Discussion How to run away?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Sep 19, 2019.

?

Is running away to another country an option? (You know the language)

1. Yup

44.0%
  2. Nope

20.2%
  3. Well, it is if you live in a backwater country

33.3%
  4. Another country? Whut's that? Can I eat it?

19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ICe

ICe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it the country he was born in one that gives citizenship on birth? if so that would make things a lot easier

2. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you'll be tracked down sooner or later.

3. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It does. Plus, tertiary education is free. So if he desires, it's possible to continue his studies.

ICe likes this.
  4. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Would people really try to track someone down?

5. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't they?
    The family will, for sure.
    The authorities will, if the person is in some sort of debt or obligation.

Snowbun likes this.
  6. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I'm still deciding whether the parents are the kind that looks for the protag or if they would be the "give up after a try type".

As for the debt. Definitely not gonna put that.

SummerForest likes this.
  7. ICe

ICe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that is great. more education is most often a good thing and more so if its fee. will be more trouble to work and learn at the same time though. is there any financial aid or grants he could apply for to get help while he studies?

depends on the motivation and situation. without more info its not possible to analyse. if the name isnt very unusual and you dont have certain identification its hard to find ppl without legal leverage. the system probably wont care to help search very hard either unless in certain circumstances.

8. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoops I might've been mistaken. Still, best of luck with your ideas then.

If someone decides to run away, it's often important to have an objective, perhaps a trusted family member emigrated to another country, parents passed away, guardians are not good enough, and so the character tries to reach their contact in another country. I've seen a movie about that, the MC tries to reach her mother who's note in the richer country, and needs to be helped along the way by sympathising characters. Or it could be trying to reach a brother who's emigrated after parents died in a fire, but the brother turns out to be working with some bad guys, so the protagonist ends up looking for their own path.

As you said, money, food, shelter are all important, but also transportation and contacts. Who can they trust? Who is willing to help a total stranger in need? How can he travel towards his goal? Who is willing to have them as an employee? If they're like street performers, who are those who will find him funny and give them money? What does the protagonist desire, where can they find it, how will they reach there, and who will help them along the way?

Snowbun likes this.
  9. ArashiKitsune

ArashiKitsune Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think how influential the parents are also play a role, especially if they want the runnawayee to do something like marry someone he/she doesn't love etc., since that influence can influence how far authorities are willing to go to get them back

Bad Storm and ICe like this.
  10. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    None, in thinking more on the line of balancing work and studies. Definitely hard tho.
    I was hoping the 6 month breathing space is enough to collect money. Then on a family vacation on the goal country, the protag would do the deed. The protag just wants freedom from the home. Is trust necessary to run away???

11. Emmyy

Emmyy Kadupul flower* blooms at midnight*dies at dawn

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok not criticize but I think the thread would have been better if you gave the info first now lets see..
    He is male wants to return to country he was born in and will be able to attend school.Parents returning to countryside in Somalia most likely can't afford to chase him down. He is then familiar with area so not really going to a strange place. He should know some people there if not he still knows the culture so can assimilate easily
    Question is why are they opposed to him literally moving back where he grew up?

ICe likes this.
  12. Emmyy

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most people couldn't afford an extensive search for someone. Authorities are overwhelmed in most places and wouldn't bother for an ordinary citizen imo

ICe likes this.
  13. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, the thread isn't about the protag at all. The thread was inspired by the protag. The difference is that I'm simply asking for important points when running away so I thought the info was unnecessary...

Because they expect him to stay with the family when in the first place he doesn't want to go to parent's home country.

14. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true. But I think the distance between the runawayee and the parents would serve as a good buffer.

15. Emmyy

Reading List:
    Link
    @Bad Storm you introduced the protag so I assumed it was about him lol:eek::p:eek:

Bad Storm likes this.
  16. SummerForest

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country, a lot depends on the police personnel entrusted with the search. If they are proactive, they'll in most cases find out the whereabouts of the missing person. But if they are not, then the chances are small.
    But it's always difficult to find someone who goes missing willingly.

Emmyy likes this.
  17. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    If you look around online for a while, you find a ton of stories about how people managed to live in foreign country with no contacts, or home country with poverty. Stuff like storing groceries in the work fridge, doing laundry in a public bathroom, and charging your government subsidized cellphone off a car battery, while living in a trailer with no utilities.

ICe likes this.
  18. Emmyy

Reading List:
    Link
    @Bad Storm Since I am totally doing nothing right now I put some thought into the protags situation as opposed to the thread question. It seems like he is your friend and confided his intentions to you. I think w/o knowing the person I find a couple things disturbing on a family vacation he plans on running away? that sounds terrible for everyone involved. I can't imagine how his parents would feel him 'slipping away'. There must be a better way to approach it. If he is of legal age at the time of the trip wouldn't it be better for him to tell his parents his intentions. They can't hold him against his will.

19. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, definitely not real. *pat pat*
    But yeah, that vacation slip away seems a bad idea.

Emmyy likes this.
  20. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is a story, then the basics are important: Food/Water, shelter, and living. Works for Bear Grylls, works for everyone really. ^.^

Depending on what the character has for skills will determine how they get those...

If it's a real person then....that is a longer conversation. ^.^

Bad Storm and Emmyy like this.