reincarnation problem

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ausare, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ausare

Ausare Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why do authors create reincarnated protagonists if they won't make use of modern knowledge?

srrrahim and dorque like this.
  2. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Most reincarnation novels i read do use their modern knowledge tho?

3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of reincarnation novels ive read do that but they tend to half-ass it in unbelievable ways. Like, yeah, a hikineet who knows how to run a country or an army.

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To serve as a bridge b/w modern readers (who can more easily relate to a protag with contemporary mindset) and ancient/fantasy worlds. Like, for the many readers who dream of isekai-ing with cheat and becoming omnipotent (wish-fulfilment), such a setting allows for them to put themselves in the MC's shoes. Moreover, those with otome game/novel reincarnation settings can utilize prior knowledge to get an advantage.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Lovina, Fulminata and Vincent1873 like this.
  5. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    because the authors too lazy to research things they dunno about :blobuwu:

stab the lazy authors!:blobhero:

from my POV, authors write for their own satisfaction rather than the reader's needs, so they'll rather make it convenient for themselves. the furthest I go is checking if what I write about is actually accurate and if my word use is correct. nothing like, oh I dunno how to make a water wheel in a mother world so let's search it up!

Lovina and Ausare like this.
  6. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What modern knowledge r u refering to ? I personally believe that they use the modern knowledge unrealistically rather than not use it , which might actually be better , in most novels . This is a point in which I can't help but agree with Running Away from Hero ? ( Remake ) where the MC comments about how most modern knowledge is useless to a reincarnator

7. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not the only reason to make a reincarnated protagonist. One reason is so that they're more mature than their age and the author doesn't have to write a child character. Depending on the world this allows the MC to build up power faster. It also explains modern morals and an expanded mindset in a character who shouldn't have them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Lovina, Snowbun, AliceShiki and 3 others like this.
  8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It's quite often just bait.

Reincarnation used to be (and to an extent still is) a popular genre. If you make a completely fantasy story in a completely fantasy world, you lose the viewership of reincarnation fans. So they put it at the start, to draw in the crowd, and dangles the perks of reincarnation until they decide that their story doesn't need that gimmick anymore and completely forget about it.

Examples of such stories are:
    Battle Through The Heavens (Chinese)
    I Am A Child of This House (Korean)
    Shiro no Oukoku Monogatari (Japanese)

There may be others, but Ai-chan can only recall those three from the top of Ai-chan's head.

Lovina, Nimroth and kenar like this.
  9. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never tell a reincarnated isekai protagonist that "it is their problem, so they should just LIVE with it!" No, this does not count them getting abused or sexually violated.

Lovina likes this.
  10. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    nope you know the trend and drill all make this novel and the stupid studio adapt it then us old readers watch as our sanctuary gets trampled over and give up reading novels as how i end up choosing just forget and read if you have low standards

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  11. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that you mention it. The protag of that one is indeed a reincarnator except that he lost all of his memories, lmao.

Ai chan likes this.
  12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason varies from author to author, but one thing about reincarnation into a fantasy world is that it is suppose to give readers a closer connection with the protagonist. As the protagonist should embody ideals closer to ours and ones we can understand from our perspective.

"Modern knowledge" goes beyond simply technology. It also includes our standards and expectations.

Unfortunately as tropes go, to have a harem, and embody unrealistic "Japanese morals", the protagonist has become some weird clueless existence that doesn't make sense in any world.

Effectively, current isekai has been watered down by tropes to the point it lost all meaning. Most being as mentioned blind self inserts.

13. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It just depends on who you're reading. i tend to stick with the better writers and they tend to give a lot of thought to all the benefits that knowledge of things like science in worlds where it doesn't exist yet. Heck, in one book I read, the protagonist knows the period of history so he knows about all the major events that happen in a particular war. But the writer is clever enough to play with the outcome by having him realize that even though he knows what actually happened, he doesn't necessarily know how or why it happened. It can be really cool, and I see this kind of usage all the time.

However, there are some writers who just use protagonists from the modern world without it doing much for the rest of the story. Usually, this is so that the protagonist can be immediately familiar to the audience without too much effort from the writer, or because the writer just isn't very good. Honestly, if you don't like it when writers do this, then the standard advice is just "read better books"; they're out there so just go find them.

14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Simply having a mature character reincarnated as a child already gives the author a lot of ways to develop the character while they're still a child. This much is enough.
    In all honesty, I didn't even know it was a reincarnation story until just a few chapters ago, it was actually a shock for me to discover it, because like... There really is no mention of it anywhere in the first chapters, and the official synopsis doesn't mention reincarnation at all either.

I really have no clue why it was decided they needed reincarnation in a story that never mentioned reincarnation even once and clearly didn't look like there was reincarnation involved... It was weird.

Ai chan likes this.
  15. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say that the reincarnation served it's purpose but wasn't important going forward. It gave him a very strong soul and made him mature enough to be labeled a genius. It set the stage. It doesn't need to be relevant for the entire story. It's like having them start off weak or a coward.

16. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Problem with BBTH is, there was a quest connected to the reincarnation, after the first chapter it was just gone. Poof, as if the reason he reincarnated was nothing more than a joke. The quest was never solved and even the protagonist forgot about the quest, yet it was portrayed as something very important that he would die to protect and carry over to his next life.

17. Gekkoureader

Gekkoureader Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're gods, and like all gods, each one is different. Whether that person is as insanely hard working as the protagonist or as half-assing as one can half their ass.

18. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I've no idea what quest you're talking about. I don't think there was one introduced in the first few chapters. At least not one related to his reincarnation.

19. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, Ai-chan got the wrong Chinese novel. They're all so bloody same. The one with the quest was probably Douluo Dalu, but Ai-chan could've sworn it was BTTH.

Douluo Dalu was the same. Despite the extremely important quest, it was never mentioned again.

20. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? Maybe, but that entire story revolved around him using the previous world's knowledge to get ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.