[Poll] Would you get rich through a magical tax?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 18, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much would you tax each person in the world?

1. Over a million dollars per person - bankrupt everyone!

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. $100,000 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $10,000 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $1000 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. $100 per person

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. $20 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. $10 per person

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  8. $5 per person

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. $2 per person

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  10. $1 per person

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  11. $0.50 per person

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  12. $0.25 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  13. $0.10 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. $0.05 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  15. $0.02 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. $0.01 per person

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  17. $0.005 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. $0.001 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. $0.0001 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. $0.00001 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  21. Less than $0.00001 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I would refuse the magical girl’s deal

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  23. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s well known that taxes are evil. @Tony made them for NUF, and clearly it is a constant drain on the NUF economy. Bad! Down with @Tony!!!!!! Rebellion!!!! :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

After being defeated by the Magical Girl of Love and Justice, the Magical Girl of Evil and Darkness brooded for some time to recover her powers. In order to restore balance to the galaxy, somehow she needed to hatch a scheme to stir the deepest hearts of human darkness.

Here is the plot she came up with:

First, she appears in your bedroom one evening and tells you that you as well as twelve others across the world have received this offer.

The magical girl tells you that she has the power to create a single tax on every single person on the planet, and the revenue of that tax will go straight into your pocket.

For instance, taxing $1 USD from every person in the world would result in $7.7 billion USD flowing into your wallet, since the world population is 7.7 billion people.

She also tells you that it is a magical tax. No money is directly lost or stolen. Rather, the tax occurs on the level of fate — and people will just be fated to gain $1 less in their lifetime at some point. Conversely, any money you gain will be fated to you, and you will eventually stumble upon that money legally at some time in your life.

That said — she is quick to point out that this is still stealing — even if you are stealing from someone’s future fate. It’s just that it’s virtually impossible for anyone to know.

So? What do you think? Sounds like a good deal or no?

Would you tax the world to enrich yourself? And if yes, how much?
    Note: the currency in the poll is US dollars, Euros, British pounds, Canadian dollars, Australian dollars — or anything at approximately the same order of magnitude.

2. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Augur』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    I would tax to enrich myself and only with the tax worth of 1 cent. .01x7billion is still in the millions. There's also a reasoning to this, how many people have lost spare change? Everyone has, so this minuscule won't affect anything.

AMissingLinguist, Snowbun and lychee like this.
  3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I would tax a penny per person. The penny is useless. Even if someone came up short a penny later in life, most places would just accept the one penny less.

This thinking only works, though, if the penny is the local currency. One US penny is going to have a different value to someone in a different country. I don’t want to take away money that’s actually valuable to someone.

4. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bankrupt everyone
    if karma and reincarnation is real then that is future me's problem

Ursula likes this.
  5. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Good job, you now have money that is worthless~ You have to look at it through an economic lens. I swear it's gonna be like the stock market crashing.

6. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bankrupts everyone in the future, not the present... pretty sure i could buy a country before the economy crashes since so much is taken i'd get hundreds millions daily......... besides i can just give every single person on earth a job by becoming the owner of a massive corporation through a series of lucky coincidences and business failures because of stupid mistakes made by other people basically becoming the leader of earth.

7. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    well id pick 10 cuz 77 billion should be enough to fund a space program and allow me to save the world by getting at least 3 quarters of humanity of the planet

whatevers left will be for catgirl program

8. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm:....as much as I don't like taking from others...yes I'll take 1$ from all the people's fates.
    1. No one is gonna miss a dollar in any currency and

2. No matter what this magical girl says I will never come across a combined total of 7.7 billion dollars. And

3. I can reinvest that money into projects that will either A. Make me more money. And B. Can be used to help all of humanity in the long run, such as various cancer or disease research.

AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  9. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that this would be more interesting with a smaller population, since with the whole world even if you take only a tiny amount from each person (having a negligible impact them) you'll be set for life.

If we used a smaller population (like your city or town or something) then there'd be a harsher moral dilemma, since in order to get filthy rich you'd have to make a significant impact on the lives of many people

AliceShiki, lychee and Traveling Chef like this.
  10. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    OP, you ever watch the anime, "C - the money of soul and possibility control"

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I would tax every human refusing their proper destiny of being a human slave of cats for 90% of their income. All that cash would be used as beds for the supreme beings that are cats!

No, no, not buy beds, they would sleep on the pile of money!

Kind of like this:

[​IMG]

Snowbun and Traveling Chef like this.
  12. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I havent! Is it good?

13. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    All must bow before the power of kittehs~

Snowbun likes this.
  14. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's interesting, and your question reminded me of it (betting your future on the stock market)

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  15. Lunaix

Lunaix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ¢50. Half of $7.7 bil is still a lot, and almost anybody can find ¢50 under a vending machine at some point.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  16. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He means that if nobody has it, it is not recognized or usable as a currency, which means you just "stole" a lot of useless paper. And if you can't see that, I'm not sure you'll do better than the other businessmen that failed.

17. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Lot of people in the world, I suppose 0.5 should be fair enough if necessary :hmm:
    But that doesn't mean that things need to reach that point, say for example some kind soul helps to stop those magical girls and thus serve justice :blobtriumph:
    Which reminds me, can I keep both magical girls with me? you know I am going to be that hero :blobpeek:

lychee and Traveling Chef like this.
  18. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Unrealistic. Pffft, someone needs to have some exposure to economics. Bankrupting everyone is akin to the stock market crashing. What would you do with money that is considered worthless when everyone finds that they have none, deals can be nulled and things change. Also do you have any practice in the terms of government? I can't believe you're trying to create a Mega-Corporation, you know how corrupt they are?

Off planet? To where? You know you're gonna have to create a system of life on said colony ship. I mean, looking at it, stasis pods aren't really a thing, at least not yet and there's also the reliance on electricity. The long term affects would cause our race in space as a whole to not be able to inhabit planets due to the effects of gravity over generations, it can be somewhat null'd in space unless we created artificial gravity which would also rely on massive amounts of energy.

19. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically the plot of the movie office space ?

That being said, i'm curious as to how this would actually take place. Would the amount if possible vanish in one go, or would smaller amounts be constantly removed ? What justification would be given to the people ? Or would people even notice it?

20. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the whole point actually.