Recommendations Democracy

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Brungles, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Brungles

Brungles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like every story that I've read has a monarchy or dictatorship or some other kind of fascist government. Are there any novels where the protagonist attempts to create or support a democracy?

Necromanico likes this.
  2. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    *waits for answers as she is also curious*

3. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *lurking*
    I think I remember starting to read one like that and dropping it. Sorry, I can't remember the name though.

4. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    well the ones that have a democrat are ether shown how bad and inefficient they are
    or show how good and pretty it is in a wank of sort of way

5. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Well a democracy or a Parliament of equals kinda renders the whole issue with having a central protagonist moot. Most Asian novels seem to focus on having a central MC who's showing his/her way to be the only way, slapping faces and generally disregarding existing power structures. Stuff that's the very anathema of democracy.

Plus, democracy is stupid when you have superpowered beings. DC comics did a really good run on it in their Red Sun series, where Kal-El crashes into USSR instead of USA and takes a different approach, one involving a benign dictator. So you see why Asian novels, set in worlds where the power disparity, wealth inequity and connections matter (much like irl Asia) more don't think democracy is a valid system.

Plus, China and democracy generally don't get along well , you know.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe Gate? I don't know what happens after the anime coz the manga is super dull, too much politics.

7. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    Democracy?is it tasty?
    jokes aside, i think Realist Hero will have Parliamentary Monarchy like Britain in the future, since he is focusing on educating the masses and also empowered the council.....u have to realize that all these novels are taking place in an almost illiterate society with nobles......so democracy novel is a pipe dream.....

8. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    If you mean a fake democracy where people have a say only because the protagonist is "kind" enough to give them a voice then possibly.

9. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Smells like hypocrites and heresy,I lived in so called democracy and I know it's full of shit

lucjanssens likes this.
  10. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you saying you can't find webnovel set in modern time ?

11. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck if you're looking for any CN novels, it's like a drop in an ocean.
    Most of the novels go like "Either you accept when I say moon is made of cheese and aliens are real, or I exterminate your clan and nine generations". :blob_coughblood:

lucjanssens and hawlol like this.
  12. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Battle brothers,there isn't enough heavy flamers for this heresy.

13. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    For the Emprah

Bloodysin28 likes this.
  14. Lazypioneer

Lazypioneer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Dungeon Defense counted since certain someone want to create a Democracy and Mc kinda "Support" it?

15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Kind of like Legend of Galactic Heroes? (at least one of the protagonists supports democracy)

That said, no one truly wants a democracy. What we all REALLY want is a tyranny of our own choosing. Democracy has simply been a result of not wanting the other guys tyranny so you make compromises to form a democracy.

pentadrian likes this.
  16. Brungles

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I was going to mention this but I didn't want my suggestion to veer of topic.

17. strongcoffee

strongcoffee Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Democracy outside of highly Homogeneous Society whether Religious, Race or Ethnicity wise is not much successful. It gives rise to Populist Parties who in turn will use fault lines of society to be in Power. For Western Societies which is predominantly Caucasian, Wealthy, Educated and Christian its easier to be Democratic although we're seeing how Left & Right is destroying it but thats another argument. So in Asia where you've Christian converting the People who in turn only vote for Christian/Church backed candidate, Muslim voting for only Mosque backed candidate and then if it isn't Religious then it is on ethnicity/race. Add the Foreign Interferences in the country which further harms the growth of Democracy in these young Democratic Nation. Then corruption and investment in Subsidies instead of Infrastructure etc. This all lead to people realising that its far better to be somewhat Autocratic then democratic as Elites, Religious Leaders, Etnic Leaders subvert the Democracy for their whims. You can blame the people but they rarely have a choice so they vote for those who will atleast give security to them. This DisTrust needs long time to be cured. So people are disillusioned by Democracy.

In nation with super powers, beast man, elfs, Humans, Magic, Demons, etc it becomes much harder to be a Democracy as there is lack of Trust.

ky_s and lucjanssens like this.
  18. ZhypherMU

ZhypherMU Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Brungles

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any evidence of this because this just sounds like the usual fascist talking points. All societies have friction and autocratic governments tend to have problems when selecting new leaders and tend to much more violent transitions of power and a severe lack of human rights.
    Republics and democracies don't have problems due to race, that is an unsubstantiated claim often made by racial separatists. They have two major sources of problems, cultural integration and lack of class mobility. These two factors are what have lead to most problems in modern countries. People who are culturally assimilated into the home culture of an area will be nearly the same as the original people crime wise just changing mainly based on their socioeconomic stratum. Most democracies end due to lack of mobility in socioeconomic class or overwhelming corruption in the government where peasants will bring down the nobles when they are unsatisfied.
    But that has zero to do with my question instead of veering off into your own direction. If you want to discuss what governmental system you support in sure a new thread could easily be made.

20. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    The USA has an example of racial problems, like how there was a higher out-cry for what their first 'black' president did, versus what their current president has done. -- NOTE: I don't pay attention to politics, but I read some stuff on reddit, so this is probably not at all accurate, but Trump seems like a joke from what I read, and am not sure why they didn't fire him, or whatever it's called. Especially when they did the same to another one due to a scandal, Eg. He cheated on his wife; while this one is just seems plain incompetent. -- Like, he didn't even know basic multiplications (Aka 11x11), if one of the posts is right.