Discussion Plot holes

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MillenniumMoon, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've noticed that whenever I read Chinese Isekai or Interstellar/futuristic settings there are plot holes.

Especially the language, for example: The Chinese MC was sent into another world where the language is alien and nowhere near the languages of Earth but after 2 years the MC can understand the language (but not fluently) suddenly the names of the aliens are Chinese (Yun Sheng, Qing etc) and even the names of places are Chinese, I was weirded out. :blobconfused:

It happens in Interstellar/futuristic settings as well, all humans suddenly have Chinese names and the aliens have Western names without any explanations to why, like are the Chinese all that is left of the human race or something? :blobdizzy:

2. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe there is a term for this[​IMG]

Dr_H_16, Jojo775 and MillenniumMoon like this.
  3. Ichigoeater

Ichigoeater Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clearly, the Chinese are the only actual humans in those cases, and westerners are, in fact, aliens, and have been all along. When we branch out to interstellar travel, our true origins shall be revealed.

4. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    I for one am glad to be an Alien, can`t wait to go back to my alien catgirl !!!

flannan likes this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those novels r from China, written by Chinese authors for consumption by a primarily Chinese audience, and regulated by Chinese censors. Considering how insular the Chinese govt is, do u really find it strange that anything Western is alien and (by extension) hostile?

6. Pierrot

Pierrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine there's a disease that's spreading through the world and everyone, no matter age, gender, health, has the same chance of dying. Guess which country will have the most survivors by the end? Probably China. These people are as strong as cockroaches.

However, the Westerners will also have survived--because they moved into space. Over time, the Westerners became aliens.

This is the shenanigan origin story of why all humans have Chinese names and all aliens have Western names.

If you want the truth, though, it's this: the writers are just too lazy to close the loopholes.

7. Wandering Cultivator

Wandering Cultivator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always thought it was because its harder to use made up names in CN, Japanese has hiragana so it can do it, but CN can't do that. So the author will either say f it and go with CN names or approximate foreign sounding names in CN that after getting translated looks like normal CN to English-speaking audiences.

flannan and Diametric like this.
  8. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    You know in "The Wandering Earth Project" everyone spoke their native tongue. The Russians spoke Russian, the French spoke French, The Filipinos spoke Tagalog, almost all ethnic groups spoke their native tongues.

And everyone could understand each other. Well according to the story. So maybe there was an automagic translation thing going on.

flannan likes this.
  9. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    its a "plot hole" that probably only a couple ppl care and it makes things easier for author,audience and the china censors
    and like otaku said its was made for chinese people and for them (probably) name like xin yao is less confusing and easier to remember than john smith
    convinience>irrelevant plot hole

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    otaku31 likes this.
  10. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well. . . that land also has al looooot of holes. . . .

11. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is for a similar reason to why English novels don't use letters from other languages in their sci-fi naming, like the Spanish rolling r's, or the Welsh 'll' sound in the back of the mouth, or the Chinese sounds we write with 'x' and 'q', or the african clicking sounds, etc.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    GDLiZy likes this.
  12. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres a big gapping hole in your logic.

Chinese novels don't have plots, they have multiple brain farts put together.

13. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese novels are just the constant story of the MC beating a bigger more arrogant young master with a minor degree in plot

justmehere likes this.
  14. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My sentiments exactly,

The plot is brain fart, how the mc is getting stronger is brain fart, the antagonist is brain fart.
    There are some gems that are well planned and written, issth, coiling dragon, cultivation chat group. Those novels has progress and intent in the plot. The rest of chinese novel has a concept in the beginning but they are all milking whatever juices they can come up with, killing our interest in the plot.

15. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Biggest plot hole: a nagging SJW and Flat-Earth mother-in-law who lives in a van down by the river with Seymour, a Chris Walken-sounding and silent film-watching vegan cannibal zombie moose.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  16. Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet 『Gomi Delivery Service』

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, the names suddenly changing like that is a bit much. A name is a name. How would understanding a language more suddenly change it. I understand if it's to show the MC's progress in all, but it think should have just been left as is.

17. Prion

Prion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are so many plot holes in so many stories. I became unable to watch series and movies with human actor, because those are the worst. So I hide into fantasy because in a fantasy world anything is possible.

18. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuk you dolphhin and fuk you whaaale!

19. Sonneillor

Sonneillor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer a thousand times to use Chinese names with which they are accustomed to misuse Western names and surnames. In several novels I have seen that they use a surname as a name and a name as a surname due to the author's ignorance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.