Emotional Anime Series/Anime Movies You would Recommend

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Ruyue, Jun 21, 2019.

?

Do You Like Emotional Roller coasters?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haibane Renmei

ebonykun, Andro and userunfriendly like this.
  2. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    kenar likes this.
  3. Yumelien

Yumelien Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wolf Children (Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki)
    [​IMG]
    Wolf Children is a staggeringly beautiful animated feature film from director Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars). This epic cinematic achievement follows Hana, a woman who falls in love with a Wolf Man and gives birth to two half human, half wolf children. (Summary from Metacritic)

4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Coppelion.

"In 2016, a meltdown of a nuclear power plant creates a big catastrophe in Tokyo. 20 years later, the city has become a ghost town due to the high levels of radiation. From that area a distress signal is received. The Self Defense forces dispatch three girls from the special unit Coppelion to search for survivors. But why aren't they wearing any protection against radiation?"

It's a very insightful and emotional work on several topics, including cloning, psychology and institutional/political incompetence and corner-cutting.

Here's the best trailer i could find (it's in german because all the eng trailers suck):

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  5. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Angel Beats.:cry:
    God knows I hate all those who participated in making an anime to make a grown man cry.
    And just when I thought I was free, I somehow ended up seeing Clannad!:blobdizzy:
    There is a reason why those two are ranked as must-see anime.

6. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
  7. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not an anime but a manga.
    https://myanimelist.net/manga/4632/Oyasumi_Punpun

8. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Eating the “rice balls” the sister made...

:cry::cry::cry:

The last episode, where we see the MC just start cleaning and looking after the new kids...:cry:

Last scene, when she starts fading away...:blob_teary:

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. Andro

Andro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - Candy Candy
    - Aishiteru ze Baby
    - Air
    - Clannad
    - Ayashi no Ceres
    - Violet Evergarden
    - HAL - The Movie
    - Kotonoha no Niwa
    - Video Girl Ai
    - Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
    - Glass no Kamen
    - Haibane Renmei
    - Hana Yori Dango
    - Loveless
    - Mahou Tsukai no Yome
    - Onii-sama e...
    - Omoide no Marnie (movie)
    - Plastic Memories
    - Princess Tutu
    - Romeo X Juliet
    - Sayonora no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou (movie)
    - Sennen Joyuu (movie)
    - Shoujo Kakumei Utena
    - Shoukoujo Sara
    - Wolf's Rain
    - Yakusoku no Neverland

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  10. Siostar

Siostar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if those counts?

Magical Madoka
    One night, Madoka has a terrible nightmare – against the backdrop of a desolate landscape, she watches a magical girl battle a terrifying creature, and lose. The next day, the teen's dream becomes reality when the girl – Homura – arrives at Mitakihara Middle School as a transfer student, mysteriously warning Madoka to stay just the way she is. But when she and her best friend Miki are pulled into a twisted illusion world and meet a magical creature named Kyubey, the pair discovers that magical girls are real, and what's more, they can choose to become one. All they must do is sign a contract with Kyubey and agree to fight witches that spread despair to the human world, and in return they will be granted a single wish. However, as Homura's omen suggests, there's far more to becoming a magical girl than Madoka and Miki realize...

Re: Zero
    Natsuki Subaru, an ordinary high school student, is on his way home from the convenience store when he finds himself transported to another world. As he's lost and confused in a new world where he doesn't even know left from right, the only person to reach out to him was a beautiful girl with silver hair. Determined to repay her somehow for saving him from his own despair, Subaru agrees to help the girl find something she's looking for...

11. ebonykun

ebonykun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh god this manga
    its an emotional rollercoaster, but the kind that makes you look into the void. no ugly tears from sadness, just the horror of how low of a point your life can get.

shuzo oshimi's stuff fall in the line too. the guy who made aku no hana (flowers of evil). try his other work, chi no wada (a trail of blood). it's about a boy overprotected by his mother, who has a lot of issues weighing on her. it's very subtle, but she is repressed and forced to submit for her family and the people around her to protect the image of a normal family. her situation is reminiscent of mothers and females in Asian households; how you are forced to bear everything with a smile. in her case, she cracks. very interesting.

haibane renmei! very soothing and seemingly fantastical -- it has angels! -- but at the same time the issues of friendship, loss and yearning it deals with feel incredibly genuine and relatable.

fruits basket. i'm not sure about the current anime. the older anime (2000 something) was preferable to me. but i heard good reviews about the new reboot, so try watch it? the show deals with themes of family, love, and acceptance. it's sweet, moving, and also sad. it's about people forced to abide certain circumstances, and learn to hold on to hope and move forward. endearing characters, sweet story. i didn't like how it ended in the manga, though.

Thecomicgeek likes this.
  12. Lunaix

Lunaix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though I haven’t personally seen it, I’ve seen clips that just make me BAWL.
    Violet Evergarden. Some say that the story starts off too slow, but that’s something that you have to experience to enjoy the whole ride, the entire package.
    A few background details about the book (taken from Wikipedia, is true, done research, if you count research as watching an incredibly long YouTube video all about the series):
    Description
    Violet Evergarden is a Japanese light novel series written by Kana Akatsuki and illustrated by Akiko Takase. It won the grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014, the first ever work to ever win a grand prize in any of the three categories. Wikipedia.
    Synopsis
    The story revolves around Auto Memory Dolls (自動手記人形 Jidō Shuki Ningyō): people initially employed by a scientist named Dr. Orland to assist his blind wife Mollie in writing her novels, and later hired by other people who needed their services. In the present time, the term refers to the industry of writing for others. The story follows Violet Evergarden's journey of reintegrating back into society after the war is over and her search for her life's purpose now that she is no longer a soldier in order to understand the last words her major, Gilbert, had told her: "I love you." Wikipedia.

All taken from Wikipedia since I’m too lazy.

Also, some other detail left out by the Wikipedia synopsis is that Violet was originally a war tool. She was trained by someone to only respond to the command “Kill,” so it was also the only word that she knew. She was taken under the wing of Major Gilbert and named Violet since she was only a child and he taught her words and the such.

And then he was mortally wounded, and he told her some words (“I love you,” as stated above) so she set out and became an Auto Memories Doll to try to understand emotions. All the while having a prosthetic arm since her other arm was riddled with so many bullets it was useless or something. Her last name, Evergarden, is actually the last name of an old lady (I think?) that adopted her or something like that.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  13. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Code Geass is also a sad emotional one... by the end of the story you'll feel like youre at the end of rollercoaster rail and suddenly fall dead from the highest point

14. jessica88

jessica88 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kuzu no honkai (scum's wish)

15. Ramon54xg

Ramon54xg Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that this post is a little old but I wanted to say some that I didn't see anyone talking about:

* 5 centimeters (this is a movie and it's pretty sad)
    * Steins gate (this is one of my favorite animes)
    * Air
    * Gokukoku no Brynhildr (this is also one of my favorite animes)
    * Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    * Angel beats (I know that some have already said it, but it also is one of my favorite animes)
    * Elfen Lied
    * Akame ga Kill (this isn't sad, it's pretty much the author torturing the reader)
    * Kokoro Connect (also one of my favorite animes)
    * Charlotte (someone has already said it but also one of my favorite)

lol I was searching of my list to find some to recommend you and I just noticed that almost all of my favorite animes are the kinda that makes you cry, maybe I am a masochist or something? haha

16. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuki Yuna

17. CrazyStuff

CrazyStuff New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clannad a very emotional anime to watch