Discussion My messed up language

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wick, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have been trying to learn Korean language lately(around a week), to fulfill my desire to read Korean novel.

But some how it getting my other foreign language mess up, i start to forgetting English word that was very common like "study etc." This make my half baked English getting more and more bad.

Even worse, I have Japanese course when I'm in highschool, and the word that I already forgotten long time ago coming back and fill my head when I'm writing something in English and korean(BTW I'm still learning to write, read hangul and little bit of common conversation).

Anyone have experience it ? Do you have suggestions about what should I do ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read MTL.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  3. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    To read Korean novel i need to pay, and it doesn't fit me to pay something for making my head ache.
    Besides I need to do something to spend my idle time.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Me. Lol i already forgot where i came from.

Silv0 and Wujigege like this.
  5. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know if this will work for you but I’ll give some insight from my personal experience...

First, decide your basic language.

I’m sorry if your English is bad but if it’s not at least one level below fluent or native, it’s going to be very difficult. If most of the materials you have available to study from are KR to EN and not KR to native language then try to strengthen your English basis. Or go all out and use KR only reference books.
    I have been studying a bit of French for some time and my native language shares a lot of grammar and pronunciation with it so it’s easier. But since most of the books available for me were FR to EN, I also use that and it’s okay for the basic to intermediary level since my EN level is an IELTS C1.
    Now...KR and JP do have a lot of similar grammar and vocabulary. If you want to study JP to KR, there’s tons of available resources too.
    If you’re using flash cards or memo apps like Anki, you can use whatever language you want to memorize words as long as you got the correct meaning for everything.
    You have to be aware that fluency comes from constant usage of the language so immersion will be your best option always.
    If you’re forgetting either one of the languages, watch, read, listen or talk one of them EXCLUSIVELY for some time until you’re less confused. Or establish some rules like “I’ll read daily news in English then in my native language”, “I’ll watch JP anime without subtitles, then with English subtitles” “I’ll watch Korean variety shows without subtitles, then with Korean subtitles and finally with English subtitles” and so on. Make sure you’re getting reference material from reliable sources too.

...or you can just learn randomly and accept that you’ll become a byelingual person.

6. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently learning 3 language simultaneously. I've taken spanish for 4-5yrs mandarin for 1-2yrs and I just started Korean like last week. When I'm trying to remember Chinese words I think of spanish. When I'm trying to remember Spanish words I think of Chinese. When I think of english words I think of spanish. When I think of korean I think of Chinese. Now I have difficulty spelling and speaking common english words.

My advice: read more books. Actual english written novels. Your brain will naturally adapt to english(assuming it's your first language)

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think you should worry about it too much, you're probably overthinking it.

As you learn more languages, some stuff will naturally mix up and will confuse you, you'll also have some times that you forget really obvious words, but that's not a problem either, you'll remember them soon enough.

Just keep studying and dedicate yourself to it~

8. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Fortunately i know my english is suck, so all my reference was from my native language. thanks bye the way.
    to bad my english wasn't my first language. Thanks BTW.
    yeah, i think you are right. thanks

9. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading books with help anyways even if it's not your first language. Seeing the common words you forget again and again will help you remember them. If it's not your first language read books that match your proficiency in english. If you read something above your level it'll just discourage you from improving.

10. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, the title should be “My messED up language”:ROFLMAO:

11. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol

userunfriendly likes this.
  12. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I saw this thread before opening the page, I thought it was referring to "dirty words".

13. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that you mention it, i think so too. Lol