Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
    Even though BL author is female, I hate to see them writing women as villain and antagonist. That's why i am not into BL novel cause BL author hate women, even she herself is women. I feel disgust when they hate women and writing women as antagonist. GL is best.

2. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's something that has to be unlearned with great difficulty, unfortunately. BL written by men usually treats women much, much better.

Oh - and now I remember that there was a BL with a yuri (incest) cameo! Unsurprisingly, it was written by a man. It's "The Reader and Protagonist Definitely Have to Be in True Love". The characters were originally harem members in the "original story" (they were "turned straight" by the protagonist), but they became simply loyal followers after the reader entered the story.

Ubik likes this.
  3. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know after reading something like these you could lose faith in humanity.
    But there are two different things - genre expectations and the author should be counted as another entity from stories that were created.
    And what bothers me most is target audience of stories in general meaning in something like that. I know tastes are different but.... that beyond my level of comprehension. :notlikeblob:

Moonpearl likes this.
  4. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    BL tends to be the place where women's darker sides come out. You can see the same disdain for other women in shoujo - the bitchy rival in love, etc. - but it's so much more viscous in BL.
    Older or more self-aware BL fans usually notice and are uncomfortable with it, though. It's why "Legendary Master's Wife" ended up with a bad reputation; it's one of the worst on the site for hating women.

Ubik and AliceShiki like this.
  5. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, that whole view is seriously twisted. I dont think the opposite happens in GL though, at least not to my knowledge, so it's kind of a surprise. That just makes BL fans seem kinda scary. I think i'll upgrade my 10 foot pole to a 50 foot pole so i can stay farther away from BL.

Ubik and Aisha Ann like this.
  6. Myrane66

Myrane66 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, in BL there tends to be extreme power play between couples. Josou seme, where there's a clear dinstiction on who's the dom and sub. In GL, there's really zero to none , it's mostly sweet fluff stuff. Which makes me feel warm and tingly inside. But i wanna try something different. Is there any GL that has this josou seme vibe to it? One of the mangas that I've read that fits this is A Secret Between Us. Josou seme in GL is rare after all.

Ubik likes this.
  7. AsianessPride

AsianessPride World’s #1 Chinese Yuri Novel MTL

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you can read some GL smut if you want something like that. I guess in many GL novels, the women want to be equal in a relationship.
    I have some recommendation if you want some power play and dom/sub kinda. Check Archive of our own and explore your kinks

Ubik and Moonpearl like this.
  8. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    (I meant to reply to this yesterday, but I felt unwell, so sorry for the slight delay~!)
    I want to modify my earlier statement because I woke up yesterday morning and instantly remembered a ton of female characters who aren't villains in BL written by women. In "President's Wife is a Man", the seme has two beautiful female friends that the narrative likes; there's Rowena in "The Unicorn Legion"; and the little sister disciple in "The Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System" is beloved by the whole audience.
    I think my horrendous memories of "Legendary Master's Wife" has scarred me and made me overlook these characters. However, they're pretty easy to overlook given how forgettable they are.

I think the real problem with BL is that women don't play much of a role unless they're antagonists. And generally there's a pattern to those characters, where any woman who's romantically interested in the seme becomes an antagonist. I've noticed that doesn't happen to women who like the uke very often - those are played up for comedy and either take rejection really well and become just friends, or they become fujoshi who ship the main couple. And any woman who doesn't like either will support the relationship and be treated like little pets by the narrative.
    There are basically next to no women in BL. Women are either just the supporting cast (in every sense of the word) or they're "bitches"/"sluts".

That's not just a problem among BL fans, though - it's just that BL is an environment where it becomes really obvious. Female characters in all works get treated like this by female fans. (I'm not sure if male fans do the same. They might, but motivated by something else.)
    If a woman becomes a "love rival", fans will absolutely hate her. Taking "Inuyasha", for example... There was (is?) a big shipping war between the Kikyo/Inuyasha and Kagome/Inuyasha sects of the fandom. People who liked Kagome would see Kikyo as a man-stealing slut and a conniving homewrecker. People who liked Kikyo would see Kagome as a dumb, slutty bimbo. Their real characters didn't matter.
    That's how the love interests of popular male characters will be seen by that guy's female fans too, because the love interest is their "love rival".

GL treats women better because the story focuses on women. They're the characters who get screen-time and who are developed as people, as opposed to men. When the story treats women badly, it's only a few of many, so it becomes about their character rather than the fact they're women. In GL, men are as rare and as side-lined as women in BL, but nobody cares because men aren't ordinarily treated that way.
    But GL still has these problems. Think of that horrible scene in "Mistress, I was Wrong" where
    the MC drugs the protagonist's original love rival and has her raped.
    Or the MC's potential rival in "Didn’t Know General Was Female", who's depicted as a bitch in sheep's clothing.
    Whereas in "The General’s Manor Young Concubine Survival Report",
    the male love rival was only ridiculed a little and then they became friendly with him after he lost.
    It's not as big of a problem, but it's present.

You mean uke and seme?
    You can try:
    "Creo the Crimson Crises"
    The Bowsette x Peach pairing (Peach is usually seme)
    "Yuki and the Authoress"
    "A Love Letter for the Marching Puppy"
    And maybe the "Legally Married Yuri Couple Book"

On NU, "My Consort is Alpha" should have a domme MC, but there's only one chapter translated.

You can also try the anime "Murder Princess". It's yuribait rather than full yuri, but the characters stay together in the end.

Ubik, AliceShiki and Sabruness like this.
  9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading Alice tale on Krytikal and I have to admit that the scenes there were really good. The author knows how to draw a picture

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    For a moment I thought you were referring to a one shot I wrote, and I was like... "How did that come from!?"

Took me a while to realize you were talking about a novel! xD

11. Yandere Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    Dom Mc The Noble Consort’s Pet Empress
    Female General And Eldest Princess
    Beauty Manufacturing System
    My Disciple Consumes Too Much i get feeling Mc is dom cause FL is stupid and dense.
    Didn’t Know General Was Female Mc trying to dominate FL
    The General’s Manor Young Concubine Survival Report Mc trying to dominate FL, She wanted be top in bed.
    Female Protagonist is a Blackened Villainess Mc is mature and calm than FL.
    My consort Is Alpha is dom Mc, she is like manly.

Ubik and AsianessPride like this.
  12. AsianessPride

Reading List:
    Link
    I just found this new Chinese yuri novel and I’m in love with it :blob_plusone::blob_plusone:
    It’s called
    老板总想和我谈人生肿么破?
    About a single 30 year old mother who has a 2 year old daughter called Snowball who has autism. She found a company and became the secretary of the CEO. She was surprised that the CEO is a woman that’s 10 years younger than her. And how whenever she’s in some kind of trouble, the CEO is right around the corner. (She’s following Mc) The daughter is very relevant in the novel, the Mc is trying to cure her autism. The mother-daughter relationship is so cute~ :aww:

Side note: I love it how the daughter who usually isolates herself from strangers, got along with FL on their first meeting. To be honest, FL bribed her with a blueberry shortcake

13. Yandere Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    sound interesting, hope you recommend more good yuri novel.

Ubik and AsianessPride like this.
  14. AsianessPride

Reading List:
    Link
    Just trying to find some without any bad endings, some Chinese writers really fûck with my head
    I read one Chinese yuri novel with a bad ending and then I’m cautious with I read new ones

15. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags: misunderstandings

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Half a recommendation: NSFW
    https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/anally_developed_by_my_niece
    Only if you want anal yuri with FL mostly doing it to MC (no tribadism and stuff).
    Really good if you want to see anal but ultra disappointing for the rest because there is only that, no development, no flirting, no family time, no romance (well a little if you think of FL wanting to do have sex with MC).

AsianessPride likes this.
  17. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another yuri eroge.
    roomie-romance-deluxe-edition

Seems like a sequel to "Negligee", same graphics and stuff. I am unsure if it finally got voice acting for the characters (Negligee didn't).

18. AsianessPride

Reading List:
    Link
    Ubik and Yandere Devil like this.
  19. AsianessPride

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Titan0fPower

Titan0fPower Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if this is allowed, but anyways, I started a new yuri web novel series titled "The Final Monster" over at Scribblehub and Royalroad. That's if some of you are interested in a grittier form of isekai yuri. The yuri won't start till around chapter 5 though, just fyi.

Ubik, AsianessPride and Moonpearl like this.