Recommendations Wuxia/xianxia/xuanhuan protagonist that isn't a "lone wolf"

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by valantias, Sep 19, 2019.

1. valantias

valantias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I'd like to find some stories where the protagonist have companions that are present throughout the story. I don't care if it's sworn brothers/sisters, a love interest, a harem or close friends, but I'm kind of burned out on the lonely protagonist.
    His companions doesn't have to be by his side in every chapter of the story, but I'd like them to have a clear presence through it all. I don't mind if he's alone in an arc or two, but I don't want there to be hundreds of chapters before they meet back up. They should be of similar strength as the protagonist as the #1 reason that the protagonist's usally alone is because he grows much stronger much quicker than everyone else and thus leave them behind. So either the protagonist shouldn't grow too fast, or his companions should grow in a similar speed so that they can join him in his adventures.
    A protagonist that isn't a loner is the only thing I really want to find, but there are some bonus things that I'd appreciate if anyone could find. I'll compress it in a spoiler tag since they don't really matter and I don't really expect anyone to find a story like it, but bonus points if you find a story that have them as well as the non lone wolf protagonist!
    Generally, I'd like the story to not be... stupid for a lack of a better word. That's kind of broad and I know that all wuxia (that I've read at least) are kind of stupid, so I'll narrow it down a bit. I don't mind things like instant love or super luck. I do mind big things, like mindbogglingly stupid antagonists. I don't expect super complex or intriguing villains, but something like "I bet if I kill/injure and publicly humiliate the man she loves, she will fall in love with me instead" which is pretty much the template antagonist in wuxia, is fucking ridiculous. If some girl injured and publicly humiliated my girlfriend, I sure would dump my injured girlfriend for this other chick who just beat up the girl I love. Right? I don't need complex characters, but I'd like them to at least make sense.
    I'd like some consistency when it comes to power levels as well. I don't like it when the protagonist defeat an antagonist that is 5 realms higher than his own cultivation at the end of an arc, only to struggle in the next arc against people in the same realm as him. If the author makes him powerful enough to defeat enemies 5 realms higher than him, he should be strong enough to fucking demolish lower ranked people, but I guess that would go against the wuxia template of always trying to make the protagonist look like he's losing before winning, no matter the level of the opposition.
    Lastly, if the protagonist is hiding his abilities, he better have a good reason for doing so, not just doing it for shock value to impress everyone.

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IMPOSSIBLE

Toralk likes this.
  4. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    History strongest senior brothers. Decent until chapter 700 or so.

5. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a difficult thing...

I really can't think of one that fits your criteria. The ones that aren't "stupid" mostly have the mc as a lone wolf and the ones that have companions generally are stupid to a fault on a regular basis.

6. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Deleted member 38284

Deleted member 38284 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  10. wrightl

wrightl Wizards are better than warriors

Reading List:
    Link
  11. shianthiestrada

shianthiestrada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  12. readerread

readerread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Due to the way cultivation novels are structured it is nearly impossible to avoid the lone wolf issue. And even if side characters are present troughout the novel they will always be a lot weaker. Its just a matter of default broken settings and a scaling issue.

Toralk likes this.
  14. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales of Demons and Gods
    At least at the beginning half his cultivation is slightly slower than his comrades and he is only stronger due to experience. Up till as far as I read his companions(especially his harem members) are quite relevant even when separated but I stopped reading after a while.

15. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Great Demon King- it's harem, mc cathes atleast 2 every 10 or so, mc is smart, villians are ok. It's nice until his ascension.

Divine Throne of Primordial Blood-
    This one meets the bonus u asked for.
    Though I can't say they are intelligent, but atleast they aren't 2D, mc is portrayed to be smart and scheming. And the love interest is actually pretty well done, and he has his friends till where I read, dk if it will change.

16. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. X-Rates

X-Rates Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a point where the novel just suicides quality wise. And it has something to do with the harem.

19. ByZoKe

ByZoKe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Nine Star Hegemon Body Arts