Question Comparison of "death march" and your opinion

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deadmantellnotales, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    So I been reading "Isekai smartphone" (that LN about smartphone), and the LN is totally different from anime. There are so much content that cut from LN.
    So I been thinking "what about death march?"
    Coz death march been one of the worst anime I ever watched. The only thing I liked about the anime was the ending song.
    How is the death march LN?
    Is it same like "Isekai smartphone"?
    What's your overall opinion?
    Thankx

2. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Death March anime wasnt bad it was just slow and didnt skip enough to get into better parts. It was honestly low effort which is sad. Smartphone was the same but they covered more and had more action just some of the animation sucked.

3. Deadmantellnotales

Reading List:
    Link
    So, one just covered most of LN and got sucked(death march) and other tried to stuff more than it can handle (smartphone)

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel gave me a much more serious image than the anime. In the anime everyone seems very happy-go lucky while things in the novel seem more serious and grim (not a lot, but compared to the anime...).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The Death March LN is much worse than the WN, the manga makes it even worse and the anime makes it even more worse. So... standard affair...

6. Tanhalevi

Tanhalevi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read only the WN and I liked it a lot.
    Let me be clear.
    It's almost never "exciting".
    You will find yourself reading a typical and happy slice of life with, from time to time, great fights where MC gets to use some of the skills he learnt.

The novel gets better with time, but it peaks around the "Weasel Kingdom" arc, unfortunately I can't remember the volume.

The characters are cute and some of them (not many, unfortunately) also have clear motivations, objectives and story arcs.

It's a bit boring how much he is popular with girls and the "loli curse" is funny only because of it being canon (he has really been cursed to be surrounded by lolis and you can see how much distress it causes him, lol).
    On the plus side, despite being the typical jap MC that does not touch his harem, he has been shown to have needs and he has canonically gone to brothels and with grateful waitresses (after checking their statuses for illnesses, smart boy).
    He also has the balls to refuse to level up "Sexual techniques" to not cheat, 10/10 character.

I have not yet spoken of the best part, however, the Intermissions.

If I had to choose between being unable to read the novel and the intermissions, I'd choose to read the 2nd ones 100% of the time.
    Literally the best Non-MC POVs I've ever read.
    They are fun, cute and interesting and it's laugh-inducing seeing the protagonist's actions from outside.

I like the web novel, as I said, so I will obviously be biased, but hey.
    That's what I feel.

P.S.
    Yeah, the anime was terrible.

7. Galison

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read either ln just their wn versions be it I do have both ln versions on my book case. But from the end deathmarch was a little serious but hes op beyond everything so it rarely stayed serious. For deadman for death yes most of what the anime covered was honestly not needed for said anime I feel the next arc would have been better or at the least it felt like it should have had more episodes or already set in stone follow up seasons to go slow as they did. For smartphone hard ro say I'd have to reread early chapters to be sure as it's been a while. Over all both are series i enjoy but though wouldn't make good animes just due to their length and amount of content since they would need 50+ episodes to even try to do them justice. Which is why I'm sad the best isekai/harem is getting an anime as it's the same to much content to expect a good anime.

8. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    how come the LN be worse than the WN in this case?

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  9. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Just gonna say.
    Death March is pretty much slow paced both in anime and LN/WN. But the art is good enough that it didnt technically suck.
    But its really lack luster in the first 3 volumes. It only got good after Muno Arc.

Knights and Magic is both good in anime and LN/WN but due to only having 13 episodes they fast forwarded a ton of side character development which was a downside.

Demon Lord Retry got on par with how the LN/WN and manga in terms of story telling but the anime lacks dept in the illustration. Its lacks a ton of shading and they should really just stayed on what the character looks like on the manga.

Arifureta is hands down crappiest anime ive seen so far.

Mnotia and Deadmantellnotales like this.
  10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    They PGfied it and made it more bland. In WN, MC while being OP takes time to get used to his power and position and this leads to mistakes and deaths. In the LN, he is pretty much mary sue/superman from the get go instantly solving everything and not letting anyone die.

One of the best fights with the greater demon is removed for a half-assed one. And a lot of plot holes are added simply because the editors wanted the author to add new content to differentiate from the WN. And as you can imagine, if you force in new content into a preset story, you get a ton of flaws appear.

The LN literally feels like it was written by an editor rather than the author.

11. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    I felt the same, LN>WN... but I can't pinpoint the exact reason. long time last read.

tho I think it's because the LN is raw, it usually goes straight to action, lacking a bit in transition.
    The WN is clean and polished, but the transition felt like fillers. too much fillers.

smartphone... is just bland over all i guess. enjoyed it nonetheless.

maousama retry, the manga gave it justice. cute Aku is justice.

arifureta after story. that's the best part.
    If only they did the first episode normally, It won't be a train wreck.

slime s2 can't wait

12. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I am already at the latest chapters for death march and well i can say that the WN is very nice, the LN is okay~ish but it also has some parts that are better. The manga was very worse compared to the WN and the anime was just a piece of bullcrap. Also, things start getting pretty mysterious and it all starts kicking in at around vol. 9 or 10 i think.

13. Galison

Reading List:
    Link
    Arifureta I agree i enjoy the after story's way more then the main story and its longer as well lol

Sabruness and Deadmantellnotales like this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Due to the dying industry, anime are now just long advertisements/ commercials to buy the novels.
    Why should the commercial contain more content than the source?
    [​IMG]

15. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the new isekai anime in 2019 is pretty garbage or subpar honestly. I think the only one I'm looking forward to is Overlord season 4 if that comes out this year which it probably won't.

Side-note taking recommendations for novels with similar settings of an OP protagonist with OP highly relevant subordinates.

16. Deadmantellnotales

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there will not be an "overlord s04", coz they gave anime a good ending, like aiz created a kingdom and everyone lived happy ever after. On top of that, I heard the studio "madhouse" that made overload doesn't usually make sequel, something like that.
    And for recommendations
    Dungeon defence
    To be a power in shadows

17. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    So far maybe, but next season "should" be good. Bookworm and Make my abilities average. Just hope the studios did it properly.

18. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    For me the anime is average but better than Arifureta or most of isekai anime adaptation of 2019 :blobrofl:

The LN is obviously better and yes its better than Isekai smartphone :blobokhand:

19. Galison

Reading List:
    Link
    They dont do sequels because the studios tend to be booked so unless a company knows their doing another season at the start said studios tend to have other stuff on the table already.

20. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    That;s one of the usual outcomes. It's either that, the sequel is made a few years later because of scheduling or the sequel's handed to another studio who can do it sooner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.