Discussion about the webnovel 'worm'

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Return, Aug 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read about 15 volumes of Worms. Then I just couldn't keep going. So I am totally biased. Other people loved the hell out of it and praised it like it's the best thing since machine sliced bread.

It's a little bit about an anti-hero... but anti-hero doesn't mean that she "does the wrong things for the right reasons", like the author kinda wants to sell it to you, but that she does "the right things, a little wrong, gets caught up in a misunderstanding to make her the villain"-kind of thing. The author basically bends his own world to misunderstand everything and make clearing a misunderstanding impossible...

It's the typical: the good are the bad, the bad are the good... Then the superhobos get introduced, who enjoy some kind of "no killing or real harm allowed-benefit, while the heroes act like bi-polar psychos acts out against the "villain-in-names".

One could say that it's a strenght of it, that the world is not black and white, but grey.... but tbh. for me it felt like black and white with an author who just didn't like the MC.

The MC is a wuss. A real pussy.... Most of the time... Sometimes she kinda developes as a character, faces her demons and seems to grow as a person... just to regress in a wussy edgy-white-knight-nobody-understands-me-i-do-the-right-thing-can't-kill-the-murder-hobos-that-slaughtered-a-whole-city-way.

It was a very frustrating read for me. Especially because other people praised it so much and I thought it gets good soon... Because most of the time it is very, very close to being great.... just for it to disappoint me...

I don't want to know how much time I wasted on this novel. But it was a lot... It's good that I landed on a worms-spoiler-reddit that totally destroyed any last hope I still had to ever enjoy it.

Oh well... but you could like it. Many people seem to like it... It's almost like a weird cult.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  2. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    i have read it to chapter 84
    and waiting for more

3. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    dude i was asking just in case i end up wasting time and that's what made me leave second coming of gluttony because people worship it as cult and if everyone worship this as cult then i am out

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Try strategy games like Civilization or Football Manager

5. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    i hate this genre strategy because i have to use my brain and that sucks i want to relax while gaming right now i am playing all single player games from 2009 to 2016

6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't like them either at first but I wish you all the best.
    You can try playing adaptations of your favorite novels or anime

7. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Go read classic science fiction...my goto when I get annoyed with my current reading.

Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke.

Cordwainer Smith, H Beam Piper, Schmidt. :D

8. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems good I will try

userunfriendly likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha very true. Second coming of Avarice I found average and it feels like your run of the mill Shonen anime. Tsunderes left and right just made me drop it immediately. I was expecting Seinen.

drollawake likes this.
  10. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    In the end I end up play games and wasting my college vacation

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not get an internship? It looks great for your resume.... Maybe at an eSports startup :blobowoevil_horns:

12. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    when you have to score 4 gpa to get nah i am good with 3.2 gpa

13. Brungles

Brungles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean she literally joins a gang within just a few chapters. It's pretty depressing with a theme of power corrupting and governing bodies being incompetent or no better than the gangs they attempt to control and fight along with a main character that compartmentalizes and justifies all of her villainous actions. Very interesting to read and analyze what Taylor is feeling about different situations and what is actually going on. I wouldn't recommend Ward though, just finish the series and be done with it.

14. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    It's overblown, Worm's not that good. I mean it's okay and better than most stuff on NU but...
    MC is annoying at start at least, gets power but still continues to be bullied.

Fanfics are better, in Any Means Necessary MC is an actual vilain.

15. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    i read until she gone to a date with the dude then i got bored and fed up with her and stopped reading in general

Jojo775 likes this.
  16. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want better western web novels, try Mother of Learning or Zombie Knight. My list of fics is also pretty damn good
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/9071421/

17. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    i read mother of learning until 97 then i got busy so i hadnt checked on it yet and the zombie knight seems funny but hey i hate the hero save lives thingy and love jojo

18. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm well I would say to you then check for anti-hero tags, but there's so much there and most of those are pretty normal heroes with thin disguise. Try reading dark/grim fiction, there basically can't be everybody lives happily ever after ending.
    Maybe you'd like A Discordant Note - Harry Potter/Game of Thrones crossover. It's a sequel of For Love of Magic which you don't have to read, though it's also great. Harry is almost a god so he cares little for mortals. He's not a hero nor vilain. He's not OP enough to roflstomp everyone though(well mortals yes, other gods and the Others no), besides it's more kingdom building.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.