Discussion What if ancient nobility watched science documentaries?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    As the the title says, how would they react and what would they do if in some king's castle everyone of import watched a full series of science(~15h) documentaries from historical discoveries to present.
    This includes Darwin's theory, round Earth, not center of the universe, atoms, microbes, gravity, pressure, light......quantum theory.

KizunaAi likes this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    They'll go for a witch hunt

3. LesserSarcasm

LesserSarcasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How are you gonna explain the tv/computer and how are you gonna power it. Answer those first before you worry about how they react to what is shown

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Hateit1143

Hateit1143 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At most they will declare it as a heretic knowledge and ban it throughout the lands. If by chance one of these nobles is ambitious enough to harness the knowledge without being known to utilize them, then a whole sort of mayhem will happen with various changes in power structures or something. At least how I see them reacting.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Cheese7542 likes this.
  5. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what you define as science documentaries. There are a whole bunch that have been disproven with further knowledge or are deliberately misleading to lend support for a cause.

And I point to the second one as problematic because it might be actionable, but for a different reason. I.e. flat earth documentary. They'll point to it and say, "this is truth."

philosopher17 likes this.
  6. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    In Ye old Times: 'What Blaspemy is this?! This foul, strange device would cause our heads to explode due to the sheer sorcery of these...'Science' that are curse by a witches' hex! Burn this cursed item, the witch and behead the person who brought this to me!'

In fantasy: 'What the hell is this magical device? Science? Can this be a new form of magic i never heard off?'

Cheese7542, Kuro_0ni and BigBadBoi like this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    What if they watched hentai?:blobpeek:

8. deanadiktus

deanadiktus day-night reversal

Reading List:
    Link
    Amazement+doubt+curiosity+panic+bewilderment=chaos(that sh*t's gonna be a national secret sealed in some hellhole):hmm::blobdizzy::blobfearful::facepalm:

9. TheElza

TheElza Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer would be "fapfapfapfapfapfapfap"

elengee likes this.
  10. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    The question is, would ancient nobility care to understand science?

Its 50/50 some would and some wouldn't. There's a reason why the dark ages was a dysfunctional period in history

11. polarbot

polarbot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most probably will be regarded as heretic as shown in the past etc between church and Galileo Galilei. Coz church has high influence in ancient nobility.
    Tho I really want to see what will happen if they watch hentai....for academic purposes:blobcat_hyper::blobuwu:

elengee likes this.
  12. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    It's projected by a hidden projector which magically vanishes aftewards, not the point of this thread....
    Pretty sure I mentioned round Earth and aspects of physics so obviously I'm talking about real documentaries. If you wanna talk about quack documentaries being presented as the truth to the ignorant, that's a spin off.

15. Sniperwulf

Sniperwulf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There brain would probably explode or at least melt

16. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Define "ancient" nobility. The way I see it, most nobility from antiquity, so Pharao's till the rise of christianity circa 200AD, will accept most of our science as plausible. It'll probably vary per culture group and none of them will accept ALL information, but they will most likely give it a good think.

During the Medieval period, there would probably be a witch hunt. Less so in the Islamic world, who might be more similar to antiquity in regards too research, but even they would start witch hunts.

From the Renaissance onwards, the nobility might be accepting of a lot of information, but venomously reject everything undermining their own interests. Actually, rejecting everything that may harm their interests is kind of a staple for nobility.

Example: While it may be a proven fact that educating everyone will increase productivity etc, it also creates a situation where a dungcovered snot-nosed peasant boy could actually be smarter than your prized son, the product of years of selective (in)breeding with superior genes! Or even worse, women might start asking for equality! Slavery and serfdom would become unnecessary, at the cost of a nobles own standing.

In short, whatever benefits the ruling class, the will use. Everything else will get buried, burned, killed and stamped as big, fiery HERESY.

17. Cheese7542

Cheese7542 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably just call it heresy or that you are blaspheming their god

18. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    If you remove Christianity from the mix, then it becomes difficult to say...

19. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really religion has been used as a tool to consolidate power throughout most of history. Just isolating Christianity shows how little you know of world history.

20. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hence my first point, documentaries disproven when we obtain further knowledge. Like one on the 9 planets. Nope, it's 8 now. Are you calling that 9 planet documentary a quack now?