Discussion Happy endings seem so rare nowadays

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by PaladinWolf, Sep 9, 2019.

?

Should there be more happy endings

1. Yes all stories should have a happy end

23.4%
  2. At least a little closure would be nice

42.9%
  3. I don't care so long as it definitively ends

22.1%
  4. No a little sadness is good

5.2%
  5. All stories should end in the most miserable way possible the dog should die and you should too

6.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Misery and drama seem to be the go-to way to add depth to a story. I often prefer shallower stories to those drama fests. If I want that I'll read the news. Then I'll get something that's shallow and a dramafest.

2. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I do like bad ending.

But i dont want my dog died and i still want to live dude.

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  3. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Berserk was nice until the New World Arc. And it will be years until I see an end for that.

Ubel Blatt, is a good story on duality of a Hero.
    Getting revenge and stuff like that. It's also a completed story

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  4. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't really care whether it's a happy or sad ending. But what I really don't like is when authors would make it a sad ending, then proceed to make a book 2 where everyone becomes happy even the supposedly dead characters are brought back to life. It just ruin things for me.

Dr_H_16 and Deleted member 38284 like this.
  5. Dinosquash1

Dinosquash1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a happy ending a few mins ago...

6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But story on that one went Ubel Splatt near the end though.

I'm good either way but I have to admit, sad endings pull more heartstrings. Poor Madoka, Ctholly etc.
    But it must be done properly. Happy endings like Mai-Hime should be avoided, Deus Ex Machina happy ending bleh.
    Rock Falls, Everyone Dies too. I don't mind Heroic Sacrifice but "meaningless death from nowhere" is a no-no.

7. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to toilet more often, don't endure it until that long. :whistle:

8. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh really. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

9. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know. I feel like Happy Ending lasted shorter and had less impact on me than the Bittersweet and Tragic Ending.

Nightow1 likes this.
  10. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is, I don't want to be afraid. Reality is scary enough. I might perish in atomic fire tomorrow. Or get hit by a truck. Or get some really painful and incurable medical problem. And that's before I turn on the news!
    Those stories where good always wins are what gives me strength to go on.

I don't want too much tension in my story, either, so that I can interrupt it at any point where the translator hasn't translated it yet, and at any point real life calls for me.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  11. Wandering Cultivator

Wandering Cultivator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you need novels to have happy endings to escape from the anxiety building in your daily life there's nothing wrong with that and nothing to be ashamed of either. Everybody has stress going on in their lives. IDK if I can give any advice for that, when I was in college I avoided drama, tension, and BE like the plague so I know when you start something promising and eventually drop since it becomes too much. And then think about it every now again when you're trying to fall asleep and it give you a headache. :notlikeblob:
    IDK, I hope you find more things you like :bloblove:

Dr_H_16 and flannan like this.
  12. AKIKAN

AKIKAN The Dicktator

Reading List:
    Link
    People are becoming more pretentious, same with high literature that I considered shit. Whatever endings, they'll always be hollow and shallow.

How about genocide ending with alternative historical events, or rape and torture for the heroes? Well, I suppose that won't even be allowed to release, but those scenarios could be expected when things didn't go the way the heroes wished.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  13. Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet 『Gomi Delivery Service』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really one for overly dramatic stories that unsubtly pour misery everywhere, or the infectious happy plague where everything and everyone is happy. So long as it ends fittingly and isn't stressed, I don't mind if it's a bad or good ending.

14. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because happy endings have been way overselled in the past. You know about "protagonist halo", right? The MCs just won't die and will always win everything in the end. Everything highway-smooth. And the troupe to achieve this kind of ending has already been used and reused to the point of exhaustion.

And it certainly distanced the MC from the reader's reality. I personaly always find it difficult to empatized with a completely "happy ending" stories. After all, nothing could really be counted as "happily ever after" until after the person died. A 'happy ending' with a bleakness, an outcome of bad choices, or downright wistful/bad end is way more satisfying.The characters feels more human and riddled with flaws

Nightow1 likes this.
  15. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a whole niche industry for scenarios like that... :p check under Hentai. No, not the person, the topic. :D

flannan likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there are still a fair amount of happy endings out there, maybe you're just not reading the right genres?

I personally prefer happy endings for sure~

17. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole reason I even thought to post this question was because of a few TV shows my mother has been watching lately and the new blair witch game that just came out the ending was just miserable no definitive end no closure not really sad just miserable and that just seems to be the mainstream nowadays

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Dr_H_16 likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't watch TV, but most games I play and most novels and mangas I read tend to end with happy endings...

19. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose having ALL of the following for is rare for any light novel series: It has a childhood friend who has known the guy the longest and has the closest relationship with him. She first girl introduced (introduced on first page) and is the first girl to do each of the following with our lead guy: kiss, confess, and bang. Furthermore, she is the bustiest or second bustiest of the harem group. While he picks her, dealing with the antics of the other girls is fine. Furthermore, there might be an open relationship or similar in that he might bang the other girls (no threesomes or orgies, though) but his childhood friend is the first in his heart and in his pants. Finally, if any of the girls get pregnant, the first to both conceive and deliver is her!

20. CharaDere

CharaDere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really like sad ending and actively try to avoid stories/shows etc that have them. Life is already full of tragedies and sadness and so I seek entertainment for that moment of happiness. I prefer not to feel even sadder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.