[Poll] How Easily Do You Make Friends?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
?

At the end of the four week period, what is the likelihood you will be friends with your roommate?

1. 100%! I could be friends with everyone in the world!

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. 99.9%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 99%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 95%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 90% I could be friends with 9/10 people in the world

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. 80%

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. 70%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. 60%

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. 50% I could be friends with half the people in the world

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  10. 40%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 30%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  12. 20%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. 10% I could be friends with 1/10 people in the world

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  14. 5%

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  15. 1%

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  16. 0.1%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 0.01%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  18. Less than 0.01%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  19. 0% Making friends is impossible for me in this situation

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  20. 0% It’s impossible for me to make friends with anybody

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  21. I wouldn’t be able to last four weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I wouldn’t agree to go to the island

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  23. I’m not interested in making friends to begin with

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  24. I do not wish to answer

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    The poll fever continues!!! :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

Here is today’s scenario:

The magical girl of evil and darkness appears in your bedroom one evening and promptly abducts you.

You are brought to a paradise remote island somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean full of materialistic luxuries of anything most ordinary people could possibly desire. The amenities are free for you to use, the food is all-you-can-eat, similar to luxury cruise liners — except this is an entire island.

You are told to stay here for four weeks. If you manage to stay the whole period, you will be paid a hefty sum as a compensation for your time — the equivalent of a top CEO’s salary in your country.

If you decide to go home before four weeks are reached, you will receive no money.

There is a catch though. Listen carefully to the conditions.

First, every visitor on the island is a perfectly random person from anywhere in the world (Note: gender and age is also random) who consented to be here under the same terms you have. A high-tech language translator has been provided to every individual to address any language barrier.

Second, you will be assigned a roommate that is completely random. The living arrangement is a suite where both you and your roommates have a private bedroom but shared common space.

Third, you must stay within a two hundred meter radius of your roommate at all times. If you and your roommate are separated by a distance of more than two hundred meters, both of you are automatically disqualified and sent off the island with no reward.

Fourth, there are no other rules except for the fact that you can wish to be teleported off the island at any time, and you will instantly teleported back to your life on Earth, which counts as a loss. Note: you cannot bring anything on the island back with you.
    At the end of the four month period, what is the likelihood that you will end up being friends with your roommate?

Personally, I define friendship as a desire to continue meeting up with your roommate after returning to your previous life on Earth.

One way to think of this question is to imagine yourself in this situation with 1000 perfectly random people across the world. Do you think you would end up friends with 1000/1000 strangers? Or maybe 10/1000 strangers?

Do you make friends easily with people when thrown randomly into this kind of four-week situation?

If no, what factors in another person make it difficult for you to become friends with them?

Are there any qualities in a person that would be an INSTANT NO! with regards to friendship?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. Master

Master [Old Pervert] [Grandmaster]

Reading List:
    Link
    A friend?... for enough money I could be your donkey.

A friend for 4 weeks? My parents would send me back to the motherland if I let such an opportunity slip by.

100% would make him/her a friend if we have mutual interests.

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to keep the magical girl of evil and darkness with me, can I do that :blobhyperthink:?

4. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, putting up with someone for four weeks to get the money is different than finishing the period actually friends with them.

You will get the money regardless of the fact if you end up friends in the end.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  5. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Is my roommate a loli with stockings? :blobpeek::blobpeek:

6. Lang10

Lang10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I need a few months to make a friend. My memory is shit, so I would need to spend more time with them. I would be more of an aquatinted.

7. Lang10

Lang10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Roll one d7000000.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  8. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:

If you lewd your roommate there’s a chance they could ditch you and flee and then both of you would lose!

9. shurixx

shurixx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm...I honestly can't make a friends fast because of my shyness and awkwardness buuuttt if it's the other party who takes the initiative well I can make a friend...hahahaha

10. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd definitely try to be friends with the stranger, respectfully and knowing the line of privacy. If it's in the real world I'd say I do have problems making friends because I have trust issues.

Sawanara murasaki and lychee like this.
  11. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd probably think they are my friend, but they probably won't think the same. I'm lonely...

lychee likes this.
  12. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Up until this I was like "yeah this is easy, unless the other person is super unlikable how could you not become friends?"

Turns out my definition of friendship is a lot looser than yours lol, I give myself a 5%

AMissingLinguist, Moy and lychee like this.
  13. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    What’s the number under your definition?

14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The question is... Is it a friend you are talking about, or an acquaintance?

15. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    My definition would just be someone who I would hang out with and mutually have fun with during the stay on the island, which I think would be fairly easy for the timespan of a month.

Under this definition, I'd probably give myself a good 50-60%, which is (probably inaccurately) accounting for major differences in culture in certain places across the globe.

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  16. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I would give a high answer but I'm pretty sure most of the world's population would despise my very existence (under the assumption that there are certain countries who would probably consider me their enemy) so I'd only be able to make friends with reasonable people who don't come from one of the many possible lunatic backgrounds. I'd be able to get that money no sweat though, since I can entertain myself in any environment.

Traveling Chef and lychee like this.
  17. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Is your actual day job inventing new reality television programming? Hmmm?o_O

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That seems like a really kind magical girl of evil and darkness, I think she should change her title to magical girl of fun and kindness~

Anyways, I think I'm pretty good at making small talk and would easily be able to stay 4 weeks with my roommate there, it shouldn't be too hard, it's pretty likely we'd have a good relationship during this time and I think I could consider them a friend because of that, so... I voted 80% on the poll.

That said, it's highly unlikely I'd care to keep contacts after the 4 month period was over, we'd need to match really well for that. So... If I were to use your definition of friendship, it would probably fall to like... 5%.

Essentially, I'd say I have an 80% chance of getting a casual friend and a 5% chance of getting a close friend.

19. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    it took me 2 years of being apart of this site before I ever posted anything....2 YEARS.
    I am adaptable so staying on the island and even getting along and staying near someone I hate is possible if it's only for a month.

but the chances of being their friend afterwards is 0%. sad? yes. lonely? probably. but I kinda like it that way~

AMissingLinguist, otaku31 and lychee like this.
  20. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobthinkingsmirk: I don’t really get the reasoning behind all these polls so I’m honestly just answering the “not answering” option in all of them...

:blobwoah: Anyway, I thought of myself as a very flexible and friendly person, having adapted to various lifestyles in 3 different countries so far and met people from around the world (In one of my current workplaces there are 18 different languages being translated) but one month in this forum and I already found some profiles I loathe.

Probably if I’m throw in this kind of situation, I would deal with it through a facade and just try to avoid conflict as much as one can. Even if I absolutely hate the person, unless there’s anything illegal or harming going on, it’s hard to act against it. I think that the other person would also hold back as much as possible to get the reward too so there’s that. The high quality translation thingie would probably be the most interesting stuff ever and I would be tempted to speak some nonsense slang in my native language just to see what happens. :blobmelt: Nothing offensive though.

:blob_coffee: I would probably be friends with them if they liked coffee...

AMissingLinguist likes this.