Discussion Fiction addiction Problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fictionaddiction, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried fasting, not because of fasting itself, but because I was too lazy to move away from my computer to make food, so I just went without. I dunno, just leaves me kinda hungry. It's about where you put your priorities. Novels over sleep. Sleep over anything first thing I wake up tho. I've ignored earthquakes before in order to continue my sleep. Food hardly ever takes priority for me.

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Fictionaddiction

Reading List:
    Link
    It's different when u set out to fast and when u do it accidentally. for instance when u set urself on a rigorous training path and feel the discipline. like u cant skip a training day. and when u just happen to do physical effort one day. basically its just about setting out to do something u don't really wanna do. that makes u able to face life. which u also probably don't wanna do.

Snowbun likes this.
  5. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Uwaaaah... the “don’t wanna face life” part resonates so much...

Anyway, if we’re talking about fasting, I do it almost on a daily basis. I try to follow the eight hour rule so anything with significant caloric intake is eaten/drink during this period. It helps keep my weight stable after I got lighter. On the topic of “forcing and stimulating yourself to accomplish a goal” I only have a stupid story of when I was also in my losing weight period. I dislike training but I needed to build muscles and strengthen my back and core because of bad posture acquired from a stressful office job. At that time, NGT48 (yes, the idol group) launched the 48 McDonald nugget box promotion. And I thought to myself “I love nuggets. I love eating. I hate this diet. I wanna buy it and stuff myself to death.” Which was a very idiotic thought btw because I was only redirecting my frustration for not losing weight “fast enough”. So I set up a even more dumb rule: “I’ll do 2 sit ups for every nugget I’ll eat for a month and then I can eat then all”.
    I spent 2 weeks doing 96 sit ups 3 times per week until I gave up and only did 3x10 sets after that. But bottom line... I didn’t get nuggets because I really didn’t need them and lost weight healthily after redirecting my thoughts.

Fictionaddiction likes this.
  6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I have about the same problem. I've always been a dreamer coz reality is boring. As a kid I worried if I was gonna get a job I'd love to do, instead of the usual disappointment most people find. I was bored in school so I was making a fool of myself. I remember first signs of this when I started playing computer games like pokemon emulated and wouldn't come out for days or a couple of weeks. My basketball couch said I was phlegmatic when I didn't cheer or look happy when winning. I realized I was, especially later in years when I failed tests and was like oh what you gonna do, no use fretting.
    I didn't know which highschool to apply for and then I didn't know which university. I ended up in a shitty 99.9% male high school coz of friends and that it was supposedly good. It wasn't, they said it was good like 40 years ago.

University took double the time coz I only studied the night before exams(and instead watching anime and started to get into web novels), I couldn't pull off not studying and passing the exams with ease as in elementary and high school. Then I thought I'd get a developer job easy but I barely learned shit about coding so I couldn't pass the tests before the interviews. Unemployed for a year and listening to my crazy folks, I only got trough because I'm phlegmatic so that fire of annoyance and humiliation I dealt with daily would soon die down. Then my uncle finally did something useful with his connections and I got a desk job. At first I was grateful and a bit happy, even if it had nothing to do with IT. Then I got the hang of the job and realized anyone could do this and it was very robotic. I was dying there when the fired me due to company not doing so good. I realized I needed to do something about my life and since I was thinking a bit more clearly due to working, I said oh what the hell I'll pay for a developer course even though I should know this shit and it's free on the internet but I can't force myself to study by myself.

Finally I got an a low level IT job, linux technician on web hosting. I loved at first and was even studying at home, but with the developer course still going I felt I had two masters. I decided I'd rather be a developer than an system admin coz it paid a bit better and was way more creative, so I finished the course and quit the job grinning like a fool(again I got the hang of it and it became robotic).

I thought I was gonna polish my coding skill by going trough best two coding books and then making my porftolio on github.
    After a few days of actual studying I thought I'd reward myself with fiction... and the cycle began. I kept wanting more and finding more fictions after finishing one and saying to myself I'll study after this fic. What it should've been a month to find a dev job turned out 6months and my folks were already getting crazy after 2. Then I realized fuck has it already been that long, one thing they had right, I should get a job and then work on my coding no matter how hard it is to do so along with a job(at least to a procrastinator like me).

My advice, sign up for a course of some useful skill which will give you schedule you have to attend to. Yes better to pay for someone to force you study than trying on your own and procrastinating. We're not like that guy on my last job who was reading linux and coding books for fun, when I was reading fiction to relax.

mir, Fictionaddiction and Snowbun like this.
  7. Fictionaddiction

Reading List:
    Link
    So , did it help with your self control?

Snowbun likes this.
  8. Fictionaddiction

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow you really hit the nail on the head here. You're so me! . I also said I'd continue improving when I finished college without the stress of a job by reading and watching tutorials . And guess what? I haven't learned much and I'm dragging my feet doing easy tasks doing stuff from home. A bit of a wakeup call was a post I read about a 50 Y/O woman who wasted her life on fiction. She said try doing stuff in your life and get out of the cycle before you wake up one day and realize you've thrown away a perfectly good life for a fictional one.

Snowbun and Jojo775 like this.
  9. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh well, I don't feel so good about being so like you, no offense to me or you haha. I wish at least I was reading novels that have value in literacy, that you can talk to other people about and learn stuff from, instead of fanfiction. Guess I'm still immature. We need discipline, just by doing things regulary they become normal. I always tried working out once in a while before giving up. Then once it just hit and I stuck to it, I started regulary going to gym and it stopped being such a bother. Though I stopped in the end when I got into Chinese course and the programming course(not at once) while working, I felt I didn't have the energy for both so I gave up on one. But it is possible, that's the point. IMO I would've turned out better if my dad instilled discipline into me, but he pretty much thinks he's done his duty by bringing in the money and that's it. His job has him being out of the country ~8months a year and when he comes back he drinks and lays on the couch, or bugs me with talk about sports or his work which has nothing to do with me.
    The best way to stop procrastination is to remove distractions and give it an effort at doing something. I mostly have no problem with n.2 but but n1 is impossible. How can I remove internet when I need internet for work or studying,coding. I guess it's easier for those who can get by with just a printed book or physical work.

mir, Fictionaddiction and Snowbun like this.
  10. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, in the beginning, fasting was difficult because I love eating and cooking but once I stuck to the diet and saw the results coming in, I knew I could go on. I wasn’t starving myself. Just controlling my timing.
    I’m a shortie Asian girl, 157cm, and weighed 62kg... I lost 11kg I’m now at 50-51kg for 4 years. My ideal weight should be around 48-49kg but...lmao I got lazy because that means trying to keep a 25% or less body fat level and constant muscle training.
    The gym is something different. I know how many benefits it brings me but I still don’t want to go. Lucky me, my husband is very disciplined and he always goes. So I, by default, want to be near him and try to go when he’s there but when our schedules don’t match because I do part time jobs with different shifts all the time, then it goes downhill for me...
    I went 2 times last week though and one time this week... I’ll go tomorrow and try to be a responsible person this month by sticking to it aaaah...

Fictionaddiction likes this.
  11. Fictionaddiction

Reading List:
    Link
    158 Cm and 55-57 Kg. I don't consider myself fat(though I have a big stomach from stress) , Its a matter of diff. cultures bec. here in Egypt they are into curvy girls , so I'm too thin or just normal by their standards. Anyway I'm glad you are able to discipline yourself. I'll start fasting soon too.

12. Fictionaddiction

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your pain . I only quit during the 4 years of college. of which I managed to get 1st of my class coz I really had nothing else to do but study. since I had no friends going into college.(p.s. only 4 were in the accounting major that year though coz the professors were no good).
    The reason for me quitting was bec. of 2 things 1) I vowed to only read novels I pay for if they were accessible. That means buying from abroad as long as it was published in an English speaking country then I should have no excuse (And since I had no money, that didn't go well) All ended when I found NU , Which had unlicensed stuff not posted anywhere. 2) I got a weird condition which no one believes .that is EMF sensitivity . I found that talking on the phone or sitting on certain computers gave me headaches, eye pain and inability to concentrate. (Which is now solved by me removing the WIFI and replacing it with wired Internet and placing a distance between me and my computer. and the phone I hardly use. So once those 2 reasons which may seem ridiculous to many people were removed I got back on the wagon . And that's when I realized I had a problem. Bec. fiction didn't help me as I thought , It only wasted my time and made me more depressed.

13. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to get headaches for looking at a monitor for long, I don't know if I changed or the monitors have improved(they were crt and first lcd then). I rarely get them now but my eyes hurt and get tired super fast if artificial light is strong(not counting old fashioned light bulbs). That's why my monitor is always at 0 brightness, sometimes more if fuking sun shines on it so I can't see.
    The difference is I don't have depression, I checked. I'm just content procrastinating and hardly notice that the time is passing by. Ask me when some movie came out, when was I last hung out with someone and I'll think it was recently when it was respecitvely years and months. I think I'm stuck around ~2015, since then pretty much nothing really good or important happened to me. People will say about something, that's old news from back in 2015 and I'll think, wasn't 2015 like yesterday? I keep telling myself just after this fic, then I'll get it done. When I start actually studying, I manage about half an hour before I start picking at my nails or thinking about stuff that annoyed me recently or old regrets.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    mir and Fictionaddiction like this.