Male Villains Are Always Forgiven

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Wujigege, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently watched the Legends, I read up the viki comments and every female who commented kept raving about Jiang Wu.
    He was a sociopath who killed thousands of people but he is pretty and in love so its fine.
    He killed civilians women and children but he is pretty so all is well.
    A female character pricks someone with a needle or coughs wrong and all hell breaks loose.
    BURN THE B*TCH IN HELL!!
    This is why I find it hard to watch recent fantasy dramas since they are so focused on pretty boys who are psychos
    A standard wuxia would be fine for once. Sadly, stories like Legend of Chusen are rare..
    I am dreading Ashes of Love and all the other fantasy drama adaptations even though I have ran out of things to watch.
    Too old to watch high school romances, well never really liked them to be fair.
    P.S. Why do some think having rape in the synopsis makes the female character a strong woman? I was put off by Return of Condor Heroes because the dude who recommended the anime all those years back could not help but talk about the rape with such glee that it was disturbing..
    It will be nice for a fantasy action drama to be wuxia that isnt a freaking Jin Yong remake for once..

@ludagad @readerz please help with recommendations

2. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah but you're changing your opinion.
    Title says 'male villains' and halfway through your post you specify ' pretty boys'
    That kind of explains it.
    Get an ugly villain, and noone cares if they die.

3. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Emm, I don't watch Chinese dramas that much tho... The voice-overs grate on my ears to say the least. And even if the drama was adapted from a novel with a decently strong-willed MC, the drama adaptation would turn her into a white lily doormat and I'll die coughing up blood from seeing the travesty. And if the ML isn't a pushover scum, he's a bland iceberg dude, or a murderous psycho. The last type is actually the most interesting character-wise >_>;; and maybe that's why he was so popular, granted that all male leads have pretty faces and only their characters sets them apart. And also, another reason I avoid the Chinese fantasy type in particular, is the fact that it often ends in tragedy, and I'd rather stay away.

I would rather suggest watching dramas aimed at male auditory, first and foremost. Then try Korean or Taiwanese... My sister liked this one: https://myasiantv.to/drama/a-korean-odyssey/ . I haven't watched it myself, so no clue whether it's really that good or not. I just remembered Ze Tian Ji got a drama some time ago. Have you tried it? https://mydramalist.com/18952-fighter-of-the-destiny That's the extent of what I know. After my huge disappointments with Go Go Princess and Princess Weiyang, I've completely given up until someone manages to hype a drama enough to convince me.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. NamGi

NamGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read BL novels at least they don't have psychopathic pretty boys that are practically immortal ( ╹▽╹ )

Ran ahzu and Wujigege like this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha very true. But the stories are very popular.
    Fantasy dramas are seen are idol dramas but are even more popular than mainstream stories so they get pumped out like soda these days.
    I was looking forward to Martial Universe but the story got changed so much that it became Marital Universe. There was no contact in the very few fight scenes that were shown .
    Fights Breaks Sphere was better but it was so low budget that you had episodes with just two dudes talking to each other.
    All the female leads were too busy starring in Ruyi's Royal Palace and even some supporting male cast members had other shows they were in instead lol

6. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    you must be reading novels for girls, so the male villains won't die

like novels for boys, most of time female villains joins the harem

Diametric, mechamecha and Wujigege like this.
  7. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read anything shoujo/josei the comments wanna make you kill yourselves. One of the dudes is a literal baby murdering psychopath and everyone sike "he had a tough childhood uwu" and the minute a female "villian" shows intrst in the male lead or isnt kissing the gournd the MC walks everyone is calling her a "bitch" and "slut"

I think people who comment that or think that are the ones who got bullied in school and still havent let go of it. So they like to insert the bullies Into the "mean girls" that are present in these novels

But to be fair it probably the opposite in male aimed novels as someone said. But the reasons for it will be the same

8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well some things do make some people stronger and make some fall into depravity, the rape is one of such topics and many take offense to even mentioning it so I won't say anything about it :blobneutral:
    As for movie villains, well, not all of them are popular because they are pretty, at least this one or this one and even this one aren't liked by many for appearances :blobsweat_2:
    As for why women would like handome villains, well, you pretty much know, it is because they are handome (them being smart enough and their deeds genius enough to gain them fame is probably unrelated to them getting likable or not, in the fans eyes they are just pretty dangerous boys and lots of girls/women like that sort of guy :blobwoah:)
    So my point is, stop whatever shows you are watching and go watch something with decent evil plans and actual villains :blobowoevil:

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually enjoyed Go Go Princess but the end made no sense. I never read the book though so I found out about the change later.
    I read Ze Tian Ji and the story was hard to watch, I think they spent all the budget on hiring Lu Han.
    Taiwanese dramas are better if the leads can act eg In Time With You or if I am a fan of the actors and dont really care if the plot is crap like Attention Love but finding plots that dont make me bang my head in a wall is pretty hard.
    A Korean Odyssey is popular although I wont touch it with a ten foot pole thanks to the male lead. It is also written by the famous Hong Sisters, their stories are popular but the endings leave a lot to be desired.
    And you are right about the tragic endings, I just ignore them like I did with The Legends which is based on Ostentatious Zhao Yao.
    Admittedly, the villains were weak as they killed the believable villains early and the ones who came later were too weak character wise and their motivations made no sense. The story's strong point was the comedy, so the drama was hard to stomach, the last episodes made no sense for everyone and not just me who speed watched the whole thing haha.
    Maybe I should give movies a try, it would end before I get too disappointed lol.
    What do you think about So Young or My Lovely Bride?
    Asiancrush has a lot of clips on Asian movies on their YouTube channels.
    10 years ago as a young naive kid, I could enjoy most of them but after the recent Burning Sun Scandal, I dont know how a movie about an actress forced to do a sex scene can be stomached by anyone

10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn’t that most MLs, though? :hmm: Even as a fujoshi, I know this to be true.

mechamecha and Wujigege like this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha he was not the male lead in The Legends/Ostentatious Zhao Yao but he got a lot of screen time which was disappointing.
    My issue is that even as a guy who grew up on shojo, this seems a bit too much.
    The issue with rape is that it is usually gratuitous and needless when it is used in media. I personally just avoid it.
    There are exceptions like Return of the Condor Heroes
    Lol, I am considering watching Ashes of Love but I am wary.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  12. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasnt there this one recent popular BL where the dude was a literal serial killer and would rape and beat the other dude. I'd argue BL males are more pyshcotic

mechamecha and Wujigege like this.
  13. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you’re talking about “Killing Stalking”? I read maybe five chapters and then stopped for the sake of my sanity.

NamGi, theilikepie and Wujigege like this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Your point about bullies I think also explains why BL is so popular. If there are no female lead characters then there is no "bully".
    Hahaha I actually just watch the drama adaptations, since even BL get adapted into straight romances lol

theilikepie likes this.
  15. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that one I usually perfer shonen ai and not hard yaoi since it's really brutal but that one was really popular so I thoguh I'd see what the fuss was about. It's just made me realize why I dont really read yaoi in the first place

Wait is that really true?

NamGi likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, China is not Taiwan or Japan.
    Even Korea is a lot more conservative than most think. Finding gay stories are hard.
    I watched Go Go Princess and didnt even know it was BL lol

17. IndelibleWords

IndelibleWords Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about shows, but women prefer a villainous person as a fictional love interest. Heroes with good hearts will almost always have a harem like male protagonist books. In female protagonist stories, the ML is evil in most cases because the fantasy is 'he's cruel to everyone except me'. Also, bad boys...:blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed:

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    True but it gets old. My issue is the double standard, I want to see bad girls more in media :blobnosebleed: :blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed:

The Legends was the closest I have come to seeing my favorite Jin Yong character Li Mo Chou, she is a psychotic killer who was previously nice but started killing after being jilted by her loved one who married someone else.
    That was the main reason I watched, sadly the main female villain died too early and the one who remained who didnt really have bad intentions never got redeemed and neither did she get enough screen time, she just popped out of nowhere and gave one line and disappeared every episode lol
    Having too many characters didnt help the show too to be honest.

19. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    :LOL: Hey, some people only watch for the pretty boys so anything that looks fine is okay... it's only fiction anyway!

Wujigege likes this.