Discussion No variety in hero/super power entertainment

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jojo775, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you think it's strange there are no popular works besides the DC and Marvel and Worm?
    Why isn't there some series of novels, comics, games where there are powers/&heroes but in a different way? Something to continually build on, not a one shot anime.
    How 'bout a world where powers/magic is common, yet it's not medieval, why isn't there anything popular like that?
    Super Powereds is lame, MHA is shonen trash so those are out of the way.

Edit: you can recommend but this is not an recommendation thread, it's about why aren't other works so popular they get movies and fanfiction, why is it just limited to those few?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. Alundric

Alundric Member of Gentleman Alliance

Reading List:
    Link
    How bout toukusatsu...
    Such as polymar, or kamen rider the series.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  3. Valex

Valex Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you want anime super heroes or western super heroes. Cause if you want western i suggest you read invinceble

Bloodysin28 and FranckOA like this.
  4. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's only lately though, to be honest it does all seem to blur into the same thing after awhile. It's at the point I'm not even interested in watching the movies, unless there is nothing else on regular TV to watch, or even to have on for just noise.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there is but not as famous/successful for example
    Malibu: Ultraforce

Todd McFarlane: Spawn (there was a movie of it in 1997 and there will be another in 2020 albeit I am not sure)

6. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Because in the realm of superpower, anything out of the ordinary is a superpower. Then there is the problem with power lottery, you can get power to create a fucking sun, be a flying brick or get the power to control rats or glow in the dark. How to fucking write an OP MC? Give it depth or a more OP opponent? Power creep? How to write an underdog?

7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude. MHA is awesome. Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean it’s okay to diss it like that.

false likes this.
  8. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm dissing it because at best it's an average shonen, if you aren't a teen or immature you won't like it.

9. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read Invincible ( by Image ) . This is for OP too. It is one of the most well thought out and well written comics about superhero and the MC is very relatable . I have read the whole series three times already and I never get tired of it . A beautiful rendition of what it means to be a superhero , it has about 160 something issues. Read it and u will find how to do an OP MC in comics Right

FranckOA likes this.
  10. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it's really good and at this moment it's completed, be carefull tho it can get quite gory and heroing has consequences in invincible universe, and some characters stay dead when they die (quite uncommon in american caped heroes stories).

There is quite a lot of other great and original stuff if you search for other super heroes comics published by indies (not Marvel or DC) labels...

11. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    What about Onepunch man? do you not like it too?

Anra7777 likes this.
  12. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    You want weird powers in a modern setting? Try Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz series of Young Adult novels. His heroes have the superpowers of: breaking things, being late, getting lost, being bad at math, and speaking unintelligible gibberish.

13. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    One Punch!!!!!!!!!

he can't fly. . . .

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Onepunch man is awesome and it's not a shonen. Look I'm 27 so I've outgrown shonens, but I could still watch the great ones like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach coz they're that good. Okay MHA is not a great, that's unfair to compare it to them, let's take another average shonen then. Blue Exorcist, it had potential, it's not great but it's okay, I could still watch it. MHA? Never.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always watch Powers.
    Sadly, the gore is excess and gratuitous.
    I know it's trying to be edgy and cool but that's why they never get popular like Superman.

16. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Just watch the boys tv show on Amazon prime,it's a gritty realistic mature approach where nigh invincible superheroes would be secret massive pricks done right.

17. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because Americans are living in an olygopoly society.

Just think about it... If you're successful enough, youd be bought by a bigger company.

Jojo775 likes this.
  18. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We get it, you dislike/hate Boku no Hero Academia. No need to be contradictory about the whole subject, where you deemed it trash yet also stated it's average at best. Wait, do you mean it as a manga or anime?

Bleach definitely went wayward with final arc progress, Naruto's plot twist villain ruined the build up, and One Piece will likely never finish. I'm not saying these manga suck, they're definitely great stories, but they too have their faults. And Boku no Hero Academia isn't suppose to be like Bleach's grudge, Naruto's philosophy, or One Piece's journey. It's a Japan superpower manga with heavy Western influence, plus, it's relatively younger compared to these legendary manga.

Ao no Exorcist is awesome, manga-wise. The anime first season's second-half was trash. Clearly, I'm being bias here, because I like supernatural themed stories, especially with religious contexts. If you read the latest chapters, the plot dives deeper to how it all began.

19. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Legion of Nothing is a superhero work. Artisan had a lot of potential before it got dropped too.

20. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree on Ao no Exorcist ,I also agree that mha is overrated, it mainly got popular due to superhero hype from the mcu,but it's not trash, a bit above average compared to seasonal/generic isekai trash anime, basically he wants more mature higher quality series from the superpower genre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.