Overclocking ram sticks.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, Sep 24, 2019.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2019-9-24_6-42-35.png
    upload_2019-9-24_6-44-6.png
    Overclocking ram is a lot harder than overclocking CPU.
    it benefits really little in real life, but it's a big deal in bench marks. I get a 11% increase in 3d mark time spy Cpu test. 8100 to 9000 by overclocking ram from 3000mhz to 3400mhz.
    graphic cards use Gram, so you don't benefit from increase FPS this in game, but you do benefit from the increase the risk of the game crashing.

for newbies, go to bios, enable XMP, select a profile and you are done.

For the rest of the hardcore PC builder and pc master racer. It dependents on Intel and AMD. Intel is easier to overclock compares to AMD, higher frequency, Lower clock = better performance.

For AMD,for serous people who need the multi-core and double the cache.
    Fclk

for AMD there is an extra settings in your bios called FCLK, you want to get this as high as possible. AMD claimed all 3000 series can get a Fclk of more than 1800, some Cpus can get Fclk to like 1900. the highest should be 1933 golden chips. higher Fclk = higher performance, this performance is quite literal. AMD claimed all 3000 series cpu can have a fclk of 1800 but some percentage of cpu couldn't reach that amount (expected).
    I can't really tell you how much a higher fclk increase the performance as I don't have a AMD chips.

Infinity (limited) fabric ram latency.
    your ram frequency should not go above 3733MHz. after 3733MHz, you will get a worst performance than 3733Mhz.

For Intel, For weeb who have no care for security
    Always Aim for 6500MHz, beat that record before TOPPC get it again. If you did, congrats your the current ram overclocking world record holder now. if you can't, than try hard.
    If you are using i3 with out K or i5 without k and i7 with out k? ( need conformation not sure who will buy non k version of i7 though) , you might only play 133 Fsb.
    nothing else really.

Walk though,
    by now, AMD user should now, getting their Fclk as high as possible, and intel user have already know that they suck so bad they couldn't get it to 6500MHz no matter what. Now the first step you need to do is set your Dram voltage to 1.5v to 1.6v and PCH voltage to 1.4v to 1.45 (you get get this higher for amd x570 as they come with mother board south-bridge build in fans)
    no worries ddr3 ram are 1.65v by default to even run and they didn't do boom like Samsung sadly. ddr4 ram can go way past 2v. Some of you might find a 10 years or more articles on why you should not increase it more than 1.65v, that's for ddr3. ddr4 can eat alot more voltage and make it fast.
    PCH voltage = chip set voltage on your motherboard it depends on your mother board models and the size of heat sink on your motherboard. usually is the vrm of motherboard go boom and not the chip sets so it's fine to get it a bit higher, south bridge = memories controller, more voltage = more stable.
    ryzen chips might have a vpp voltage, it's the same, add voltage more stable. should be fine at 1.5 i think? I never build an ryzen, not a fan of amd yet.

first read the optimal frequency and clock calculator, there should be a menu with 3000MHz c15, 3200MHz c16, 4200MHz c20, or so
    than push your frequency to as high as possible and cas to as low as possible.
    so what if you can only choose one like increase frequency by 100 or reduce cas clock by 1? easy run what ever cpu bench mark you have and take the better score.

After you can't get any better in frequency and cas clock, (it's not over yet) you tune tRCD for intel, tRCDRD and tRCDWR for ryzen. As usual get that as low as possible, it's quite a changeling to overclock them.

after that there are sub timing configuration and turnaround timing configuration, basically setting timing for your ram. THEY ARE REALLY IMPORTANT. if you give up in one by one dropping the clock for 20 over timing than you will just be a casual. If you think being casual is fine, you can skip every thing els and only try to decrease tRC.

Troble shoot (why can't I overclock),
    why can't I overclock in 2900MHz, 3000MHz?
    intel i3, i5, non K version of cpu can't overclock in 100 fsb even if you are using an z390 motherboard. Most motherboard will remove the option of 100fsb and only showing 133fsb.

what ram is the original post using?
    I'm using Team 3000MHz 8Gib ram x1 and corsair 3000MHz 8Gib ram x2 in an one dimm per channel corsair and a two dimm per channel corsair + Team Group. basically a 1dpc and a 2dpc combo.

why not team Group a channel and Corsair a channel to increase compatibility issues?
    corsair work magically with Team groups ram, as both are 8x1Gib die and both probably use the same shitty memories die, as both are dirt cheap at 40 usd. the die probably from adata or some other unknown china factories. originally i brought 2 Team group ram but they have compatibility issues. to i sent one of them away and buy a pair of new ram corsair. same price so most likely shitty die from the same factories. when they are the same, it dose not matter as they work fine perfectly.

why is my 3200MHz stock ram only run at 1066MHz?
    You need to enable XMP to run at stock frequency, XMP = overclocking, so overclock.

what is the different of t topology vs daisy chain?
    daisy chain allow a single ram stick to run at 90% or at 60% signal strength, while T top run at 80% singnal strength. so basically Daisy is stronger in one dimm per channel configuration. (the real reason is that daisy chain is cheaper for manufacturer to made.)

what is one dimm per channel(1dpc) and two dimm per channel(2dpc)?
    one dimm per channel = one dimm at A1 slot and one Dimm at B1 slots. basically 1 ram stick use a channel.
    two dimm per channel are basically 2 ram stick use a single channel.

why do my pc drop dimm(掉dimm)?
    depends on how many dimm you drop, let say you have 4 slots, all full up. and you drop two of your dimm.
    check your sockets, some of the pings are not connected fully or one channel of you cpu broke.
    If you drop one of your dimm, check your mother board, change your ram stick and try again, if cant probably your motherboard is damaged. common place, cpu cooler damaged your motherboard.

how fast/much should I overclock?
    always aim above the world record.

can I overclock different brand of ram?
    It's not good the buy ram separately, always buy 2 or 4 in a box. if you need two, you have to take in an account of your die configuration, 16Gib ram stick could be 1x16, 2x8, 4x4 configurations. you must also check the factory of your die. hynix and micron pair together is not going to get you an amazing result. if you can overclock by buying an different configuration and a different factory of die, go by a lottery, gods with you.
    If you can't overclock, it's perfectly normal.

How do original post do it?
    I did my home work

What brand of Ram you recommend?
    TridenZ and HyperX

What is daisy chain strength with different configuration?
    daisy chain can connect one dimm per channel at 90% strength, or 60% if you do it wrongly. and 80% strength for 2dimm per channel. don't worry, motherboard will tell you that you are stupid that connect the ram wrongly and will kindly ask you to fix that in a well understandable manner.

Die rankings https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/add-on-to-ram-oc-with-die-rankings.95327/

If you find this post is resourceful please leave an Like and share, Don't forget to follow for future amazing post. If you have further questions please leave a reply below. Original post Novel update forums. Author: xiazixin. All resource by xiazixin. CPUZ is a product of MSI, Dragon center is a product of MSI.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Lord Luc, raitei and mystichead like this.
  2. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha
    Wanna hear a joke?
    my board can't oc
    Xd

Atamahead027, TamaSaga and xiazixin like this.
  3. lilly2805

lilly2805 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't understand anything in that :blobsleepless:

xiazixin likes this.
  4. Atamahead027

Atamahead027 Pleasure Research Club President

Reading List:
    Link
    i take that this thread is racist against the user of pc master race whatever their pc spec.

YOU SHOULDN'T ABUSE YOUR RAM

STOP RAM ABUSING

STOP IT.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    xiazixin likes this.
  5. mystichead

mystichead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really is much easier nowadays lol... SOOOO much easier

I was originally coming into the post expecting a question (rather than a well-detailed guide) of if and how to do Overclock RAM

and I was gonna chime in that as of the past 3-4 years there really is no useful degree of benefit to it (application or even raw data/numerical crunching or compiler boosting wise) that comes with the tradeoff of the instability and heat etc.

buuuuuut... you seem to not just know that..... you know this whole thing very well, more up to date than I am... and are properly only doing it for enthusiast purposes

well done on the guide

xiazixin likes this.
  6. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Overclocking ram give little performance in game fps, do increase the chance for crashing though. Unless your using Ryzen, but all AMD can overclock ram cause their mother board cost more.

basically for average people who not in to overclocking, just enable your XMP so your money is not wasted.

I post this only for Fclk lol, as most people open xmp and forgot about it. but there is little reason other than benchmark.

lilly2805 likes this.
  7. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use z370 aorus gaming 5 and I checked that I can't oc anything and I have xmp enable

xiazixin likes this.
  8. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    select an XMP profile, or manually increase the voltage and frequency, reduce the clock. there should be an OC menu in the bios page for that.

9. AkaNoOu

AkaNoOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just download more RAM

mystichead, ReadOrDie and xiazixin like this.