Hello Newbies! A Welcome Thread for You Reader!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FlowingSong, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Troublesomeone

Troublesomeone Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends, once again. I haven't read the two titles you've listed, but magic can vary greatly from book to book. When it comes to CN webnovels, I don't know where to start. They're so long! And the descriptions, more often than not, appear incomprehensible out of context. I have no idea where to start, as there's so many.

For world-building, I enjoyed 12 Kingdoms (technically isekai, but has non of those negative tropes) and Seirei no Moribito (which only has one volume officially translated into English - the anime version is also magnificent).I'm currently reading Rakuin no Monshou and it's holding up too. These stories, however, appear to be in the minority. Magic is present, but there's no RPG-type level-upping, which I find removes a lot of potential depth. I like magic; a lot can be done with it, when implemented effectively. Incidentally, they're all JP-novels, but that's purely coincidence. I have yet to branch out.

I also like stories where the characters suffer, are not OP, but still have a purpose/will, and where there is a chance of death and tragedy. Action, war, sci fi, such like. Unfortunately, these genres seem infested with harems. To clarify, it's not harems themselves that are irritating - it's that many stories appear to exist purely for the purpose of adding to them. And the subsequent objectification of these 1 dimensional girls that really don't need to be there. After so many negative experiences, I avoid them on principle. I could also just be looking in the wrong places.

2. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    *likes!*
    ohh.. rakuin no monshou.. true.. thats a good one.. how about grimgar of ashes and snow? its a serious one too.. oh.. like filler events huh..

Troublesomeone likes this.
  3. Troublesomeone

Troublesomeone Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >.< Ironically, that's the only one I didn't list, but have read. Until about volume 5, where I decided it was beginning to decline.

4. Lunamelt

Lunamelt Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dum dum de dum! I am embracing the energy...

5. Snoweee

Snoweee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Snoweee here!

I actually joined novelupdates last year with the purpose of saving all my favourite novels in my reading list ( and also because I am SHY) . It is just recently that I decided to mingle around social media or sites like this to share my thoughts as I started living alone... (I need friends lmao!! ).

Anyways I reallyyy love web-novels so much that I wanted to learn different languages to understand those stories without waiting for translation updates or racking my brains to understand MTL... i love both novels that has a ancient and modern settings as long as the

6. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    welcome to the forum and have fun here

7. Faisling

Faisling Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone,

You can call me with my username Faisling.
    Originally from France, my English needs to be improved, however I am an amateur writer.
    I appreciate escape from reality by reading.
    The work that I appreciate the most is a Haruki Murakami novel entitled "Kafka on the shore".

Nice to meet you.

Inker and orematcha like this.
  8. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to NUF

Faisling likes this.
  9. Taratara0905

Taratara0905 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello!

sorry for my english... I'm not good at it..
    I'm korean living in South korea
    You can call me Tara!
    Hobbies/interests: Reading? I'm here to read some chinese novels.
    Genres you read often/tags you often look for:
    Fantasy/Romance/BL. I also read a lot of these kind novels written in korean so I'm shifting to chinese. If you have something to ask about korean novels just feel free to ask

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to nuf and may you have a fun stay here

Taratara0905 likes this.
  11. Invisible ink

Invisible ink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me: Addicted to novels and comics.
    Love creativity.
    I like novels which has new plots and would be broken heart if I find the same plot in other novels.

12. Pope_of_floof

Pope_of_floof Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: irl name is reyna. But just call me floof or pope. Either or.

I like cooking, reading, jumping repeatedly in one place, and fanfiction.

I love apocalypse and post- apocalypse where they dont worry about the civilisation. Because ima be honest i was dealt a bad hand in life and kinda like the freedom apocalypse mcs have.

Also like isekai. For the same reasons
    Also i love power trip mcs. I like it when they gain power and use it to enforce their freedom to do what they want. Dont really like novels where they are given some overall mission to complete

I absolutely HATE harems. I just do. Im cool with the occasional fling but harems? i just hate them. Which is why i usually have a hard time finding any apocalypse or isekai novels that suit me.

Tilgarial likes this.
  13. Esthoth

Esthoth New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Akos Esthoth

Love anime manga and light novels.
    I started writing a light novel at the beginning of the year and am almost finished and now want to show it to people so I am here to get some exp.

14. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    I didnt read the entire thread

I havent a current intention to do so

Im lurking yo

I like reading but not watching

I like lightnovel, webnovel, manga, book, translated, originally english...

Lotsa stuff. My interest is wide range

There are stuffs i dont like tho

And i might not be very well read. *shrugs* i seem to know some niche stuffs?

OnceandFutureLurker and fuyuuri like this.
  15. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Welcome to the Forum, Lur-Lur :cookie::cookie::cookie::blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blobcatcop::blobbunny:

Lurking likes this.
  16. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to the Forum, may you find what you want and have fun on the way

17. Ill_sleep_when_im_Dead

Ill_sleep_when_im_Dead Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Just call me Sleepy if you please!
    Hobbies: Obsessive consumer of all fantasy based media. Video games, movies, manga but mostly books books books! I've got and read so many there's no space left in my room for more shelves and you can barely stand anywhere. My sister believes me to be a goblin who collects shiny things but shes wrong. Im a book wyrm and its a dragon hoard, I am very proud.
    I'm a huge nerd for fantasy so you can only guess how excited I got when I first discovered translated novels!
    If I could marry a book it would be Lord of the Rings. If I could marry a video game it would be the Witcher 3.
    I read all things fantasy, adventure and xianxia with a bit of romance mixed in of course.

I've read a ton of great reincarnation novels recently with both male and female MC's but I think two of my very favourites would have to be:

Mesmerizing Ghost Doctor - I couldn't tell you exactly what sets MGD above most of the other fem reincarnation novels I've read but there's just something so charming about the MC and there's a big bonus because her family actually care deeply for her as opposed to the usual back stabbing white lotus sisters and green tea bitch mothers. I also think the blooming romance is more comedic than anything, which I love. The "our lord is cut sleeve" 100 chapters were perhaps some of my favourites pffthaha.

The other: Douluo Dalu! - The world, the magic system and all the characters just stole my heart and never gave it back. There's just something so fantastical about the magic system and the leveling that I found so wonderfully original, I'd never read anything like it before. The MC is such a wonderfully devoted and strong willed guy who you really just want to win! win! win! Yeah there's some gold finger moments but god did I enjoy the ride. Shrek's Seven Devils eat your heart out!

Greetings to you all - I hope we can get along ovo)/

Lurking likes this.
  18. Joker404

Joker404 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello there, nice to meet you all.

19. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Heya sleepy!~
    Nice to welcome you into NUF :'p

Right off the bat I'll make a recomendation!
    Martial arts Master: its got some really sweet romance, and is a xianxia (or was it wuxia? ...I'm not sure)

And also, try out https://www.scribblehub.com/ its from the same maker as NU, for originals in english instead of translated works :'p

Lurking likes this.
  20. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    welcome to the forum