Discussion Online Relationship?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SummerForest, Sep 4, 2019.

1. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    Never meet? Is your love not strong enough to abandon everything and went to your lover? Can you still can that love or isn't just close friendship?

I'm firm believer of virtual relationships = real life relationships but love desires more than text chat and voice call. Both side should work toward the goal of meet together.

Osamaru and AliceShiki like this.
  2. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not easy to migrate. In some cases, it's impossible.
    It's not easy to change religion and customs. In the long run it creates a certain pressure that destroys love.

Lurking and Femme Fatale like this.
  3. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    Not being able to meet is already a pressure that can destroy love.

Lurking, Femme Fatale and AliceShiki like this.
  4. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why this type of relationship is so difficult. It's very fragile both ways.
    But some people like to nurture fragile things more.

5. Suton

Suton Two can keep a secret ᴵᶠ ᵒⁿᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰᵉᵐ ᶦˢ ᵈᵉᵃᵈ.

Reading List:
    Link
    Online anything is a recipe for disaster °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Clars and orematcha like this.
  6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Total bs, unless you're asexual or something. We need physical contact, you can't fully get to know a person online, you can't rely on a person online helping you with anything other than advice, you can't hug a person online. Far from the eyes, far from the hearst, you'll lose interest soon enough and no video calls don't count. Plenty of people with real relationships have broken up when they were seperated due to work even with video calls.

Lurking, Femme Fatale and Suton like this.
  7. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    In another situation physical barriers may become normal as lovers may never be able to meet physically. When technology advances to the point where the physical and virtual plane connect. Similar to the movie "Surrogates" or Virtual reality dives. The point in which technology links the physical senses of the body to the virtual avatar.

On a different note, the 2013 film "Her" is about a guy that falls in love with his Artificial Intelligence OS.

-----------
    As a counter for people that believe online relationships are doomed to fail. The thing about online/virtual relationships, is really what you want to get out of it.

Granted there aren't that many documented successes out of it. But on the real, virtual/ online relationships do save lives. In the sense of easing peoples loneliness, and countering depression for others.

Online relationships aren't just for love, there people who are in platonic relationships, and other kinds of stuff. (But to delve into all these kinds of relationships would lead to another rabbit hole)

8. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with friendship or close friendship. It's just pure love makes me hard to believe they are fine with that distance.

AliceShiki and Kuro_0ni like this.
  9. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    It's tough, I admit. But if a person already knows the damage this REAL world can cause to love, then they will try to keep it safe from this reality.
    This is a very special situation and I hope no one has to face it haha

Clars likes this.
  10. SpearOfLies

Reading List:
    Link
    *patpat*

SummerForest likes this.
  11. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    *gets patted*
    It's always difficult to accept that reality can break your heart as well...

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't believe a relationship that will forever stay distant is a dream, it's a nightmare.

I'm fine with LDRs, but they're not my dream, they'd be part of the plan to one day move close together. I don't wanna grow up and adopt a child to be a single mother in a forever-distant relationship while taking care of my child all by myself, I want my partner there to be together with me and help me out through the hard times and enjoy the good times together with me.

Being able to talk a bit every day and enjoy sharing the wonderful parts of my life and seeking help in the tough parts is nice... But it's much better when they're right there next to me, living through it and helping me go through it as each thing happens.

Relationships require a lot of emotional and time investment... I'm fine with that, but I wish that those investments bear fruits and give birth to a marriage, I won't have that if we don't ever get together.

Kuro_0ni, Lurking, Bielt and 3 others like this.
  13. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    In a developing country like mine there are couples who are forced to stay apart due to their careers. There are wives who have to stay away from their husbands and raise the kids on their own. Still, the marriage sustains.

Lurking, Bielt and Osamaru like this.
  14. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, coz u can never really know a person online
    As for me, as much as I feel like I can understand where a lot of peeps come from here, I just can’t feel an ounce of romance for someone on NUF lol

15. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    t
    For what its worth, here's my take on the matter. It would depend on several factors, I'd think.

1) First and foremost, the question would be; Are you (or they) already, or do you ever plan on getting in a real life relationship? In that case, the answer would be a resounding No. It would be best to just keep the online relationship as Platonic. This kind of thing introduces Waaaaaaay to many problems than its worth.

2): How long have you known them. While its not an Absolute by any means, Online Relationships (both romantic and friendships) tend to both come and go very quickly. Its not a matter of them being any less "Real" than real life relationships (for example, I concider all of my online friends as rl friends), but rather simply Human nature and the nature of the internet don't mesh well, and unless you're doing something like weekly facetimes or something, its easy to dift away.

3): WHAT do you actually want from the relationship. If it its a case of "there is zero possibility that you will ever settle irl" then you have to start to wonder if what you want is ACTUALLY a relationship, or if you just want companionship. A genuine relationship is going to overcome distance and minor details like that in the end, because its what both parties want. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with just being lonely and wanting companionship, but its important to identify that from the start. Otherwise you'll just end up disappointed that you're not getting what you want, and when the time comes that you DO leave, then it'll be in tears, rather than with smiles.

Lurking, AliceShiki, yuzuki and 3 others like this.
  16. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    XD then again, I'm 28 and never even dated before, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Lurking and SummerForest like this.
  17. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    When you talk with someone continuously for months, day in and day out, share your worries and joys, share everything about your irl lives, care deeply for each other, can tell the mood of each other, stay awake waiting for the other person to come online and tell you that they are okay, not feel jealous or frustrated that they have an irl existence in a different world, finding and admitting that the bond you share is way deeper than friendship, what will you say? Is it not love?
    Still, I believe one should choose to marry someone who is compatible irl. No one should sacrifice too much in marriage, or it becomes a liability. Like I'm against hurting the parents' feelings or converting to a different religion.

Kuro_0ni, Haerether and Osamaru like this.
  18. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I could ever last like that. I'd need the physical along with the mental. I'd want to be able to cuddle with them after a long day, lay in their arms as I have a morning cup of tea, spoon at night. All the nice stuff that comes with being in a relationship.

Lurking likes this.
  19. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do that virtually, too.
    Not talking about using webcams, though.

20. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    Really not the same as feeling someone's arms wrapped around you, though

Lurking likes this.