Question Comparison of "death march" and your opinion

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deadmantellnotales, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never watched the Death March anime, but the original novel was sort of bad to begin with so I can't imagine how it could be any good unless the anime made wholesale changes to the story. And even then, the original's main problem is that it has bland characters and a boring story so it's not as if there's any practical way of making it better.

Nah, it's all about money. If the publisher thought that it made financial sense to make another season of any particular show then they'd get it made one way or another. The problem is that these shows are primarily designed to drive more light novel sales so if the publisher feels that any particular property is saturated then it'd be hard to justify making more anime.

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  2. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever tried? Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria. If not consider yourself lucky

As someone who likes Isekai series i consider it a Trash Tier Isekai series of all Isekai series that got anime adaptation. If there's 1 novel that i liked to be erase from its existence then that would be Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria.

I highly recommend to ignore it, block it & forget it about it.

3. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no i forget which series it was but they were talking about why they choose to go with a different studio for the 2nd season and it was explained as such they didnt know it would be as big a hit as it was as such they didnt contract the original company for another season and by that time the studio was booked for all available teams Shows are thrown into the animation que for a lot YEARs before we even see an announcement so some of the top studios have to be booked years in advance. I think it may have been onepunch man the delay was 1 orginal studio already busy and the preferable alternatives booked as well so they had to wait so long for one they felt good enough was able to do it.

edit: Also on deathmarch i read the wn it more about op and slice of life with some stuff someone that read both said the ln were changed and the first few volumes pacing was slower and they choose slow to focus on the early slow boring parts first when they should have sped up it really did feel like they covered way to much of the boring parts for something that wasnt set for a 2nd season meaning the pacing would have worked had they had more episodes already in the works but as is it was to slow and to boring to no fans of the series. Personally this is what i worry about with the mushoku tensei anime coming out far to much content i just dont think they will do it well either to slow like deathmarch or to compressed skipping over some early stuff that is needed coupled with not enough episodes in either case to present it very well since personally i rate it as the best isekai/harem series period.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This might seem like a problem for fans, but these books tend to be very long running works so publishers don't lose a lot by having long breaks between seasons. In fact, there is a case to be made that long breaks can benefit certain works better than seasons released in close succession.

I'd actually say that the early part of Death March is more enjoyable to read than the later parts. The problem is that the characters being boring is less of an issue when the story is still fresh and there are still novel elements to encounter. Later on there's nothing really to recommend the story any more so the paper-thin characters become a lot harder to tolerate.

This isn't really a problem with better stories so I wouldn't worry too much if Mushoku Tensei is any good. Hell, shows like Konosuba tells us that it's even possible for an anime adaptation to outstrip its original story (although it'd be very hard for any other work to replicate the same success).

5. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ill admit i havent been caring about deathmarch the last few chapters i really dont care about the god crap and over all i honestly never got his hook oh his main elf wifu his early interaction just seemed to light compared to some of the girls to be so focused on her. As for mushoku i do worry because while the kid arc is good i prefer school and adult much more but again its going to be hard for it to get enough episodes to do it justice i think still. But i guess we can hope i originally though shield hero would be shit for most of the same reasons but it has turned out well be it i preferred the wn way more then the ln the anime and manga are based on it really was one of the series that massively changed between wn and ln.

6. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like "Death March" because it is basically slice of life with elements of adventuring. MC mostly socializing, and he does it in more or less logical and smart way, like a proper adult (as he is) unlike other protagonists of the same type novels. The later parts went into adventuring, which became pretty routine and it clearly shows that author is not good at it.

I hate anime the same way I hate Tsukihime anime. Cuto, cuto, cuto... Everywhere, including characters and their motivations...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.