Easy-to-read Chinese novels (or manhua)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by selkie, Jan 9, 2017.

1. selkie

selkie [kuragehime] [jellyfish lover] [swish swish]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello!

I was wondering if any of you knew any novels that are easier to read for someone who is at an intermediate level at studying Chinese?

Not unlike many people, I'm Chinese-American and my fluent vocabulary is limited to everyday kitchen Chinese. I can and have translated novels in the past, but I need to rely a lot on dictionaries like mdbg.

So basically, do you have any recommendations for someone who wants to practice reading easier things (like fiction targeted at the 初中 demographic or maybe a bit younger)?

Matsurika and akki like this.
  2. shianthiestrada

shianthiestrada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look for a slince of life... They should be easier to translate

3. lalalyly

lalalyly Digging translating pits and jumping into them.

Reading List:
    Link
    青春小说 ?

selkie likes this.
  4. Zero300

Zero300 『Mask Maker』『Kamen Rider Khaos』『Demon Immortal』

Reading List:
    Link
    look for a modern setting, maybe mystery or wuxia novel. don't aim for the xianxia or the supernatural

5. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've personally found action novels to be easier reading than slice of life. Try this one: http://www.33yq.com/read/31/31474/5231441.shtml

6. ninish

ninish ✿Fujoshi✿ [#224~] [Dʀᴀɢᴏɴɪsᴛ] [Lᴜʀᴋᴇʀ Lᴇᴇᴄʜ]

Reading List:
    Link
    how about 1/2 prince by Yu Wo? it's complete, and completly translated as well, so if you find yourself lost in the meaning of a sentence you could compare it to the translation. 。^‿^。

it also has a manhwa. as for its actual level of chinese, i am not sure.

SmoggyBelle and Wujigege like this.
  7. lovelyxday

lovelyxday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that TJSS novels use very simple vocab...or maybe I've translated too much.

8. mtkiseki

mtkiseki 「Kiseki」「♥」

Reading List:
    Link
    translated too much
    ZE kills me @lovelyxday
    mainly because of all the technical stuff
    TJSS gets really technical for his novels and throws a bunch of random terms out (too many to memorize)
    easy to translate/read would be slice of life romance or romance drama with uncomplicated settings probably
    it depends on what field your vocabulary is in though
    everyday CN... *shrugs* I would say romance... but it also depends on the author

9. underwaterrain

underwaterrain

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you considered harry potter in chinese? I remember reading that when I was 12-ish and I could read most of the words, plus if you like harry potter it can be more enjoyable for you even if you need to rely on dictionaries.

ebonykun and lalalyly like this.
  10. mangaling

mangaling Less than average

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm irish-chinese. Like you, my chinese vocabulary is limited but my reading skill is like primary school level. My first chinese novel I read is Demon Wang Golden Favourite fei. It's easy enough and I got the gist of chapter to make a summary.

11. CluelessClover

CluelessClover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about for beginners like me? Any easy to read novels?

12. SmoggyBelle

SmoggyBelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1/2 Prince is a really good book for beginners imo. I'm Chinese but I used to read english novels when I was young, my first chinese novel was 1/2 prince and it was really easy to read, plus the story was interesting enough to keep me hooked. (keep in mind that my chinese was only borderline pass during highschool OwO)

13. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try look for printed book instead,
    I must say 7th to 9th grade can be difficult to people who have not grow up in china.
    My recommendation should be https://baike.baidu.com/item/淘气包马小跳/5136 <淘气包马小跳> it's similar to books you read in 4th grades to 5th grades.
    It have 6 billion sales in china, so basically there shouldn't having errors or things, and can make it easier to bait the cake. It's not really efficient in reading long full length novels with hundreds of page as you need dictionaries to understand them, than to read a short story with a thousand or two words. I can order you some magazine to your address if you are interested.
    i'll sent an example 上等人,中等人,下等人, of cause from 15 years ago, it's was targeted at 8th grades, but as years pass things actually are harder now. so don't be surprise when articles for 6th grades are harder than this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019