[Poll] Would you get rich through a magical tax?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 18, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much would you tax each person in the world?

1. Over a million dollars per person - bankrupt everyone!

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. $100,000 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $10,000 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $1000 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. $100 per person

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. $20 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. $10 per person

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  8. $5 per person

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. $2 per person

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  10. $1 per person

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  11. $0.50 per person

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  12. $0.25 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  13. $0.10 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. $0.05 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  15. $0.02 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. $0.01 per person

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  17. $0.005 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. $0.001 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. $0.0001 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. $0.00001 per person

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  21. Less than $0.00001 per person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I would refuse the magical girl’s deal

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  23. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    Only thing to note, you wouldn't need to make "artificial gravity" if your ship moved in a way that created "Simulated gravity"

Though I say simulated gravity but it's all still called artificial gravity
    http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/ab...cial-gravity-be-created-in-space-intermediate

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm why not?

lychee likes this.
  3. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Augur』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    You would if you wanted to have efficient space in said spaceship, the width vs the length, which one is more efficient to build upon and within? The length. (Though then again you could build a ship that could use its length but to me it would be weird...) Then there's also the factor of the ship moving in different directions in order to either avoid things to large from lasers not being able to destroy them. To have a ship moving in one direction causing artificial gravity in one direction also makes me question how long will it take for A - gravity to slowly increase due to the speed increasing in friction-less space. And B - to lose said speed-gravity support in a space accident.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  4. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    20..... it's barely noticeable to ppl except in countries whereas its economy crashing...... why 20? Well...... i'm greedy that if i could get 154 billion dollars, why settle for 77? But at the same time i dunno what i'm gonna do with 770 billion dollars...... i could already see myself living as i wanted till the day i die and still had at leas 100 billion dollars left but leaving so little money in reserve is a bit disturbing (in case there's a crisis)....so..... yeah

lychee likes this.
  5. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    If you haven't you should check out the TV show "The Expanse" they answer a lot of the stuff you said and they show a fairly scientific accurate depiction of interstellar travel and space fighting

Short answer though small thrusters pointing in every directions for changing directions

6. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    0.01 € per person
    bcs everyone at some point of their live lose/drop it

7. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    buddy if this was reality im pretty sure an evil magical girl wouldn't give you the chance to steal money from the future of other peoples fate

alternatively realising i don't know shit after ½ a day of trying to build a corporation.....
    i'd just buy a bunch of lottery tickets since i'll magically obtain this money LEGALLY it's basically fate's gift and i'll win every time...

AliceShiki, lychee and gheist1234 like this.
  8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    $1

It's like those complex schemes in movies where they steal huge amounts of money just by skimming cents or a dollar from every single available account.

9. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    Well getting 10 $ less in your whole life would be really just like losing change, how many people lose a bit here and there? Over the years i don't believe it won't reach at least 10 bucks per person. So with this reasoning i would tax 10 $ per person and would net myself 77 billion dollars, even if the 12 others taxed me over 1 million each i would be rich as hell so wouldn't care.Before the market collapses because of them i would do what i wanted.

lychee likes this.
  10. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    The Isaac Arthur answer~ Small thrusters pointing in every direction for changing directions.

11. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm didn't know about him, I've been watching Because science on yt by I'll have to check out Isaac Arthur

12. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Just edited my post, look at the spoiler, I hope that was the right video about him talking about it...

13. Traveling Chef

Reading List:
    Link
    Once I'm at a better location I'll check it out, thanks~

14. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember trying to show these videos to my dad and his reaction to it was puzzling to me. It either hits on or off for people so, if you don't like it. Just consider it something to listen to and think about while doing other things...

15. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, I think the original scenario was not particularly explicit on how the effects of inflation track with time -- particularly since the time frame of how people are gaining and losing money with respect to fate is not very clear.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised there weren't any moral "purists" who refused to deal with the magical girl. :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

I thought there would be at least one person who would say any kind of stealing is bad!!!! :blobdead:

I think philosophically speaking, it's hard for me to put a number on how much money would be sufficient to make me "happy".

For instance, 77 billion dollars versus 154 billion dollars......... practically speaking is it going to make a difference in terms of your happiness?

:aww::aww::aww: I think you're the first person to mention in your post that you're considering what the other twelve players are doing!

--------------------

Here is annual world income distribution, just as an FYI for anyone curious:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gheist1234 likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm against stealing and wouldn't ever steal from anyone in a realistic scenario, but... In this magical scenario, the theft is just too small and the gain is far too big for me to care, really...

I mean, I don't care what the other 12 people do, I'd just get 1 cent per person in the world and become a multi-millionaire... I don't think I'd even care about the morality of stealing 1 cent... It's like when you find a 5 cents coin in the ground, you just pick it up and store in your wallet without caring for who might have dropped it... On the other hand, if you see a 100 dollar bill, you might start searching for the person that lost it.

When the amount in question is such a ridiculously low amount such as 1 cent... I just can't care enough to not get it, morally speaking.

mir and lychee like this.
  17. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    $1 has different buying power in different places, so if the magical tax magically calculated it by buying power instead, I'd take the equivalent of $1 (of buying power in america) (and that it would come to me in dollars, not foreign currency).
    I pick $1 because it's not enough for even a cheap meal, so I'd never have to wonder if I caused someone to starve to death.

18. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd refuse. What if somewhere out there, there's someone who's struggling so much even just a cent is important to them? Probably very unlikely, but still. You never know.

But my main reason would be the fact that I don't want to be a millionaire/billionaire. Sounds too stressful having to deal with other people, security, etc. I just want to have enough that I can live comfortably (like an average person) with my conscience intact.

The 12 other people wrecking the economy or taxing me heavily is worrying tho.

AMissingLinguist, otaku31 and lychee like this.
  19. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Twin! :bloblove::bloblove::bloblove:

Maybe I would answer differently on another day, but my thoughts for this poll are roughly the same, albeit for maybe slightly different reasons.

For me, the major points are (A) at my current situation in life, I'm not really that desperate for money, (B) I kind of have a laisez-faire philosophy to life (maybe karma?), in the sense that I kind of want to trust that life will turn out okay for me. I don't really want to do anything that would give me the slightest degree of guilty conscience unless I really need to.

I feel like if I took the deal and somehow expected there would be millions of dollars coming for me at a vague point in the future...

I mean, I work pretty hard at life/school/job, and I would hate having the feeling of not knowing if my (future) progress/accomplishments are due to my own work or because of some weird cheat in luck/fate. Maybe it's an immature way of thinking, but I want my results to be something that is a product of my own effort -- because that's basically the only way I'd be able to be proud of myself -- since I don't really see luck as something to be particularly proud about.

For instance, I'd rather make a million dollars from my own effort --

Rather than inheriting a million dollars from my parents...

...Is basically what I'm saying.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That makes plenty of sense tbh! And it does help your feelings of accomplishment for sure! ^^)/

On my end, I'd be able to dedicate full-time to my hobbies if I suddenly became a millionaire, and like... I have tons of hobbies that I wanna dedicate myself full-time to and that I will still get a feeling of accomplishment from. So getting the money out of the way would be wonderful for me, even if it was not something I achieved myself, I would just need to get fulfillment in some other way~

lychee likes this.