thing yes? And feels good. And lewd.

ebonykun likes this.
  15. ebonykun

ebonykun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because stink and b.o. is bad and makes people barf.
    science-sy stuff aside, it's also social obligation. please take regular showers and use deodorant when going out.

and because spongebob will never not be relevant

16. Ketheres

Ketheres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some fish can survive on land for periods of time, during which they are not bathing. Well, except for a mud bath, maybe.

17. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    This is not so much a why, but rather a story from a classmate of mine from middle school.

My classmate's family wasn't financially stable and couldn't always pay for their water bill. So to reduce expenses, they would forego what they believed was a waste of water.

So at his home my classmate would probably bath twice a week, if they could afford it. Which was usually Sundays & Mondays, Church and the starting day of school for the week. Its not like he didn't shower during the week, we usually had Physical Education every other day, like Tuesday & Thursday one week and Monday, Wednesday & Friday, the next week, it would alternate like that.

He was a nice kid, had dreams and stuff, but once I got into High School, never saw the guy again, maybe went to a different School, if anything I hope the guys doing alright.

-------But back to the bathing thing, some people just can't bathe on a regular basis.

Saitama.sensei likes this.
  18. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Scientific answer: removing germ, bactery, dirt, and dust after we had been contacting the outside environment, even just for a moment.
    My answer: I like playing water.