Picked Up The Duchess of the Attic

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by summer-162, May 20, 2019.

1. Luukia

Luukia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dammit this is so interestingggg ! I love misunderstanding trope! They're so bad and good at the same time! My guilty pleasure for sure!

Scapezz likes this.
  2. candycane_whack

candycane_whack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How was Opal treated? And what was the mistress like?

3. summer-162

summer-162 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well according to the novel she does end up with her childhood friend, however, I'm not sure which direction the webtoon will take, as for why she married him, it wasn't really her choice, her father married her before she turned 18 so therefor she had no say in the matter.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Scapezz, Alniyat, engengeng19 and 5 others like this.
  4. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I guess she was more of a guest in the house. the guy she married was more attentive to the other girl but IIRC they don't have a romantic relationship, just a platonic one.

Scapezz, Ceilo27 and bleedingliar24 like this.
  5. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I do too but something it gets more frustrating. Some people don't have the patience for these kinds of plot.

Alniyat and Kumo723 like this.
  6. KokoaKirkland

KokoaKirkland Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ¿Where I can read the novel?

7. Karionte

Karionte Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, auch..

8. Borahae

Borahae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a relief I skipped the drama

bleedingliar24 likes this.
  9. so-chintzy

so-chintzy One of the editors for Yukkuri Translation Service

Reading List:
    Link
    So it's revealed that the "angel" isn't even the mistress but just a girl that Hubert sees as a little sister (which is why he was so ANGRY when Opal mistook her for a mistress, but seriously wtf did he expect). Opal even dryly mentions that no sane legal wife would put up with a non-blood related girl buzzing around the husband with the support of the "ride or DIE for our OTP" servants & when Hubert has to remarry after the divorce, his fiancee is immediately like "get rid of her NOW".

Hubert goes to Opal for advice on how to deal with this "overly headstrong" fiancee, but Opal's just like "why should I care, we have no relations with each other -sips tea-"

Hubert: but we were married for 7 years.
    Opal: and now we're not. so again, why should I care about YOUR issues?

PRE-DIVORCE:
    So Opal exiles herself to the attic to keep away from the obnoxious household staff (& Hubert) only to find during her readings that there is serious embezzlement going on in the duchy's finances. Hubert, being a colossal naive entitled only child, wholeheartedly believed in his staff & didn't check ANYTHING they sent him.
    Turns out one of them has serious gambling issues - even when Opal brings this up to Hubert (with evidence), he's just like "you're an evil villainous whore, you probably made all that up to steal from my finances & take it over, how dare you accuse my loyal servant!!!"

Opal's just like "fuck this" & books it back to her parents' place, lays down what happened & they basically devise a simple plan to take over the duchy's finances in one blow so that Opal will now hold the power (since she can't divorce him - it'll just worsen her already horrible rep).

So Opal has a document forged & smuggled over saying that all the moneys AND properties now belong to her. And Hubert signs it.

Opal: "Btw if you kill me or if I die, it'll all just go to charity instead~".

Hubert throws a tantrum but he's beaten down by her logic (& also because she has all the power) & he finally calms down enough that he starts working hard for 7 years until he's able to buy back all his territory from her piece by piece.

He confesses to her that he fell in love with her & wants to marry her for real, but she rejects him.

I think he said something sappy about their first dance at their wedding but all Opal could remember was the fact that he accused her of being a whore right afterwards. And she says that to him.:blob_patpat:

POST-DIVORCE:
    So Hubert's been bumped up to a B- rank in terms of male leads & that's mostly because he actually denies the rumors still floating in high society of her being a whore & actually tried to do something about them - making clear what the reason of their divorce was for (aka it wasn't because she cheated on him).

.....But later he gets jelly of her closeness with BFF & insinuates that she cheated on him & Opal's just like "why are you so disappointing....BFF's been out of the country for YEARS even before I married you."

BFF's the exiled prince of a neighboring country (hiding out as a baron's son) so he went back to reclaim his homeland & also to be a worthy man of Opal (but rip, she got married before that could happen - he's still putting down civil unrest & antagonistic factions even 7 years later). He respects Opal 100%, but sadly his friends don't.

They immediately believe the rumors of her being a whore & make comments to her why she's acting like she's not experienced with "those types of things" when she makes an offhand comment at a party they're all at.

Opal straight up tells them (politely) to fuck off & that she doesn't care if they don't like her, she'll stay out of their way & vice versa. BFF shows up & he's pretty disappointed in his friends, especially since they were acquainted with her a bit before the party started.
    She might have dumped wine on them, I forget if she did.

Anyway, later she heads to the foreign country with BFF to support him but gets kidnapped by an anti-BFF faction & they lock her in an attic for now, saying that they'll spread rumors (since she a slut) that she ran off with another man in order to shake BFF's conviction.

Opal: how dumb do you think he is
    Bad guys: it doesn't matter if he believes it or not, other people will

And that's where the raws end I think? With her stuck in the attic for now.

Bonus with the maid who bullied Opal the most - she ends up being kicked out of Hubert's household for getting pregnant (Opal: ..... *even more disappointed in Hubert*). Hubert talks about it like it's all the maid's fault & Opal's just like *men never take responsibility for their actions.....he could at least tracked down the father & not just kicked her out immediately.....:facepalm:*. Turns out she was swindled by a nobleman's son who promised to make her his wife (he did this with a lot of women). Opal is running a women's shelter & is trying to push forward women's rights (since she knows what it's like to suffer from misogyny after being denounced a slut for defending herself against a would-be rapist), tracks down the maid & offers to take her & her bastard baby in to one of the shelters.

Out of guilt (& some small bits of pride), the maid keeps refusing to impose on Opal until Opal's just like "listen I don't care about YOU, I care about your kid. You gonna let an innocent baby starve because of your incompetence?".

Opal gets testimonies from the maid & other women while BFF is gathering other evidence (nobleman's son was connected to some major bandit attacks along a highway so this is 2 birds with 1 stone). Together they destroy him in public, have him arrested for both charges & Opal finally gets the maid to realize that her child's father was 100% lying the whole time. Maid finally accepts to be taken into the women's shelter & thanks Opal repeatedly.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  10. Lasika

Lasika Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the spoilers @so-chintzy
    How does the romance develop between Opal and Claude? I get he may have loved her but what about Opal? Hubert seems like a man - child, so I'm glad he isn't the lead. I adore that Opal calls him out on his past actions - too many male leads get away with it coz they are the chosen leads. Hopefully his new fiancee is able to handle him better.
    Does Opal's attacker eventually get found and caught? I do hope so since he was pretty much the start of it all.

11. Himemiya

Himemiya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm totally living for this spoiler lol. Thank you! Got to adore that she chose the childhood friend instead of that douche duke and calls him out for the disappointing little shit that he is. So refreshing because that happens rarely in this kinds of novels (marriage-of-convenience etc.) where the ML was so mean to the MC to the point of *cough* abusive. Because, what, they're going to love each other in the end anyways lol

Scapezz, syofiaa, Maikh and 7 others like this.
  12. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow i love her????!!!!!!

Ceilo27, MianneChan, Catweed and 5 others like this.
  13. savii

savii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone picked this up soo happy

14. Atriedes

Atriedes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love her already. Not the typical feminist, I-am-better-than-a-man kinda character. She is just a strong woman who needs to fight against gossip and prejudice.

These kinda stories are what girls around the world need to read, to remind them that they can be strong even if odds are against her.

15. DAngel7

DAngel7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the spoilers!
    I kind of want to know how did Hubert fell in love with her? (I mean what signs were shown of his feelings changing before we find out with his confession).

I like that she is a strong female lead rather than a too kind hearted who takes the abuse. And I'm really happy that Huberts past bad way he treated her will bite him in the butt, and won't just get the girl at the end. So pleasantly surprised that it's the BFF!

Can someone give me link to where I can read it (I only found it as manga but it's going very slow and it's on ch. 3 so far :( )??

Scapezz, syofiaa, Mikaa and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jesicagozali

Jesicagozali Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I think I found the novel on the wattpad. Try looking. sorry that I cannot post the link haha Im just a newbie

17. eqalidan

eqalidan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    reason being, and this may come as a shock, what with marriage involving lawyers and money and all the historical crap, that marriage was never about love and love=marriage is a VERY new concept in the world.
    marriage was a business transaction and still is treated like one even though its not anymore.

Back then you may have had a childhood friend you liked, or a person you liked, and they would try hard to make something of themselves to get you. but more often than not, you were married off to someone who was decent, possibly higher status, and while they arent the person you want, they are a person you are at the very least on amicable terms with.

why a guy get to be a man whore but a woman cant? VERY simple
    today, finding out paternity is a sub 1000$ test, and you know if its yours or not, but back then, she could have decided to have a lover behind your back, have his kids and you have to provide for them.
    the higher status you are the more damage this can ultimately do to you. he having a reputation of whore is FAR different than modern context, and you can't look at it from a modern point of view to really understand this. NOONE is going to risk getting cucked in a time where you can't guarentee paternity if they have ANYTHING to lose. modern times its not a big deal due to condoms, and the what 20+ ways a woman can not have a kid while still having sex.

It sucks for mc, it's not fair how women are treated when attacked/raped/mislead but especially during a time where you are more or less sol and there are no safety nets for screwing up, no one is going to want to deal with it.

the reason men can screw with little consequences is also simple, the only bad thing that may happen is they have a bastard, potentially a succession problem, but it is not social ender like it is for women. it's not encouraged exactly, but its not as dire a screw up as it is the other way around.

I'm well aware that many times in stories like this, they aren't written for historical accuracy so it's probably better to assume they aren't, but I always give benefit of the doubt to authors that they thought it though a bit more than they probably did.

18. so-chintzy

so-chintzy One of the editors for Yukkuri Translation Service

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone copied my spoilers from here & used my username to paste them onto mangago.me & I'm just vaguely confused because why copy my username too???

@Lasika I don't recall if anything happened to Opal's attacker. Romance between Opal & Claude is very slow but sweet - more like best friends with soft sappy moments & lots of business/politicking.

Alniyat, engengeng19, Mikaa and 6 others like this.
  19. Lasika

Lasika Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Awww thanks @so-chintzy
    I wondered because her uncle looks suspect and a part of me thought if the attacker was deliberately sent Opal's way...

Alniyat likes this.
  20. seabuckthorn

seabuckthorn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor attempt of keeping original source:hmm:

Vhe and Mikaa like this.