Baldur’s Gate 3...I’ve never been so excited!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by userunfriendly, Jun 8, 2019.

1. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the original Xcom on PS2 myself...the only game I really played on the PS2...which is isometric micromanaging on steroids...:p

2. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see your point, with mods NWN graphic is nice and far better than BG graphic, HotU is good and ending is funny, MotB is good(-hunger) and ending is kind of epic, oc aren't good though, also I'm not comparing developers but games themselves.

3. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsalute: I salute you in trying this on PS2. I kinda imagine what problems and difficulties it bring, so I'll salute you more.

Especially if this is second BG3 that was made. First was continuation of main story.
    My barbarian with reflect cloak feel free enough in there later. More troubles gave me trolls in unexpected encounter.
    I don't see yours. If we compare graphics:
    then BG2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then nwn1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3d arse against handdrawn 2d - I wonder who'll like second more.

Addition: I know that on this engine Obsidian made NWN2 and CD Project made Witcher 1. But Engine and how you use it and what you put in there are different things.
    And additionally arse campaign of NWN made WoC approach Obsidian (or no, they were Black Isle at that time) to make BG3. But Interplay shutdown both Black Isle projects (BG3 and F3) , because RPGs and especially isometric RPG couldn't sale.

Westeller likes this.
  4. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wth are you talking about with engines and projects, I just say that i like nwn 3d graphics more than 2d drawn, interface is also easier to use imo. I don't really care what studio made what game, I only knew Obsidian made New Vegas and it was good.

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hell yes I am excited for this.

I actually think they'll hit the nail on the head. Sure, they might play fast and loose with D&D rules, but, and imo much more importantly, I think they'll absolutely capture the essence of freedom the BG games offered, with many ways to approach situations and interact with characters. D:OS and D:OS II are excellent examples of that same freedom, actually.

Anyway, it's a bit off topic, but you mentioned Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I haven't had the chance to play it yet. How is it?

kkgoh and Astaroth like this.
  6. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, at least with their portfolio we can expect good game regardless, will it be same as BG/IWD series or even new PT.

About Pathfinder or (Bugfinder) it was rather meh at the start, had large number of bugs, bad localization and difficulty curve. With recent Enhanced Edition and 3rd DLC, rumours said it's now at least playable and good. Not better than PoE or DOS but still good.

Astaroth likes this.
  7. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve been hearing good things about Pillars of Eternity...is good? Too complex?(that being the impression I got from YouTube.):p

Ubik likes this.
  8. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was best Baldurs Gate 3 without being named as Baldurs Gate.
    Game Director worked on cancelled version of BG3, and later he succeed in creation his version of it. PoE is very good and second part is the same, but better.

9. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Alas...cheese strategies seem lackin. I live for cheese.:p

:rolleyes: I loved the cheese and hacking gameplay on BG2. I hope 3 has them...:whistle:

10. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Well to be honest I had to eventually stop playing it since I started spending more time on the loading screens and save times than the actual game, and like others have mentioned it is/was riddled with bugs. My PC is getting pretty old and I still haven't gotten myself an SSD so that just made it all worse...

I've been checking on the subreddit regularly so I know that they're constantly fixing bugs and improving the game. The absolute worst was that the throne room (you become a lord of a region) was a separate instance, in a separate instance, with separate instances, and of course going around in the city and entering different rooms constantly brought up loading screens so that was really bad...

Anyway, things I liked with Kingmaker were:
    • Realtime with pause, I do like turn based combat as well, but with realtime you can just let your party go ham on their own without micromanaging the entire party in the easier fights, then in the harder ones you can spam pause and control everything they do as needed.
    • Metamagic system: You can use metamagic rods or feats to basically craft 'new' spells. In a way, I guess it's fairly similar to how you can combine spellbooks in DoS:2 to create 'new' spells.
    • Character customization (stats), I really like "theory crafting" and making character "builds". And that basically doesn't even exist in DoS tbh.
    • While not for everyone, I also like how there's a deadline/time pressure in Kingmaker so that you can't just do literally everything other than the mainstory like in every other RPG. Nope, you actually have to make sure that you have enough time to deal with your primary objectives. (Basically finish each phase of the mainstory within the allotted "time" or lose the game.)
    • The story is fairly simple and straightforward, at least in the beginning, I can't speak about later arcs, but it changes depending on player choices (and not just choices you make in some dialogue). For example, if you have two objectives, doing one before the other will have an effect on the other.
    • "Skills" like athletics, stealth, trickery, knowledge, lore, persuasion, etc. add both to combat and dialogue options, as well as when your party rests to recover HP, fatigue, and spellcasters get their spell slots filled up. (You only have a limited amount of spells you can use per day.)
    • I would've liked to have an option for personal crafting, but instead you've got your barony and so you have your "artisans" that make stuff for you. There's still a mod for enchanting items to turn them into magic items, though I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, the game is definitely worth at least a try, but I'm not sure if right now is the best time to buy it. Like I said I check the subreddit quite regularly and read patchnotes, and just recently there was the Enhanced Edition.

Well the EE brought tons of improvements, but now there's lots of mods that aren't compatible with it, probably lots of new bugs that will get fixed over the next month or two as well, and so on.

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe during Steam's summer sale, then.

Sounds like there's a lot of overlap with Pillars of Eternity in terms of things you like about the game. A little Dragon Age: Origins, too.

12. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MAAAANNN im so hyped for Baldurs Gate 3.

IN LARIAN STUDIOS WE TRUST

You have to try their games Dinvinity Original Sin 1 and 2.

Another reason to be hyped for it because Larian Studios have a "GAME MASTER MODE" where you can gather your friends and make a custome adventure. One of you can be the Game master while the other make their characters.
    Game Master Mode is in Divinity Original Sin 2, and it will be in Baldurs Gate 3

13. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude ... Pathfinder Kingmaker is absolutly amazing
    The game is totaly worth it. I have played it so many times and everytime there are different things to do.
    Timing is everything in this game. Depending where you go first , events change.

But after played it so many times i can say for sure that the best way to play the game is as the bad guy, as the villain. Its so much fun.
    Sadly there are some characters that will betray you no matter what you do.
    When you gather advisors for your barony, get the bad guys, they are very loyal. I pretty much remove all good companions and characters from my kingdom. Well except tristian, he cant be removed.
    I strongly suggest you get Tsanna and Vordakai as your advisors. Both are evil characters and are perfect for an evil barony. Both are very loyal too. Vordakai simly sees you as a mortal that will live for less than 100 years, so him serving you is liek nothing to him.

The game is very fucked up if you try to be the hero. It tosses you into lose/lose situations most of the time.
    So play it with an evil charcter or a neutral one.

There are some romance options in the game too. You can cuck an orc and steal his girlsfriend , or you can join them in a 3way, your choice. But i dont like this.
    I always romance Kalikke and Kanerah. There is actually a way to romance both at the same time if you choose the right dialog options.

Astaroth likes this.
  14. Tiken

Tiken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we take DOS2's example, then this Baldur's gate is going to take a lot of resources to play. I think I might need to upgrade my specs again :/

kkgoh likes this.
  15. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wonder... How multiclassing would work there. I still remember idiocy of NWN where sorcerer with pal and bg levels were pain in the ass in PvP for other spellcasters.