Would you put that in your head?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Sep 21, 2019.

?

would you get it?

1. Heck yeah, sounds cool

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. sure, what's the worst that could happen

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. no, I don't really see a point in having that

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Absolutely not, that's terrifying

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. meh, either or.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    So I noticed some poor souls earlier expressing confusion about why anyone would want cybernetic enhancements, but here I am anxiously waiting for the day when technologies like Neuralink take off and we have high-resolution data on the state of our own brain at any moment we need it.

As a programmer, I can think of all sorts of advantages for this, especially when it comes to training a neural network (AI) in a task. For example, when I was working at a pharmacy I would count pills out by hand. However, it should seem obvious to some people that this process could be done automatically rather than relying on pure human focus. One option is to weigh out the pills on a scale and estimate how many pills there are by weight, but that is a bit inaccurate for something so important like a person medication. You might also think "couldn't we just have a camera look at the pills and count them?" well, that's a pretty complex problem that requires too many variables to sort out by hand so I'd expect most modern programmers would use a neural network of some sort trained in visual recognition. However, the issue comes in the act of training said neural network; since you essentially would have to just manually tell the AI what's up with the image until it figures it out which could take thousands of samples. However, if I were to determine the Neural network's fitness based on the state of my brain (my brain being interpreted by another neural network trained by hand to tell when I'm happy with it) then I could easily just watch the neural network try to solve the problem and it would have instantaneous feedback from me on whether it's going in the right direction. I did give a simplified explanation on the subject, but you get the point.

Another use would come in controlling extra limbs. You could easily get a third robot arm linked up to your neural interface and after some mutual training between you and the neural network interpreting your brain patterns (perhaps some guidelines from a neuroscientist would be in there as well) and then boom, you can now hold and move things while working on them with both arms. This will make it totally obsolete for dads to make their children hold the light for them and hand them tools when working on their car or some kind of renovation.

What do you guys think? After enough testing, would you be willing to have someone (a robot) surgically implant a whole bunch of tiny wires directly into your brain through several small holes in your skull?

Snowbun likes this.
  2. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would I open my mind/body to be directly hacked and infected ?

Femme Fatale likes this.
  3. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    So that you could directly hack other people? I don't see the project adding a function to stimulate the brain with the device, simply to read it. The third arm might get hacked though.

sapassde likes this.
  4. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless Artificial Neurons are made, especially those for the brain. I wouldn't opt for it unless that came to be. But it's still a horrifying notion. There's still a reason why I don't understand wanting cybernetic enhancements. Simply because it has the possibility of turning you inhuman. There's also Body Snatching being capable through it. And there's the I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream scenario.

sapassde likes this.
  5. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on the connection type. If it was wireless then it could be hacked but if the connection was via a closed circuit it will not get hacked unless someone knocked you out then forcibly installed a wireless receiver

6. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    You literally put what could possibly go wrong

7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Cue Mind Control and BBM tags flying in.

The notion is cool af though, an extra arm... or to pilot Barbatos...

8. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    It would also make it easier to get information out of a person, you don't need to interrogate. All you need to do is hack them, take every bit of information they have then throw away their body/corpse.

9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    By the way, Neuralink is being designed for Bluetooth.

10. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably won't do anything to my brain. A lot of secrets not meant for mortals are in there. I was never into sharing anything on social media, why would i do something equal to willingly share my search history in incognito mode?
    Probably no for third arm too unless its detachable because think of how hard it is to sleep. If anything, i prefer if they could make artificial organs, so that those on the list doesn't have to wait for a suitable donor.

Arbelbyss likes this.
  11. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine getting cybernetic neural implant spam...

"OH GOD THE POPUPS!!!" :blob_teary: "How do I close these ads! THERE'S NO X TO CLICK!" :blobfearful:

Doctor: "He tried to remove his eyeballs to get rid of the spam... it didn't work." :facepalm:

AkunDami likes this.
  12. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I wonder how Anti-Virus would fit into that.

13. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Extra limbs?
    I saw Spider-Man for the PS4, I know where this is going..
    You can't fool me! :blobcat_rawr:

Arbelbyss likes this.
  14. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    Just reformat it's quicker. :blobokhand:

15. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would Accel World's means of cyber-network via CNS.

16. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm older. It's basically relegating your cognitive free will to the people that made them. It's still the way forward to the future i can understand that but I'd rather keep my free will for when I'm still active.

17. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    I see you desire the tentacle hentai.

Reformatting is questionable on Human Operating Systems...

18. Omnicast

Reading List:
    Link
    Human Operating Enhancement Systems: HOES! :blobsmilehappyeyes:

19. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't even mean to have the third arm attached in the first place. It's just a robot arm you control with your mind, no need to have it implanted into you. You could also potentially control larger systems with it, like your car. (I think some guy on youtube already made a mind-controlled car...)

20. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, if the technology has already been proven to be mostly safe. The neuralink would make the current VR headsets a complete joke. It would completely blur the lines between movies, music, and games.

UnGrave likes this.