[Poll] The Value of a Human Life

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much would you pay to save the life of a loved one?

1. More than a billion times your annual income

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. 1,000,000,000x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1,000,000x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 100,000x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 10,000x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1000x your annual income

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. 100x your annual income

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. 50x your annual income

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. 30x your annual income

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. 20x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 10x your annual income

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. 5x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 2x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 1x your annual income

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  15. 6x your monthly income

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  16. 3x your monthly income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2x your monthly income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1x your monthly income

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  19. 2x your weekly income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 1x your weekly income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Less than your weekly income

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  22. I would refuse to pay for treatment

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  23. I do not wish to answer

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    This poll is a hypothetical scenario that quantitatively assesses the monetary value you assign to a loved one. And yes -- this is very morbid and even taboo to talk about, but my middle name is morbid! :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

Here's the scenario:

Pretend for the sake of this poll that you are 25 years old, working, and unmarried. However, you have a boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other whom you have been dating for four years. This significant other is somebody you like a lot and you could see yourself getting married with in the future.

One day, your loved one gets hit by truck-kun and ends up in the hospital with severe injuries.

For whatever reason, you happen to live in a :blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful: country where health insurance doesn't exist and hospitals can legally turn away patients who can't pay. Your loved one is also conveniently an orphan and doesn't have any immediate family members, and you are the person who is the closest to family to him/her.

The hospital gives you the anticipated medical bill and your eyes go wide when you see it. It's an enormous price tag, far more than you ever imagined!

The hospital wants you to sign a legal document saying that you will pay the indicated amount, or else they won't treat your loved one and s/he will die in less than 6 hours. They explain that since the patient is unconscious and can't sign legal documents, they want you to take legal responsibility for ensuring that payment happens.

What price would you be willing to pay to save your loved one's life?
    Note: If you are unemployed, assume that you have a minimum wage job. Second, if you agree to pay more than you have, you will end up in debt. Also, pretend that you cannot file bankruptcy in this primitive country to escape debt -- rather it will stay with you for life and also pass onto any relatives you have in the event that you die or are unable to pay. Also assume that the hospital has the right to charge as much as they want even if it seems ludicrous, and suing the hospital is not an option (free market unregulated capitalism!!! :sweating_profusely:). You can attempt to go to a different hospital, but it's possible the fee could be the same and your loved one only has six hours to live, so you'd be taking a gamble on his/her life!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sigh whatever don't have kids debt go away :p

Japorea, Dravileo and SenjiQ like this.
  3. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it will pass onto my loved one on my own death, then I would only risk my savings and none of my wages

4. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a fake truck-kun. Truck-kun makes sure every hit-n-run is 1hit KO.

Putting up a sign board
    "Single in 6hours".

5. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I get price check?
    • Water (35 L)
    • Carbon (20 kg)
    • Ammonia (4 L)
    • Lime (1.5 kg)
    • Phosphorous (800 g)
    • Salt (250 g)
    • Saltpeter (100 g)
    • Sulfur (80 g)
    • Fluorine (7.5 g)
    • Iron (5 g)
    • Silicon (3 g)
    • fifteen traces of other elements.
    An arm and a leg.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I went with 100x my anual income, which by the time I'm 25 would probably be something alone the lines of... R$2,000,000.00 probably.

It's the kind of debt that would probably stay with me for the rest of my life, but I'd slowly go paying it and as I got older and started earning more money I could dedicate more money to paying this debt. I could also resort to getting some help from my parents to pay a part of it monthly until I could pay for at least 1/100th of it per year.

More than that just isn't feasible though, like... 1000x what I earn/year is not something that I would pay in my lifetime, it would be a debt my children and their grandchildren would have to deal with... It would be one of those situations that I would be hopeless, but I would know I wouldn't have the right to save my loved one's life only to curse our children with an unpayable debt for the next few generations... That would be horrible, geez.

So... In essence, I'd be willing to pay as much as I'd be feasibly be able to pay, but I'd be unable to do it if it involved putting a debt in my future children's heads.

7. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobfearful: the price of something is more than just the sum of the parts!

8. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah~ I am a lonely unicorn~ you don't have quite the right option *I would pay any amount for my loved ones* irl I am basically a hermit. I am not fond of people(for the most part) and I have never been able to allow another person to come into my life in a romantic way (not that no one has tried) I'm just not big on physical interaction with others and I'm smart enough to realize I can barely take care of myself let alone another person.

all that said, If I found a person I would be willing to let into my life in this way, I would pay anything and do anything within my power to keep them with me. it also helps that I have no desire for children and any partner I am with would be one that feels the same, so the debt dies with us~

I (for the most part) don't like people, if I have let someone into my life in the way you define then they would have to do a hell of a lot more than getting hit by a truck to escape me~ (unless they wanted out, I'm not gonna hold someone hostage just because my dumb unicorn self fell in love.)

Japorea, iampsyx, Effugium and 2 others like this.
  9. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

[Hint]hospitals burn easily[/hint]

10. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you need to add
    - one human sacrifice
    - an arm
    - a leg

11. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a student so I don't have have an annual income. Guess my loved ones are gonna die then

The real value is in the organs though.

12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww::aww::aww: That's so cute!! :blobmelt::blobmelt::blobmelt:

13. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, since you are going by that drama like situation, you should continue, why stop there?
    *Cough*
    So here how this will go:
    You agree to pay the bill even if that ends up with later problems but at least loved one will be alright
    Treatment successful, loved one is alright now but needs recovering and can't leave hospital yet
    You leave to work and earn money to pay the bill while visiting loved one from time to time till loved one is alright and can leave
    Day by day you work to pay the hospital while saying it is worth it despite how much tired you are
    One day you come back and don't find loved one but a letter instead, loved one run away with a lover met in hospital during recuperation
    At that moment you remember all that stress and work you did to pay for your loved one
    You fall on your knees and probably will get some sort of mental break down as you realize
    [​IMG]

14. heavenlytribulation

heavenlytribulation [One Feared by All]

Reading List:
    Link
    This would never happen to one of my family members or friends because I would push them out of the way.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  15. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Just accept the fate, you know it only delay the departure just a little bit and actually you will make your loved one suffering longer. No guarantee after you debt the bill, your loved one will heal.....
    After thinking logic above....... I still pay no matter how much it cost, even the hospital say my wage can't pay it all even if I work for 200 years non-stop and decided to reject iou note. Well, love is egoistic and I just want to be with my loved one juuuuuust a bit longer even I know it hurts my loved one

AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  16. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I kind of figured at least one person would say something like this! :blobsweat_2:

17. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    if I was dumb enough to let the kind of person who would spit in the face of all the hard work I did to keep them alive and the debt I accrued, then I deserved it, and I WOULD be seeking legal action to have the debt transferred to them~

18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually this is a really interesting premise.

I wonder if the poll would have been different if I framed it as your loved one has depression and attempted suicide and is now in the hospital blah blah blah...

Traveling Chef and AliceShiki like this.
  19. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    ^.^

Trevor Noah discusses this exact scenario in this comedy sketch...hehe, it happened to him real life so think of it as research for this answer.

20. totagamer11

totagamer11 mofu-mofu master

Reading List:
    Link
    I would definitely pay 1 billion times my income to save family. Could I pay 1 billion times my income to save family? HELL NO!

Averroes93 likes this.