Recommendations Why is BL so damn popular here?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by silentKitten, Aug 29, 2019.

1. jessica88

jessica88 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading 19 days. It's hilarious and no smut or anything.
    Just cute fluff between guys.

Chenqing likes this.
  2. minanie

minanie Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hm do you perhaps look for a story that isn't focused on it?
    Because the shounen ai genre is great as in there's no sex but if what you're looking for is a more natural relation then you should go read webtoons. ( because no offense but the shounen ai stories are - or at least the ones that stand out the most- mostly only making one of the two male characters like a stereotyped version of a girl from a japanese or korean pov: quiet, timid, clumsy, naive etc when irl it's just two normal dudes)

I have an example in mind , Hooky, which has a bit of LGBTQ+ but isn't focused on that. Nevertheless the relation of those characters is exactly what you're looking for, pure and cute, normal. ( It has 200+ chapters though, but the story is really great and the art stunning! but you'll have to wait quite a bit before seeing the characters i'm talking about...it's a good read go for it!!)

Stories more focused on the relation would be Heir's game or Castle swimmer for example ( which fill in the criterias of shounen ai, so one of the two is kinda stereotyped in the beginning but you'll find yourself wanting the characters to be together in no time! and the plots are original and have even plot twists and all to make you happy)

this kinda turned in a encouragement to read webtoons.. anyway if you're interested in either one of these, glad I could help!!

3. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    becus girls.....

4. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't you read? This is "I'm looking for forum" not "Novel General"

5. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    W-wait! That was shounen ai? I'm on the latest chapter but I never saw a shounen ai tag, though...

6. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more apparent in the manhua.

7. Negiomi

Reading List:
    Link
    I did read the manhua... I didn't notice it at all...

8. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    While it wasn't any butt stuff going on, the middle martial brother (white hair) had feelings for the senior brother (transmigrator version). He hated the cold blooded version though. At least, that was how I saw it (junior sister liked someone too and it was some sort of triangle).
    Edit: Here is the NU link that shows the shounen ai tag, along with the green haired senior brother that was definitely swinging that way for the blonde junior brother.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/theres-a-pit-in-my-senior-martial-brothers-brain/

9. Negiomi

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Thought was inferiority complex, since the middle martial brother liked junior sister, and eldest martial brother was a clownish person that really cared for those around him...Did feel the green peacock and golden retriever(I had forgotten their names) were more in the shounen ai genre, though...

10. sleepchaser

sleepchaser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, shamelessly self-advertising here (; You should read the BL novel I'm translating, "Fei Pin Ying Qian." Set in ancient China with no magic, no quick wear, no interstellar. MC enters ML's household (ML is a prince) as part of his sister's dowry. There's harem intrigue, war, angst, and of course, romance. The romance slowly builds, so there's no romping in the sheets in the first few chapters. I would say both MC and ML are interested in each other at first sight, but the interest is hidden under some layers. MC is also a type of character that's impossible to hate.

Also, the novel isn't very sexual, and the few scenes that can be considered that are fade to black. So it's perfect for someone just starting out in reading BL. Nothing scary here folks.

And this novel is only 76 pages, so no long dragging plotlines.

Welcome to the world of BL, comrade ahahaa

11. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since the mass seems to like BL, there gotta be some appeal to it. Those who dislike BL just haven't figured it out.

For me, when I read BG, it's usually the guy who saves the girl, even when the girl is supposed to be the strong female character. They also tend to go into girly stuff like hair, makeup, shoes, dresses, perfume, etc., and no I'm not interested in those. When I read BG manga, the girls also have these unrealistic boobs, randomly take off their clothes/get their clothes ripped off, or there're just random bathing scenes, etc. Do most women enjoy seeing big boobs and other women taking off their clothes? Nope, sir.

There're so many fujoshis because the alternative to BG is just better. In BL, the men are always hot and you pretty much have 2 people on equal ground. Even when it's ABO, characters are also capable. Equality in relationship and hot men in the reading materials. A lot of women naturally like it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Japorea and Lunica like this.