Recommendations European Medieval Hardcore life ?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Kiss, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord something on RRL? Someone recommended me as kingdom building, but I didn't wanna read a no power story.

Kiss likes this.
  2. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Good Luck

Kiss likes this.
  3. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
    And all of them are in some shape or form fantasy themed with magic or game elements --especially so if the country of publication is Asian.

I recommend asking for Western medieval fiction at this point.

Kiss likes this.
  4. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I can think of atleast 3 CN novels that would almost fit it. Problem is that one is barely getting started with translations (30ish out of hundreds) and none of them have reincarnation from birth, they have reincarnation with body possession of someone who's old enough considered to be an adult. Two of them have MCs with two women , another has him having a harem as well. One of them is completed, but it also has a sequel.

I can think of some JP which would almost fit it, but they usually have magic , harem and it's pretty hard whether to know if they're completed or not.

As for the definition of hardcore... there's a lot of war going on, and the MC is really good at it, with war and trade being the primary methods the MC expands massively and rapidly.

6. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Just watch Vinland saga currently airing.

Kiss likes this.
  7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is untrue. There are a lot of Japanese novels that seem to be set in Medieval Europe, but it's a fake impression. They're actually based on Dragon Quest rather than the real world. The number of books which really care about what Medieval life was like is very small, and these don't tend to get translated.

"King of Mercenaries" is a title that does care about this kind of thing, but it takes place a little bit later; in the Early Modern era. Also, only the first 3 chapters are translated so you'll have to read it in Chinese.

Oh, I'm curious about these Chinese titles. Please share what they are!

Kiss likes this.
  8. Fitoor

Fitoor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kiss likes this.
  9. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe?
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/tales-of-the-reincarnated-lord/

10. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    refuse harem? HOW DARE YOU!

Kiss likes this.
  11. Bugis-san

Bugis-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mate you asked on not so right site. Maybe you can find those criteria on true novels or even historical fiction but not really on light novels (because your request are more towards heavy read rather than light...). Try to find it on google play books for starters.

Kiss likes this.
  12. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about hardcore in a hard-boiled action sense? (Hold the overt sorcery and fantastic elements.)

Or are you referring to meticulously researched and historically accurate with the author being hardcore?

The latter would be extremely hard to find with GL/BL elements from the web novels and light novels. It would be hard to find among western writers; especially since much of the common medieval knowledge stems from 19th century authors like Mark Twain and The author of Ivanhoe or Authorithian myths.

13. placeholder45

placeholder45 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > This is untrue. There are a lot of Japanese novels that seem to be set in Medieval Europe, but it's a fake impression. They're actually based on Dragon Quest rather than the real world. The number of books which really care about what Medieval life was like is very small, and these don't tend to get translated.

Yeah, most of the light fiction people are writing is fluff, recycled from earlier fluff, recycled from Dragon Quest - there are Asian authors who do research, but we're not running into them.

I'm more irritated about protagonists parachuting in and showing the ignorant natives how to 1) use seasonings 2) invent fiber-filled "cushions" as a technology, or 3) teach the ignorant native blacksmith the idea of the "fishhook".

14. Kiss

Kiss {Cutie of the Chaos Family}

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry everyone this is going to be complicated to answer one by one, but I understood the general idea ~

-More closer to Western authors
    -And on heavy works rather than light novel
    -Do not say aloud that I'm not looking for Harem

simak -> I meant by that, the living conditions between raids, famines, diseases, wars that kind of thing ~

Thank you all and sorry for submitting an impossible request ~

15. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The closest one I can think of is Prince of thorns, but there are some fantasy elements, and history don't start from when mc is a kid, even tho there are some flashbacks to that

16. placeholder45

Reading List:
    Link
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. People in the past aren't any less intelligent than people today. They knew fewer things but tried to make the most of what they had available. Books that acknowledge this and play around with the idea can do really cool things. Books that don't care feel a lot more artificial in comparison. For example, I think that there's a lot of good things to say about "Ascendance of a Bookworm", but the fact that the locals are amazed by the most mundane things that Maine comes up with is a big turnoff.

Kiss likes this.
  18. placeholder45

Reading List:
    Link
    "She puts butter on baked potatoes? Genius!"

Qiun likes this.