Resolved [CN] How would you translate...

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by suncust, Sep 14, 2019.

1. suncust

suncust I love all fluffy things! ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wondering how would most translators translate "千岁" or "万岁" in terms of when they are greeting the king or emperor e.g. "皇上万岁万岁万万岁"

Would most just do a literal translation of May the emperor live for ten thousand years?

Also there are times where its use in terms of cheers, how would that be translated?

2. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    皇上万岁万岁万万岁 = long live da king(emperor)!
    The huge urge to say that line. LOL
    If you want to make it sound nicer, it can also be:
    - May the emperor live for eternity
    - May the emperor have longevity
    - We wish longevity for the emperor

千岁 and 万岁 is essentially the same in my opinion, it's only there to show that there is more respect for the emperor than the queen/empress.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Solkage likes this.
  3. AlphaNumericTL

AlphaNumericTL New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In ancient Chinese culture, the Emperor, and only the Emperor was blessed to live for 10,000 Years. Everyone else in the royal family was blessed with 1,000 years. This seemed to be quite strict, and whoever blessed them with anything other than this, or if someone blessed someone besides the Emperor with 10,000 years, they received severe punishment. Or so I have read during my research.

4. suncust

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I do get those when its used to greet/wish the emperor but i was more curious about when they are just used as a standalone cheer of 千岁 or 万岁, how would one translate such a cheer though.

Would it be just translated as hooray or hail or something

5. Passerby

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they will get any other punishment other than execution though. Wishing another person 10,000 years, especially someone with influence is the same as regarding him as the emperor. That can be regarded as rebellion.

Nightow1 likes this.
  6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the Chinese version of "Long live the King!". After all, isn't "May you live 10,000 years" the same as saying "You'll live a long life"?

The difference is that the Chinese have a greeting one step lower for lower ranking people (1,000 years).

On a more cynical note, this is also the "Banzai" of the Japanese. So it would all depend on context. In a court, I'll usually direct translate to "May you live for 10,000 years" since it is perfectly functional as a greeting but if it is on a battlefield, I'd translate it as "For the Emperor!!" since that was the intent of screaming "Banzai!!!" before charging into the enemy.

No surprise there, you just indirectly hinted that you wanted the other guy as the Emperor. Aka rebellion. lol.

Passerby likes this.
  7. Passerby

Reading List:
    Link
    I would still translate it along the line of "long live" with notes attached or different formatting between the 2. This is due to them translating into the same phrase in English.

suncust likes this.
  8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the Emperor!!! lol.
    All Hail the King works too.
    It all depends on context. If a public audience where everyone is seeing the King and is screaming that, "All hail the King!" is a valid translation or "Long live Your Majesty!" or "Long live the King!". In a battlefield, "For the King/Emperor!!" works. All context dependent.

suncust likes this.
  9. suncust

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I think the use of long live would suffice as a cheer

10. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    go for a classic
    [​IMG]

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is correct, but it does depend on when the story takes place. Up until at least the early Song Dynasty, "万岁" was used as a general expression of great respect. It could be applied to anyone; not just the emperor. It's likely the phrase wasn't solely reserved for the emperor until the Ming Dynasty. Most writers probably don't know this; and if they did, they'd probably point it out ahead of time.

12. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the difference between long live the king and long live your highness.
    万岁is use to dress the Emperors only.
    千岁is use to dress the king(王) and royalty other than 格格 they don't get praised.

万岁 is hurray in another context...
    Hurray to the empire!